• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Merry Christmas!!! No Not a Mistake!!!

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I have mentioned before that the Armenian Cathedral here in Jerusalem contains relics of Saint James, namely his head! Today the Armenians are celebrating Christmas since they continue to abide by the Julian Calander. It was a wonderful mass, positively medieval, sung in Armenian, but macho/military in nature, they have always been a persecuted minority. So MERRY ARMENIAN CHRISTMAS!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Any DNA on that head? Probably a little morbid but nice to see who's related???

I think that the Maronite Catholics might celebrate today as well, and I know that the Eastern Orthodox and Ukranian churches also celebrate today.

We celebrate it in our family as Epiphany and consider it the last of the 12 days of Christmastide. The tree comes down, and any remaining greenery (and a few candles in windows) stay(s) until Feb 2 (which many know as Groundhog Day, but which we recognize as Imbolc (or Saint Brigid's Day). Celtic Catholics we...

All of which is to say:

Happy Christmas to you @scruffy1 -- and to anyone else celebrating today.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hope your Christmas celebrations were filled with peace and joy! Stay safe out there.

Last edited:
I think that the Maronite Catholics might celebrate today as well, and I know that the Eastern Orthodox and Ukranian churches also celebrate today.

We celebrate it in our family as Epiphany and consider it the last of the 12 days of Christmastide. The tree comes down, and any remaining greenery (and a few candles in windows) stay(s) until Feb 2 (which many know as Groundhog Day, but which we recognize as Imbolc (or Saint Brigid's Day). Celtic Catholics we...

All of which is to say:

Thanks for the Christmas greetings, we Jews do walk to SdC - some 200 Israelis every year - but we don't celebrate Christmas.

Thanks for the Christmas greetings, we Jews do walk to SdC - some 200 Israelis every year - but we don't celebrate Christmas.

Ah @scruffy1 — am aware About Jews walking to SdC — there was a lovely young couple from Israel on my first walk. As I recall he said that he was walking because he loves walking and prefers to walk holy roads and she said that she was walking because she loved him. Sweet.
At any rate, I mistook your meaning from the OP to mean that you were among the Christians in Jerusalem. (For context of my misinterpretation: I have not one but 3 sets of families who are friends — with Arab names, and one Christian parent and one who is a Jew.
Mine is an Irish Catholic family, but through marriage I have first cousins who are Jews. When we are fortunate enough to visit with each other, our celebrations can overlap in California sunshine.

Belated Chanukah greetings to you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ordinary Time begins on Monday January 10th. The Baptism of the Lord is the end of the Christmas season. So it's a little more than the twelve days. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

All of which is to say:

Same thing here
my brother celebrates Eastern Orthodox Christmas therefore I get 2 holidays out of it :)
And lots of good food 😋

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.