• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meseta at Easter.

Deepforest

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Camino Frances 2016 Camino Portuguese 2017 del Norte and Primitivo 2017 Via Francegina 2018.
Due to work commitments I've walked from Astorga to Santiago in the summer and Pamplona to Burgos in October last year. I'd love to walk from Burgos to Leon, through the meseta in late March of 2016. That's my next holiday from work. I was told by two pilgrims I met, that the meseta can still be very cold around Easter time. I had thought that spring would be a lovely time to walk it, not too hot or busy. Has anyone any idea what to expect or anyone walked the meseta in late March?

Thanks for the advice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Due to work commitments I've walked from Astorga to Santiago in the summer and Pamplona to Burgos in October last year. I'd love to walk from Burgos to Leon, through the meseta in late March of 2016. That's my next holiday from work. I was told by two pilgrims I met, that the meseta can still be very cold around Easter time. I had thought that spring would be a lovely time to walk it, not too hot or busy. Has anyone any idea what to expect or anyone walked the meseta in late March?

Thanks for the advice.
Hola DF ;)

I haven't been on Meseta in those months but I was cold cold cold in summer months due to strong icy northern wind nevetheless. So, it might be hot or very cold whichever month you choose.
Anyway, I envy you a bit since those flat Spanish plains I'm in love with :rolleyes:

Ultreia!

Late March last year...Cold (sometimes frosty) mornings, and a huge range during the day: Sleet, rain, sometimes very windy, sometimes warm and pleasantly sunny. What I could not have done without--besides the obvious raingear--were warmth for head and hands.
[Edit--the camera was nice to have too, because it was seriously gorgeous:]

Attachments

• IMG_7800.JPG
    IMG_7800.JPG
    346.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks for the advice.
Hi, I think you have to embrace it and let
it happen. The weather can go eather way.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've walked across the Meseta several times at Easter. The coldest days I've worn the following in the morning: quick-drying T-shirt, zippered fleece jacket, zippered rain jacket with hood, wool scarf, fleece hat and gloves, nylon trousers. After a couple of hours on the road, half of the clothes are in my backpack. I've never needed to put on my long underwear/pajamas, which I've always carried as an extra layer, just in case.

It's often been colder in the albergues than on the road. You'll be fine!

Thanks for the advice.

Deepforest:

Dry and warm in 2011, cold and wet in 2012. Everything is blooming or started to bloom.

Ultreya,
Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You might find minimum temperatures below zero ºC and máximum temperatures under 10ºC but you might also find mínimum temperatures above 5ºC and máximum temperatures above 15ºC as well as anything in between and as well as a mix of some cold days and some warm days. I know that's probably not too useful but it's what it's. Temperatures in spring are really unpredictable.

During my camino in 2014 I was in Burgos at Easter, and walking the peseta just after. Most days the weather was clear and beautiful. Early morning occasionally required my light gloves, hat and fleece vest. I thought it was perfect. The previous year had been very, very cold. As others have said, you need to be prepared because it's so variable. After the peseta, I occasionally needed my silk long underwear in the mountains, and was wearing all the clothing I had.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ditto HeidiL and Castilian.

I walked early March 2014. 9 days of gorgeous weather through La Rioja and the Meseta. Warm verging on hot. Even into double figure temperatures some days.

Photo, looking back, shows weather there. Note the huge number of pilgrims missing it all!

But the rest of the time the weather was very much "as your father" (snow, sleet, hail, rain, wind) and the worst of the lot was Santiago de Compostela to Fisterre/Muxia.

Absolutely loved it all!

De Colores

Bogong

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.