• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meseta Burgos to Leon 6th July 2018

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Meseta is my second favourite part of the Camino . Wish you both a wonderfull journey and a Buen Camino ,Peter

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Long live La Meseta, it saved my camino in 2017. Good luck with your planning and execution, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

I've walked the meseta in July. It was OK, as long as you start early in the morning (first light) and stop by noon or 1pm. Also very pleasant walking in the evening, and there is daylight til 10pm. Just avoid the post mid-day heat.

There always seemed to be a cooling breeze in the morning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Plan well, early morning third day out and you may not yet be at your usual pace and rhythm as you come striding out from Castrojeriz you will face a good steep climb, nothing hysteric but yes surprising if not forewarned it does allow you to make sure your cardio-vascular system is in good working order. Further along is my favorite albergue along this section En El Camino in Boadilla just before Fromista. If asked if you would like them to prepare your dinner-the correct answer is YES. Fromista is not much to write home about, the church/museum there has some fine Romanesque capitals and for any other ex-sailors there is a fine statue of Saint Telmo just off Camino. The only real difficulty on this section is deciding between the choices at the fork in the Camino one super boring which leads to El Burgo Ranero + the mudbrick albergue + the frog pond there or that which leads to Hermaillos. Buen Camino!

Thanks scruffy1 (Is there a scruffy2) we were going to take the roman road at the fork is that better ?

Lots of sun screen on the back of your knees and calves !
The Meseta is much maligned and yet it is a beautiful place , I found it to be both fascinating and intriguing.
If it is of any use I found the so called Roman road mentioned by Breirley to be anything but , it is covered with nasty red gravel and is all but totally featureless . Walking this was perhaps the only time I was disappointed during my entire walk . This was an impression that was also shared by those I walked with and many others that walked on that particular stretch . Sometimes Brierley just gets it wrong .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I must agree with Charles Zammit though the alternative walk parallel to the highway does not offer much either. As you walk you will notice some villages with older out-buildings and houses built from mudbrick and straw looks like Tunsia not what I think in Spain. I choose El Burgo Ranero since the Domenico Laffi Albergue is also built from mudbricks and later sitting on a bench by the frog pond for sunset and the evening concert, Cantata for 3,000,000 frogs (Kermit 1965), is special.

The Meseta is my second favourite part of the Camino

Did you know that there are people who read comments like this and spend the rest of the afternoon in a state of suspense? Clearly you have formulated a list, but you only give us the second item. Why man why!?

For the record, it is my favorite part. July is grand too. Godspeed MickMac.

Did you know that there are people who read comments like this and spend the rest of the afternoon in a state of suspense? Clearly you have formulated a list, but you only give us the second item. Why man why!?

For the record, it is my favorite part. July is grand too. Godspeed MickMac.

OK , for the record ,
My favorite are the mountains and not only the Pyrenees .
Wish you well , Peter .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Michael ,
Edging your way there ..and really getting to know each section .
Good luck with your July trip, and as you’ve mentioned in other threads; your general start time is 5.00 to 6.00am , so you should be able to get your daily kilometres done well before the heat of the afternoon.
Buen Camino to you and your brother.
Annie

Hi Michael ,
Edging your way there ..and really getting to know each section .
Good luck with your July trip, and as you’ve mentioned in other threads; your general start time is 5.00 to 6.00am , so you should be able to get your daily kilometres done well before the heat of the afternoon.
Buen Camino to you and your brother.
Annie[/QUOTE

Thanks a annie any albergue recommendations for meseta ?

Michael
2013 seems so long ago! I didn’t take notes - I’d say more current recommendations would include a better choice. We (Rhonda & I ) had to bus a bit of last half as we had to get to Léon /Rhonda had problems with stolen cards necessitating bank face to face.
You may recall I had bad feet at Burgos so started slowly and walked a very short day (13 or 14 ks) to Rabé de Calzados. It was a perfect stop for me. I think maybe only a few more stops before we bussed it to Léon tho . I did love the terrain tho ., we didn’t get rain so no mud to contend with .,
I will one day walk it again ., but in the spring ; for a greener perspective.
Sorry can’t offer much ..
Buen Camino
Annie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good luck with your Burgos to Leon segment. We walked Santo Domingo to Leon in June 2017. Most days, it was HOT and sunny. Bring a sun umbrella, and carry plenty of water. Start early, maybe 6:00AM or earlier, and avoid walking 11AM - 2PM if it is sunny and hot. Buen Camino

Walking the Meseta with brother Tom July 6th from Burgos.
Wonderful. We walked from Burgos in July and loved every minute. If you want peace and quiet try to stop at the "healing waters" of San Bol past Tardajos. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.