• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meseta early March

SarahRTrew

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon --> Santiago Oct 2022
I am planning to walk from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Leon starting early March. (It's the only section of the CF I have not walked.) I have two questions I'm hoping for input on. First, will there be enough pilgrims in this loneliest of sections in early March to feel some community/see other people on the trail? Second, I'm wondering how/if the current situation in Europe and its impact on cost/availability of energy could change lodging on the Camino this spring - perhaps fewer places open and/or fewer with heat? (Hotels and individual rooms in albergues are my preferred type of lodging). Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge/experience!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am planning to walk from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Leon starting early March. (It's the only section of the CF I have not walked.) I have two questions I'm hoping for input on. First, will there be enough pilgrims in this loneliest of sections in early March to feel some community/see other people on the trail? Second, I'm wondering how/if the current situation in Europe and its impact on cost/availability of energy could change lodging on the Camino this spring - perhaps fewer places open and/or fewer with heat? (Hotels and individual rooms in albergues are my preferred type of lodging). Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge/experience!
1. Yes there will - but you’ll get to know them rather well. It’s a great time to walk.

2. Impossible to predict. But there will be sufficient.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
First, will there be enough pilgrims in this loneliest of sections in early March to feel some community/see other people on the trail?
Yes, in my experience. My favorite time to walk. There are other pilgrims but not too many.

Second, I'm wondering how/if the current situation in Europe and its impact on cost/availability of energy could change lodging on the Camino this spring - perhaps fewer places open and/or fewer with heat? (Hotels and individual rooms in albergues are my preferred type of lodging)
I have no idea about this, of course not being there. But if it's cold and there is not so much heating as usual, it's less of an issue than hot weather - just make sure you have enough warm clothes. Beanie and gloves and a decent warm jacket are essential

From another thread, about February, but they definitely apply:
For general advice re walking in winter do scan the thread, Winter Camino Frances. Winter is a wonderful time to walk but you must be prepared.
Bring lots of layers, as even the best hotels don't keep the heat on all night.
be very sure to bring some lip balm and moisture cream for your face and hands. Chapping is a real issue.

Last edited:
1. Yes there will - but you’ll get to know them rather well. It’s a great time to walk.

2. Impossible to predict. But there will be sufficient.
Thank you for the assurance that it will be a great time to walk. :)

Yes, in my experience. My favorite time to walk. There are other pilgrims but not too many.

I have no idea about this, of course not being there. But if it's cold and there is not so much heating as usual, it's less of an issue than hot weather - just make sure you have enough warm clothes. Beanie and gloves and a decent warm jacket are essential

From another thread, about February, but they definitely apply:
Your favorite time to walk? Good to know! Really appreciate your response. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm rolling out the "Meseta Series" of videos on My website here:
It gives you a realistic view of hiking across the meseta.
I did it in September, just two months ago, so It's not
in early March, but we did have a bad wind/rain storm

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
March is my favorite time to do the Camino. Yes, there are plenty of people although coming out of Leon on the alternative path, I was the only pilgrim in my albergues. You’ll find many albergues open, but not always heated. Ask before you check in! Expect variable weather. Anything from snow to warm and sunny. It’s a great time to do it if you aren’t averse to cold, rain, and wind. Personally, I’d take that over heat anyday!

From Alto de Mostelera looking back toward Castrojeriz on March 22, 2022; Intermittent rain, stiff wind, 46F. Shredded my almost useless light poncho, but dried out & happy by Fromista. It was a beautiful, solitary Camino day.

132D9CD5-294D-4E39-B92B-E51D42CAD14A.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have never found walking across the meseta section of the Camino Frances to really be any different than the rest of it. I never see it as being some kind of lonely, desolate path where all hope is lost and the mind plays tricks on you and before you know it you're seeing hallucinations and mirages. You slog on the best you can, hoping for some relief from the madness. :D
Seriously though, it's just rolling hills, agriculture fields and in the spring it's getting green again, though you may experience cold weather...or maybe not. I'm sure you will meet lot's of pilgrims on that section and places to stay. I always have.

I hiked the Meseta in february 2022. There were pilgrims every night andday with albergues open. I didn't have to call ahead to reserve a bed anywhere but there are a few sections where the distance between albergues is a bit longer than the rest of the route. I actually quite liked the Meseta as well, there are great Roman and Midieval ruins and the towns feel much less touristy. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.