• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Private room recommendations between Carrion de los Condes and Leon on the Meseta

Lhollo

Time of past OR future Camino
CF pt2, Belorado to Sarria, May 21 – June 12, 2022
Hello again Camino friends!

Now we’re into 2022, I’ve returned to trying to finalise my camino plans for this May/June.

Because of medical issues, I have to book private rooms in advance.

One section is entirely defying my attempts to book rooms, and I take this as a fateful sign!

I need to organise three nights between Carrion de los Condes and Leon (not including those two places).

My plan was:
  1. Terradillos de Los Templarios
  2. Bercianos del Real Camino
  3. Mancilla de las Mulas
I’m not overly attached to staying in these places, they simply came up in my early searches and the distances between them seem to be reasonable. I’d prefer to avoid 30km+ / 18mile+ days if possible. Im aware of a few options but can’t make the mileage work out and feel a little in the dark in terms of which places I really ought to prioritise for their atmosphere, beauty, really nice private rooms, etc.

Do you have any thoughts or recommendations?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Now we’re into 2022, I’ve returned to trying to finalise my camino plans for this May/June.

One section is entirely defying my attempts to book rooms, and I take this as a fateful sign!

I need to organise three nights between Carrion de los Condes and Leon (not including those two places).

My plan was:
  3. Mancilla de las Mulas
I’m not overly attached to staying in these places, they simply came up in my early searches and the distances between them seem to be reasonable. I’d prefer to avoid 30km+ / 18mile+ days if possible. Im aware of a few options but can’t make the mileage work out and feel a little in the dark in terms of which places I really ought to prioritise for their atmosphere, beauty, really nice private rooms, etc.

I did not stay in this hostal in Bercianos but had a nice dinner there. Fellow pilgrims told me it was decent!

I stayed in a private room at Albergue Santa Clara.

Happy preparations!

It's past Mansilla de las Mulas, but I enjoyed my private room at Albergue San Pelayo. It's a private albergue with dorms and private rooms, and they had a communal dinner which is always nice. They also have a nice garden area to relax in.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Moratinos is a few km past Terradillos, The Peaceable Kingdom run by Reb Scott has private rooms, and just before Terradillos there are places with privte rooms in Ledigos and Calzadilla. I have never stay in Mancilla but it is largest enough to support places with single rooms as well.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Moratinos is a few km past Terradillos, The Peaceable Kingdom run by Reb Scott has private rooms, and just before Terradillos there are places with privte rooms in Ledigos and Calzadilla. I have never stay in Mancilla but it is largest enough to support places with single rooms as well.

Exactly. I stayed in a dorm at albergue la Morena in Ledigos but did have a look at the nice private rooms there.
Great restaurant also.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you so much for these replies!

I’ve booked a room at the albergue la Morena in Ledigos.

I’m still unsure of the rest. It’s hard to get a sense of which villages I’ll want to linger in, and explore more in the laye afternoons. Sahagún attracts me but doesn’t fit well with the overall plan and I can’t find accommodation there that seems nice anyway. I’m also drawn to the Roman route and have contacted an albergue there just to ask if they’re open and have rooms, because there’s no website. I think after that section the rest may seem easier to decide upon! What did those of you who’ve walked the section think of the villages along the way? Any high points?

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I’m still unsure of the rest. It’s hard to get a sense of which villages I’ll want to linger in, and explore more in the evenings. Sahagún attracts me but doesn’t fit well with the overall plan and I can’t find accommodation there that seems nice anyway. I’m also drawn to the Roman route and have contacted an albergue there just to ask if they’re open and have rooms, because there’s no website. I think after that section the rest may seem easier to decide upon! What did those of you who’ve walked the section think of the villages along the way? Any high points?
I enjoyed my walk through the Meseta but not sure I'd spend a second night in any of the towns. too many other towns with more interesting places to visit.

I stayed in La Morena in September 2021 and the private rooms were superb. They even had bottled water in the room!

They did a pilgrim meal in the large interior restaurant, only for pilgrims. (Might be different in winter of course)

Great place, like a miniature oasis on the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In Terradillos de los Templarios, Albergue Los Templarios has very nice private rooms with bath.

I'll second that. The private rooms are quite nice on their own little 'wing'.

Though when I stayed there in 2015, I was alarmed to find that early in the morning, the private room 'wing' door was locked, between it and the main areas. So I couldn't exit that small part of the building.

I was basically locked in!

I ended up departing via my bedroom window :rolleyes:

(P.S. There were fire doors I could have exited via, but they may have been alarmed)

Last edited:
have you looked at the buen Camino app? We stayed in private rooms in alburgues and pensions the entire trip. Booked a lot of them using the app 2 days ahead. In larger towns we use Airbnb and hotel.com on the buen Camino app.
We always had nice rooms for 2 with private bath for 30 to 50 euros mostly around 35 and 40.
Found room on the app at or close to where you were wanting to rest
Chuck
Below was our Camino favorite just beyond Leon

Attachments

• 05C1D66E-AFCD-4DCE-B9E4-AF9A7CE18EAC.jpeg
    05C1D66E-AFCD-4DCE-B9E4-AF9A7CE18EAC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
  • 8616C947-8EA6-4CAA-BDEE-0667782F473B.jpeg
    8616C947-8EA6-4CAA-BDEE-0667782F473B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 44
If your journey takes you through the sweet village of Reliegos the Vive Tu Camino albergue has lovely private rooms, a comforting pilgrim's meal, garden and welcoming family ownership. It's a welcome respite before Leon. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
have you looked at the buen Camino app? We stayed in private rooms in alburgues and pensions the entire trip. Booked a lot of them using the app 2 days ahead. In larger towns we use Airbnb and hotel.com on the buen Camino app.
We always had nice rooms for 2 with private bath for 30 to 50 euros mostly around 35 and 40.
Found room on the app at or close to where you were wanting to rest
Chuck
Below was our Camino favorite just beyond Leon
I’ve already booked in here and am particularly looking forward to it! 😃

I’m still unsure of the rest. It’s hard to get a sense of which villages I’ll want to linger in, and explore more in the laye afternoons. Sahagún attracts me but doesn’t fit well with the overall plan and I can’t find accommodation there that seems nice anyway. I’m also drawn to the Roman route and have contacted an albergue there just to ask if they’re open and have rooms, because there’s no website. I think after that section the rest may seem easier to decide upon! What did those of you who’ve walked the section think of the villages along the way? Any high points?
Hey, If you do end up in Sahagun, there's a Hostel called La Bastide Du Chemin. It's rustic but clean and comfortable, I loved it. The Hostess (Fatima) was wonderful. All separate rooms (no dormitory), with a nice Cafe downstairs. Right across the street from the giant Albergue that used to be a Monastery, which is next to the church of St. John. Good location, great town. I'm probably more enamored of it because it was my finishing point of the Camino Madrid. Be well. Buen Camino!

Attachments

• hostal sahagun.jpg
    hostal sahagun.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 30
  • hostal sahagun II.jpg
    hostal sahagun II.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 25
  • room sahagun.jpg
    room sahagun.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 31
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

My plan was:
  3. Mancilla de las Mulas

I have noticed that the hotels are already booked too. Keep trying on Bookings.com and Hotels. com on a day-by-day basis. The hotels don’t release all of the available rooms at once. Or try contacting the hotels directly. Plus there will be cancelations which will make rooms available too. Just keep checking.

I walked the Roman road several years ago. It is straight, it is flat, it is cobbles and it is boring. I spent the night Calzada de los Hermanillos at Casa El Cuna. The food was good and I think there were private rooms but I slept in one with two other pilgrims. We got up early in the morning and started walking in a thick fog, there were not many markers. The other two walked faster than me and one was a very self-assured Aussie who purported he had done the route before. About 3 hours after starting , the other two were headed back in my direction. We missed a turn and the day added about 3 hours to my daily routine.

When I walked this fall, after Carrion I stayed in Calzadilla (which had private rooms at Camino Real), then Sahagun (private room at Monasterio de Santa Cruz), then El Burgo Ranero (Casa Adobe, private room and great restaurant). I like albergues, but booked privates while I was nursing a cough. Good luck with your planning!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Roman road several years ago. It is straight, it is flat, it is cobbles and it is boring. I spent the night Calzada de los Hermanillos at Casa El Cuna.
I respectfuliy disagree with my pal Don. I walked the Roman Road, too, and totally loved it. It was quiet and well away from the soulless senda. But then we didn't have fog.

And a slight correction: it's Casa El Cura, and I also give it an enthusiastic thumbs up, for lots of reasons - the food being one of them. A lovely family-run place. Two of us shared a very nice private room.

I'd suggest Terradillos-CdH-MdlM.

I respectfuliy disagree with my pal Don. I walked the Roman Road, too, and totally loved it. It was quiet and well away from the soulless senda.

And a slight correctiin: it's Casa El Cura, and I also give it an enthusiastic thumbs up, for lots of reasons - the food being one of them. A lovely family-run place. Two of us shared a very nice private room.

I'd suggest Terradillos-CdH-MdlM.
Perhaps getting lost the next day shaded my view.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

My plan was:
  3. Mancilla de las Mulas

Terradillos - Jaques de Molay
Bercianos - Albergue La Perala
Mansilla - Jardin del Camino

I had fun in each location/albergue but suggestions from other peregrinas/os are valid as well.
Buen Camino.

My plan was:
  3. Mancilla de las Mulas

It seems you garnered some interesting places. My question to you is I’m also in need of a private room for the Frances. Been checking Gronze & Bookings and the prices listed are not what is being charged. They are much higher. Are you finding the same?

It seems you garnered some interesting places. My question to you is I’m also in need of a private room for the Frances. Been checking Gronze & Bookings and the prices listed are not what is being charged. They are much higher. Are you finding the same?
I haven’t found a dramatic difference but one or two places have charged a couple of euros more. Average is still between €45 and €55 for albergue private rooms, but of course more in hotels.

Are there particular villages you’re struggling with?

I now have everything in place except for Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos (La Casa de Cura aren’t replying to emails, their phone is permanently engaged and their website is down. I presume it’s simply because it’s out of season but really hope they haven’t closed permanently. Given my private room need, I’d love to stay there, although I do know there are other options in the village).

Mansilla de las Mulas is also proving awkward in that my answer phone messages and emails are just leading nowhere. I think I’m just too early for one or two places.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Peaceable is a private home. We offer donativo food and shelter to pilgrims, but we don't serve the "nice private rooms" market. Hostal Moratinos takes care of that.

Peaceable is a private home. We offer donativo food and shelter to pilgrims, but we don't serve the "nice private rooms" market. Hostal Moratinos takes care of that.
I understand that you’re clarifying the services you provide. But…I do really struggle with the idea that the way I am doing the Camino is not as a normal pilgrim, because of my health issues. Part of me thinks I should sleep in doorways if necessary and trust I’ll be ok (my family have strong words with me about this when it comes up!). I deeply wish I didn’t have physical barriers, and that I were able simply to do what I would have done as a twenty-something who didn’t have embarrassing and specific health issues. Even now, I wonder whether maybe, bit by bit, I can get back to a much more basic way of travelling. I would love to do a thru hike with only a backpack and tent, for example! And it doesn’t seem impossible given that I walk really fast… until I dislocate, or get muscle spasms. Anyway… I really cringe at the idea that I am a “nice private rooms market”. I don’t want to be that, and certainly don’t want to promote it. I just want to walk, and find some way to be free to the extent that life takes on that different rhythm we probably all experience on the Camino: we become more organic. My partner and I do have further concerns though, because during Covid, we have to protect someone we live with very carefully; I don’t usually mention this because we handle it privately, but we have promised not to share rooms if we travel, and always to wear good masks. I write about this stuff, though—that is my line of work—and understanding it is an ongoing process for me.

I’ve added this comment not to be argumentative at all, but because maybe other people will see the title and think I am strongly in favour of this ‘nice private rooms market’. Ugh. Actually, yesterday I spent a wonderful hour reading this thread about Phil’s month in 2021 as a hospitalero in Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos. What a fantastic place! And I felt sad for him each time all the pilgrims went past his donativo, having all booked in the way that I am doing. I feel I’m missing out on so much, doing the Camino as I am. And I’m actively wondering at the moment how best I can counteract this.

Not to be hypocritical, I’ll add that I think a nice private room is sometimes just a really lovely thing. I can’t say I don’t enjoy a luxury night here and there, and my partner certainly does (he’s actually more on board with the ‘nice private rooms’ than I am! His view: “I’m beyond the age when a night in a tent sounded good”).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
. Actually, yesterday I spent a wonderful hour reading this thread about Phil’s month in 2021 as a hospitalero in Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos. What a fantastic place! And I felt sad for him each time all the pilgrims went past his donativo,
It really is a great little albergue. I stayed there in 2019 when a friend from home was serving as hospitalera there.

Hey, If you do end up in Sahagun, there's a Hostel called La Bastide Du Chemin. It's rustic but clean and comfortable, I loved it. The Hostess (Fatima) was wonderful. All separate rooms (no dormitory), with a nice Cafe downstairs. Right across the street from the giant Albergue that used to be a Monastery, which is next to the church of St. John. Good location, great town. I'm probably more enamored of it because it was my finishing point of the Camino Madrid. Be well. Buen Camino!
La Bastide Du Chemin closed their doors for good about 3 weeks ago. I received an email from Fatima herself telling me so. I had a booking there for Semana Santa and had to find an alternative.

I haven’t found a dramatic difference but one or two places have charged a couple of euros more. Average is still between €45 and €55 for albergue private rooms, but of course more in hotels.

Are there particular villages you’re struggling with?

I now have everything in place except for Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos (La Casa de Cura aren’t replying to emails, their phone is permanently engaged and their website is down. I presume it’s simply because it’s out of season but really hope they haven’t closed permanently. Given my private room need, I’d love to stay there, although I do know there are other options in the village).

Mansilla de las Mulas is also proving awkward in that my answer phone messages and emails are just leading nowhere. I think I’m just too early for one or two places.
I’m having difficulty at the beginning of all places. Roncevalles & Zubiri. I figured if I can at least book the first two, then I can reserve as I go. I’m using Gronze & Ivar’s guide book from 2020. I just may not be as tech savvy as I need. I did find one in Espinal near Roncesvalles. It’s listed at $60 on Gronze but bookings at $74. I’ll just keep jabbing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stayed at Albergue Jacques de Molay in a dorm, but it appears that they also have private rooms.

Unfortunately and for unknown reasons, the Albergue Jacques de Molay has gradually downgraded their private rooms over the years, they actually are reluctant to sell them these days and one has to push hard to make a reservation. The beds have only a mattress, no sheets and one has to bring along a sleeping bag or liner. The room doors have no locks. A shame, because the place with its garden is very nice and they serve decent food.

I’m having difficulty at the beginning of all places. Roncevalles & Zubiri. I figured if I can at least book the first two, then I can reserve as I go. I’m using Gronze & Ivar’s guide book from 2020. I just may not be as tech savvy as I need. I did find one in Espinal near Roncesvalles. It’s listed at $60 on Gronze but bookings at $74. I’ll just keep jabbing.
I can’t speak for other options but I stayed at La Casa Sabina in Roncesvalles (I originally booked at La Posada, then rebooked and rebooked again during early Covid; they own La Casa Sabina and had to shift me to there, but it is beautiful, and the meals there are super too). In Zubiri, we stayed at El Palo de Avellano, which I’d also highly recommend. The costs of rooms were reasonable for both of these. Espinal might feel like a mile too far after the walk from SJPDP (presuming you’re not stopping at Orisson). I booked many stays via Booking.com but did use the Albergue’s websites for both of the above. I don’t think they’re on Booking.com, but they’re lovely people and reply relatively quickly.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can’t speak for other options but I stayed at La Casa Sabina in Roncesvalles (I originally booked at La Posada, then rebooked and rebooked again during early Covid; they own La Casa Sabina and had to shift me to there, but it is beautiful, and the meals there are super too). In Zubiri, we stayed at El Palo de Avellano, which I’d also highly recommend. The costs of rooms were reasonable for both of these. Espinal might feel like a mile too far after the walk from SJPDP (presuming you’re not stopping at Orisson). I booked many stays via Booking.com but did use the Albergue’s websites for both of the above. I don’t think they’re on Booking.com, but they’re lovely people and reply relatively quickly.
@pepi Just to say that I’ve added links in the above post. Also that I think the Roncesvalles places were on Booking.com but showed no availability. When I emailed or called, it turned out that they did have availability but weren’t yet throwing it open on Booking.com.

Does anyone know whether La Casa de Cura in Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos is still open, or at least, will be open later in the year? Their phone is permanently engaged, website is down, no response to emails. I’m hoping it’s all just normal and simply too early, or maybe they’ve moved out during the colder months.

Does anyone know whether La Casa de Cura in Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos is still open, or at least, will be open later in the year? Their phone is permanently engaged, website is down, no response to emails. I’m hoping it’s all just normal and simply too early, or maybe they’ve moved out during the colder months.
Sorry, I don't know. Have you tried Albergue/Hostal Via Trajana?

I noticed that La Casa de Cura is on booking.com, but that they aren't taking reservations now.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry, I don't know. Have you tried Albergue/Hostal Via Trajana?

I noticed that La Casa de Cura is on booking.com, but that they aren't taking reservations now.
Yes, a lot seem to be on Booking.com but without availability (yet). I do have Hostal Via Trajana as an option but given the emails I’ve sent to La Casa de Cura, think I should wait a little. Maybe by March, they’ll be up and running. I just hope they haven’t permanently closed, and wondered if there was news about them. The engaged phone line and blank website is concerning.

La Casa Sabina was my first choice, but not available for my dates nor others in Roncesvalles. I’ll ck El Palo. Thanks for the info!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thread is long and I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it, but I was having lovely memories yesterday about the Albergue San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo. The owner, Arturo, has outfitted the atrium area with heaps of art supplies, and pilgrims can draw/paint etc during their stay. Lovely kitchen, very kind host. I sent money to them during the worst of 20/21…. Absolutely hope to stay there again some day.

Thread is long and I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it, but I was having lovely memories yesterday about the Albergue San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo. The owner, Arturo, has outfitted the atrium area with heaps of art supplies, and pilgrims can draw/paint etc during their stay. Lovely kitchen, very kind host. I sent money to them during the worst of 20/21…. Absolutely hope to stay there again some day.
We stayed there September 2021. Great place, art on the walls and in the dorms.

Oh yes, we had a four person room to ourselves too.

At least for the first few days after traveling before I plunge into the snoring orchestra.
@rolo, my advice: (I used strictly private rooms last year, no snoring nor farting orchestra)

Night #1 SJPdP, Villa Esponda

Night #2 Burguete, the extra 3 km is an easy walk in the park. If you're not confident to do the distance, take the Express Bourricot shuttle in SJPdP (deptr. next to tourist office at 08h30) to Orisson and start from there. Hostal Burguete (Hemmingway stayed there, wine included in the menu! (Booking.com possible but I recommend direct), or Hotel Loizu.

Night #3 Zubiri, Pensión Zubiaren Etxea (very nice!)

Night #4 Pamplona, Hotel Yoldi

Night #5 Puente la Reina, Albergue Santiago Apostol (has pool!), it's an albergue, ask for a room.

This covers your first days, PM me if you need further

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back