• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meseta in March/April

MelissaKay

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June-July 2017
SJPP-Fromista 2019
Has anyone ever walked the Meseta in March/April? I was thinking of going back the last week of March/first week of April during the kids' Spring Break but didn't know if the weather would be too risky. I know that with the elevations during the first and last part of the CF that it can be snowy, but didn't know if that'd be a risk through the Meseta as well. Any advice and/or experience? TIA! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Has anyone ever walked the Meseta in March/April? I was thinking of going back the last week of March/first week of April during the kids' Spring Break but didn't know if the weather would be too risky. I know that with the elevations during the first and last part of the CF that it can be snowy, but didn't know if that'd be a risk through the Meseta as well. Any advice and/or experience? TIA! :)
My most recent schlep across the Meseta at that time of year was a classic of “follow the pilgrim in front”. Lots of pilgrims and an assortment of weather. My umbrella came in handy. On a previous, started All Fools Day from StJdP (well, you would if you could 😉) and roasted nicely during the day. Froze at night as temperatures plummeted. Go prepared for 4 seasons and hope for Spring 😀

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Totally agree with Tincatinker and Jeffery. I house sat for Reb and Paddy in Moratinos several years ago for the month of March.
It is crisp in the morning and stone cold at night. There was some rain and a few snow flurries, but all in all the day time temperatures are perfect for walking. The pilgrims I saw were few and far between with the exception many hearty groups of Koreans. That time of year the 2 albergues and the lone restaurant in Moratinos are closed for the season, that is one thing you may want to consider in planning your stages.

In 2018 it was fantastic. We were there in Late March. Not a lot of rain, good chilly mornings with enough sun in the afternoon to let laundry dry outside.

I enjoy cooler weather for trekking so it was perfect for me!

Ultreia!

M

Totally agree with Tincatinker and Jeffery. I house sat for Reb and Paddy in Moratinos several years ago for the month of March.
It is crisp in the morning and stone cold at night. There was some rain and a few snow flurries, but all in all the day time temperatures are perfect for walking. The pilgrims I saw were few and far between with the exception many hearty groups of Koreans. That time of year the 2 albergues and the lone restaurant in Moratinos are closed for the season, that is one thing you may want to consider in planning your stages.

I was there that week! Some horrid hail too. But fun!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the meseat in March a couple of years ago and it was fine. Problem is that you can never predict the weather.

In late April this year (24th - 25th) there was snow, rain and hail between Burgos and Hontana. Then it brightened up and the days became warm and sunny. This part of Spain is 3000+ feet above sea level, so be prepared for chilly nights and early mornings, followed by a 20 degree (Celsius) increase in temperature in 3 hours - layering is the key!
Seriously, as many previous posters have said, the weather is unpredictable. Personally, I wouldn't go in March but, if you don't mind a bit of cold and rain, go ahead.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have hiked the Meseta then. Sometimes there is no rain and sometimes the rain does not stop. You just have to take whatever comes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We walked the Meseta in march and April and that year was extremely wet lot's of rain and mud which made it hard walking. The weather is not the same every year. You have to take your chances. I will do it again at that time of year because I like cooler weather and the beds are plentiful.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.