• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meseta in October?

Steven Light

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (May - July 2018)
Meseta (October 2019)
2023?
Greetings! My wife and I walked the CF from SJPdP to Finesterre last summer except we rented bikes from Burgos to Leon. Now we want to go back and walk that part. What's the weather like in October on the Meseta? Alternatively, how hot might it get in August?
We're thinking of walking the Norte in the summer of 2020 but can't go that long without being on some part of a Camino!
Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the meseta in October of 2015 and 2016. I remember the weather being clear and fresh, with very little rain. But maybe that was where I was, as much or more than where the weather was. And I prefer cool weather for walking. Buen camino to you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The Meseta is always beautiful. It can be cold or hot, wet or dry, windy or still. It is always largely solitary and allows for a good amount of contemplation, prayer and meditation.

While the terrain is flat to gently rolling, and there is not a lot out there, many folks including me, find it entrancing. There is a lot of commercial agriculture and the crops vary from month to month.

In October, the harvest should be over, so the fields will likely be brown and dormant, getting ready for winter. That, to me, looks like the setting for an impressionist painting. Others have addressed the weather so I will not.

In the winter, expect to see brown mud, snow covered fields, or possibly some grass crop grown as winter cover.

In the spring, there is an explosion of color as flowers and crops sprout from the earth. This is my favorite time to walk as I enjoy the colorful flowers, growing green fields, new animals, and the weather in general. Spring is a time for new birth, and it reaffirms my reasons for doing a Camino.

During the summer months, June to September, the Meseta can be VERY hot and dry. This happens to be the most popular time of the year. This is not because the Meseta necessarily has a lot to offer, but because that is the time of year when most pilgrims can take the time to walk a Camino, including the Meseta.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Early October 2017 was dry. Cool mornings. Warm afternoons but not too hot. Scenery was great in the morning with the light hitting the hills. Harvest was mostly over so the fields were stubble. We had no rain the entire time, but I was told that was unusual. My guess is weather could be almost anything. But I would not have missed it. Meseta was one of my favorite parts of the camino. I dont understand why some skip it. If pressed for time I recommend doing a couple of days.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We walked in October it was hot

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.