• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meseta sandals?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey Father J
I most likely will bring a pair of sandals... I actually just got one in BJ's Wholesale Club (price is more than right) but I still need to think on them....probably will post a photo to get some opinions...just could not pass up the deal
My thing is (and I might've mentioned it in some of my other posts) is that I am a die-hard "high boot" type of a guy - for better or worse that's what i was taught many years ago when I started hiking and that's what will come with (and I DO like the full ankle & shin protection... I am somewhat prone to twist something if its not firmly encased in that boot)

These however are just a bit funny to me - they look a little 'flimsy'...but what do i know

Agree on the too thin soles, especially if you're used to heavy boots. But they do look interesting! A bit like medieval sandals, just not made of leather. That fabric looks like it will not feel good unless you wear socks in them. Some proper trekking/hiking sandals would probably be a better idea.

Footwear is a difficult topic, though. You need to find out what works for you.

For me sandals work best. I walked almost all the way from LePuy to Finisterre in lightweight tevas. I walk in them in all kinds of terrain and weather, but that doesn't work for everyone.

If you never hiked in sandals, the meseta is a good place to try. Also, building up muscle in the ankles helps.

Happy Camino planning!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Teva Terra Fi 4's have always been great for me, both at home and away.

BTW, can you even begin to imagine just how hot chainmail shoes would be with the Meseta Sun beating down on them?!

I have used K~eens on as much as 75% of the Classic Frances and no blisters they are fine for me, but try them out and let us all know how they work out. After all there is always Compeed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found that the biggest issue I had wearing sandals on the Meseta was the dust the permeated my socks and rubbed a hole in my heel. I found that if I changed my socks several times a day, I was fine. No blisters. Looking at those sandals, all I see is multiple places that will wear holes in your feet.

No gimmicks when you are walking on the Camino. It is a huge mistake. Simple, support and comfortable. I am no shoe expert but after 4 Caminos those look like a nightmare to wear except maybe to the shower.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I saw 7 or 8 people wearing something similar last Saturday in London. They were also wearing full chain mail, red cloaks and white tabards with a red cross on them. The English are weird but Tomas at Manjarin would approve!

Last edited:
I think if I were to something similar it would Vibram 5 Fingers.
I walk in vibram 5 fingers for about 7 years now but I would not use the one on this photo. Try to find a trail model, at least with trail soles. The footing on the frances is sharp gravel, mud and rocks and asphalt and the trail models soles are the best for that combination. A huge BUT... to get used to five fingers cost quite some time for most people. I prefer walking barefoot most of my life and I love the 5F right from the start. If you’re not used to that - take enough time!
Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think if I were to something similar it would Vibram 5 Fingers.
There is a newer model in barefoot shoes, wider toe box, neoprene around the ankle prevent pebbles from getting in. No breaking in and they give you a year to return if you don't like. I've walked 300km and still in love with them. My sole to the soul of Mother Earth. Oh, water resistant and tread 5 times penetration resistant. Of course bring light weight sandles too!

Below is pretty much all you'll see if you take the Roman road between Calzadilla de Los Hermanos and Reliegos. At first it seemed like a marvel of ancient engineering, but after 17km of the same road (and more or less the same view) I was glad to have nice trail runners. Even better soles would have been even better. I had a memorably delicious and cold Kas de Naranja when I got to Reliegos. :)

9e06910b-653e-4496-8c2b-5956bc369c2f.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Saw this on Pinterest. Kind of wondering if these would work on Meseta? ;) 😇
View attachment 58178
View attachment 58179

I think those may be hard on your feet after wearing regular boots, or trail runners, the meseta gets hot and rocky! I used TEVAs, they were great and supported my feet well throughout many miles giving my feet a break from the hiking boots!
Buen Camino!

There is a newer model in barefoot shoes, wider toe box, neoprene around the ankle prevent pebbles from getting in. No breaking in and they give you a year to return if you don't like. I've walked 300km and still in love with them. My sole to the soul of Mother Earth. Oh, water resistant and tread 5 times penetration resistant. Of course bring light weight sandles too!
As far as pebbles are concerned I like "Dirty Girl" gaiters designed got keeping objects out of your shoes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I alluded in my previous post I got these for mere $20.00 (I figured even if not "Camino" they probably will serve me well just on summer walks)

I probably would still have to get some good gel insoles and replace the elastics with proper "shoe lace"; what leaves me still thinking about it is the strap back (one one hand easy to get into and out of, on the other - no support for the heel and back at all) and the overall openness - pebbles getting into?

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.