A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Meseta vs Karoo...

Camino(s) past & future
C. del Norte '17
C. de Fisterra '17
Berlin-Sant.-Muxia (from 2018)
Via Regia | Berlin-Leipzig '18
Hi guys,

Not sure if anyone will be able to help me with this but I thought I'd ask here rather than annoying the general population ;)

I'm hoping to be back on the Camino in April for 3 weeks (fingers crossed) and although I am a true CdN lover, a German friend of mine has been telling me for ages that I "must walk the Meseta". She's lived near the Black Forest all her life however, and all her descriptions make the Meseta sound like a slightly greener Groot Karoo.... I'm not that keen to walk it if I have to choose between the Karoo 2.0 (or is it the original recipe..?) and seeing the ocean at the end, so either I'll be starting in Burgos and walking to SdC from there, or starting in Leon and ending in Muxia/Finisterra.

Can anyone comment on the similarity between the two, or provide reasons with a different perspective on why the Meseta is worth doing?

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, Soulac, Norte, Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo
Hi, you either love or hate the meseta. But you can’t really compare it with the Karoo. Yes, they are both highveld, with extreme temperatures, sublime sunrises and sunsets, and endless horizons. Whether it’s greener than the Groot Karoo or not depends on which time of the year you’re walking, but April on the meseta should be greenish. The meseta has villages and towns every 15kms or so, with albergues, bars and restaurants; you won’t find that crossing the Karoo. If I had to choose between Burgos to Santiago, or León to Finisterre, I think I would choose Burgos to Santiago.
Jill
P.S. I love the meseta.

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Frances (x4), Finisterre, Aragon, Via de la Plata, Portuguese 2011 -2015. Hospitalero 2015
I am Australian and love the Maseta and all my Australian friends who have walked the Maseta also love it.
But I have met many Europeans who find it boring. My theory is that Australians love it because it is a country with long horizons and big skies and engenders a mental freedom, rather like outback Australia. This is not to say we do also not love the many villages and small distances such as in Galacia and the country between France and Burgos, it is just different. That's only my theory anyway. I have not seen the Karoo but imagine it is like the Maseta.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017
Planning Norte/Primitivo May-June 2019
Comparing the Meseta with the Karoo is not really accurate. Jill has explained it well. Burgos to SdC in April should be great. The weather of course is not predictable.

Camino(s) past & future
Meseta should not be missed or rushed through. I was back there last November. A heel blister forced me to slow up and it was the best injury I've ever had. Take it slow through the first part at least. Try not to miss the Green Tree cafe/restaurant in Hornillos. Aim for San Anton if it is open. Second half is less dramatic, but if you want to experience in one day what the Via de la Plata is like, take the Calzada Romana option after Sahagun.

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago (a combination of own way, voie de Tours and Camino Frances)
I am Australian and love the Maseta and all my Australian friends who have walked the Maseta also love it. But I have met many Europeans who find it boring. My theory is that Australians love it because it is a country with long horizons and big skies and engenders a mental freedom, rather like outback Australia.
Interesting to read this. I do think that the way people view this part of the CF, from Burgos to Astorga, depends on where they come from and where else they've been in their lives. I neither hate nor love it, I see it as part of the varied landscapes of Northern Spain. A managed cultural and agricultural landscape. Large-scale fields. Some less fertile parts. Wide views but not at all amazingly flat, rather slightly undulated with hilly bits at the horizon, a few rockier and more arid parts. Some parts actually don't look foreign at all to me.

I don't know Spain as a whole too well and wonder whether this part is actually typical for "the" meseta or mesetas of Spain. I travelled by train or bus between the CF and Madrid a few times and crossed landscapes that looked a lot more desolate to me and perhaps more boring to some. I personally don't find landscapes boring and that includes the Sahara - the really flat bits of it - and the sea.

@nickymd1, I can imagine that someone like your friend who takes the Black Forest as a benchmark is fascinated by the Meseta section of the CF. I myself have still vivid images of The Beauce to the south of Paris. It is a pretty flat region with wide views. I had known nothing at all about it beforehand. I still rave about it occasionally but I have yet to meet someone who shares my amazement. In particular French people don't understand what I'm going on about. 🙂

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Finisterre, Muxia 2018 (July 6- Aug 2) ✅
Camino Frances once more or Norte 2019
It was interesting how my perspective and feelings changed about the Meseta. Prior to embarking on the CF I always planed I would ship my bag ahead and run the Meseta (I was getting ready for the Honolulu Marathon) since the majority of individuals commented negatively about their experience on it; however, circumstances out of my control forced me to change my plans walk through it instead...it was one of the most valuable experiences I've ever had.

From my experience, the people who occupy the towns in the Meseta were wonderful and some of the warmest and most welcoming throughout the CF.

If you are an early hiker, I found the sunrise on the landscape awe inspiring, filled with momentary silence, in between the occasional rustling of the wind amongst the wild flowers. If you enjoy vast horizons, and find beauty in desert landscapes, you may find value within the Meseta.

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times
The type of landscape that comprises the meseta portion of the Camino Frances is not unique to Spain. There are other similar places in other countries. It is not boring, nor is it exciting. It is simply just another part of the walk. It is best described as a mix of flat terrain and rolling hills. Agriculture fields of wheat, sunflowers and such. In the fall most of it has been cut and harvested. Not desert like at all. Some scattered woodlands here and there. I never considered the prospect of not walking it as I can not understand why someone would not. Odd that the question is posed so much on this forum.
In a nutshell, go ahead and walk it and ignore the tall tales about it.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
C. del Norte '17
C. de Fisterra '17
Berlin-Sant.-Muxia (from 2018)
Via Regia | Berlin-Leipzig '18
Hey all, thanks so much for the interesting and varied responses! They're so appreciated.

My leave request has been approved and I will indeed be walking from Burgos (after meeting up with a friend who is long-term staff at an Albergue just outside of Pamplona). I figure if worst comes to worst, I can always adapt my plans to travel forward (not my first camino or first compostella, so willing to bend the 'rules' this time ;) ), but I can't bare the thought of travelling backwards...

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 126 15.4%
  • May

Votes: 199 24.3%