Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Mesh Shower Shoes - Where to get them - What to ask for?

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Hi Everyone.

With 6 sleeps to go, I just realised I forgot to buy one item.

Some very light shoes/sandals to wear in the shower.

I can always wear my Teva Sandals, but I'd rather not use these as they are my 'evening shoes' to give my feet a break from my boots, and the straps take a while to dry out.

I remember reading here ages ago, that people often use Hospital style shoes/sandals. I think they were a mesh with a light weight sole. Weighed almost nothing......

I'm having trouble finding these locally. And I've left it a bit late to order online.

What would I even ask for?

All I have found so far are these. I guess they'll do the job. More of a sock really.

https://www.ilcnsw.asn.au/items/8332

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.

cher99840

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2013, 2017 Camino Frances SJPP-Santiago
2015 St. Olav's Way Oslo-Trondheim
2017 VdlP Seville-Merida
I ordered mine from Walter Drake and I don't know if you can even get them in Oz. They were called "hospital shoes". Yours are pricey but they look like they will do the job.

A

Anemone del Camino

If you only want them for the shower: dollar store flip flops will do the job.

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
I ordered mine from Walter Drake and I don't know if you can even get them in Oz. They were called "hospital shoes". Yours are pricey but they look like they will do the job.

Thanks. 'Hospital Shoes' here brings up things like Crocs and other shoes for medical staff to wear, rather than patients...

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

cher99840

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2013, 2017 Camino Frances SJPP-Santiago
2015 St. Olav's Way Oslo-Trondheim
2017 VdlP Seville-Merida
Hey Cher

Those shower shoes look really good. Would one pair last a whole Camino or do you need a spare at all?

:)
One pair lasted. I liked them because they were much lighter than flip flops and more flexible, thus fit into my pack without being hard and lumpy.

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September/October (2014)
I live in the UK and took Shower slippers from Damart £10. They were great, almost weightless, dried overnight, non slip, and made me feel better about the communal showers with blistered feet. I don't know how to creat a link to them, sorry. The only downside is that now Damart keep bombarding me with catalogues!

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

wawpdx

Do not make yourself crazy with this last minute worry. Do what you can do.
If you decide to buy flip flops, shop around. The ones I decided to leave at home were very light. The pairs I could find in France, when I regretted that decision, were three times as heavy.

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Roncesvalles to Sahagun Oct 2016
Sahagun to SDC April 2017 Burgos to SDC April 2018
Hi Everyone.

With 6 sleeps to go, I just realised I forgot to buy one item.

Some very light shoes/sandals to wear in the shower.

I can always wear my Teva Sandals, but I'd rather not use these as they are my 'evening shoes' to give my feet a break from my boots, and the straps take a while to dry out.

I remember reading here ages ago, that people often use Hospital style shoes/sandals. I think they were a mesh with a light weight sole. Weighed almost nothing......

I'm having trouble finding these locally. And I've left it a bit late to order online.

What would I even ask for?

All I have found so far are these. I guess they'll do the job. More of a sock really.

https://www.ilcnsw.asn.au/items/8332

I have travelled with these for years....light (fold flat), grippy soles lots of ventilation and dry quicky

http://www.packinglight.net/idas-ultra-soles/paaaiaopeiighcnc/product

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Do not make yourself crazy with this last minute worry. Do what you can do.
If you decide to buy flip flops, shop around. The ones I decided to leave at home were very light. The pairs I could find in France, when I regretted that decision, were three times as heavy.

I'll wear my Teva's if I can't find anything ;)

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

jeffnd

Past OR future Camino
March/April 2014
No they won't. At least shouldn't be. I suppose the real question is: do you need them at all?

With people cutting bars of soap in half, sawing handles off toothbrushes, snipping the excess straps from backpacks, and all the other half-crazy things done in the name of saving weight, I am amazed that some people feel the need to bring a pair of shoes just for use in the shower.

NicoZ

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino

If you want sandals for the shower look for "beach" sandals/shoes. They're intended to get wet.

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September/October (2014)
With people cutting bars of soap in half, sawing handles off toothbrushes, snipping the excess straps from backpacks, and all the other half-crazy things done in the name of saving weight, I am amazed that some people feel the need to bring a pair of shoes just for use in the shower.

I think it must depend on what shoes you bring. I have v v pronated feet, weak ankles etc, so Crocs and Tevas just don't do it for me as a second pair. Ended up taking v lightweight leather Meindl mid boots and a pair of Brooks Adrenaline. These worked out great for me with the addition of the shower shoes. If I had taken Crocs, I wouldn't have needed them

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)

Maybe I'll just wear my boots in the shower :)

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Roncesvalles to Sahagun Oct 2016
Sahagun to SDC April 2017 Burgos to SDC April 2018

I have never been one to go to extravagant lengths concerning weight. However, I have picked enough athlete's foot, plantar warts etc. from public showers over the years, that a couple of ounces to alleviate this doesn't seem onerous

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
I have never been one to go to extravagant lengths concerning weight. However, I have picked enough athlete's foot, plantar warts etc. from public showers over the years, that a couple of ounces to alleviate this doesn't seem onerous

Me too. Not fun :eek:

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings