• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mesh trail shoes and waterproof socks.

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
A friend is thinking of using these on a forthcoming Camino. Has anyone experience of using them?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I completed the Camino Frances from SJPdP to Muxia wearing Teva sport sandals and two pairs of synthetic socks...the trick to good foot care is to keep your feet dry...my guess is that waterproof socks will have your feet peeling skin within days...also I started my Camino wearing a waterproof shirt without venting...three days later I realized that the waterproof shirt was slowly baking me...so I tossed my waterproof shirt in the trash and switched to a synthetic shirt.

Attachments

• Teva Sport Sandals.jpg
    Teva Sport Sandals.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 37
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can't see if there is a picture attached to the original post, but I just walked from Leon to Santiago in March. Most days were rain, sleet, or snow. I wore Dexshell waterproof and breathable socks with non-waterproof Saucony trail runners. The socks were outstanding. Kept me warm and dry (even when I walked in puddles). No blisters at all. They definitely "walk warm", so I would take off the socks when the rain let up (not often in March!).

I wore mesh trail runners with liner toe socks (Injinji) and wool socks (darn tough). My feet never felt wet, even on really rainy days.

On mountain hikes at home, I've done stream crossings in this shoe/sock combination and never felt wet.

I would think that the waterproof socks would make feet perspire too much.

I use waterproof socks with my mesh trail runners only in the snow. Otherwise I use Darn Tough smart wool socks. I found I don't need sock liners with them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What month(s) is he going to walk the Camino? If he is going to walk it between June-September I would say do not bring waterproof socks. More warm/hot dry days than wet and cold days on the Camino and highly unlikely you will experience snowfall.
April and May? Sure, why not. Have them in the pack to wear if it snows/sleets. On days it doesn't wear wool or synthetic tech socks.

I wore mesh trail runners with liner toe socks (Injinji) and wool socks (darn tough). My feet never felt wet, even on really rainy days.

On mountain hikes at home, I've done stream crossings in this shoe/sock combination and never felt wet.

I would think that the waterproof socks would make feet perspire too much.

What brand shoe did you use? I'm looking at some mostly mesh Solomon's.

What brand shoe did you use? I'm looking at some mostly mesh Solomon's.
Go with what feels great on your feet. The mesh materials are very similar in trail runners, though some incorporate a goretex laminate -- usually labeled with a "GTX" moniker. I always avoid the goretex in my shoes as they give me sweaty feet when its dry, and they still get wet inside when it rains -- just not as quickly. For me, I find that goretex really slows down the drying out process.

If my shoes are wet when I'm finished for the day, I pull out the insole, use paper towels (or toilet paper) to soak up excess moisture, put in my extra dry pair of insoles, change into my dry pair of wool socks, put the shoes back on and wear them around until bedtime. It is amazing how quickly they dry out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Go with what feels great on your feet. The mesh materials are very similar in trail runners, though some incorporate a goretex laminate -- usually labeled with a "GTX" moniker. I always avoid the goretex in my shoes as they give me sweaty feet when its dry, and they still get wet inside when it rains -- just not as quickly. For me, I find that goretex really slows down the drying out process.

If my shoes are wet when I'm finished for the day, I pull out the insole, use paper towels (or toilet paper) to soak up excess moisture, put in my extra dry pair of insoles, change into my dry pair of wool socks, put the shoes back on and wear them around until bedtime. It is amazing how quickly they dry out.
Thanks for the tip davebugg. I shall add spare innersoles to my list to purchase!
Buen Camino

I took a pair of the sealskinz brand of waterproof socks on my first camino (Nov/Dec) and subsequent ones finishing in November. The full waterproofness didn't actually last for long but they were still an excellent item, especially for Galicia and for lesser-trod caminos where drying facilities are scarce. Galician weather in November can really test your mental strength, especially when you can hear the rain on the albergue roof pelting down (again) at 6 in the morning and you just know it's not going to let up. Putting my dry waterproof socked feet into the cold still-damp boots and knowing they'd stay dry for a few hours managed to edge my morale up a notch or two.
If I was walking the camino in mesh fronted trail shoes or lightweight trainers (as lots of people do) I'd say that taking one pair of short waterproof socks along with two pairs of standard ones is the optimal choice. But they are a bit pricey and the closer you are to mid-summer, the less useful they are.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
We'll be starting from Porto in mid April and I think we'll encounter rain at some stage. One of our group has been told mesh trail shoes make for easy walking and I thought she'd enjoy both comfort and dry feet if she wore the waterproof socks with them.

Last May from Porto-Santiago it rained steady on us for three straight days, from morning until about 3pm. I wore mesh Salomon trail shoes with the quick lace system. Great shoes as I didn't find boots were necessary.

Of course shoes were soaked (and socks) when we stopped each day, but I took out the liners, stuffed newspaper in the shoes overnight, and by morning they were dry. Alternated socks in similar manner.

I swear by Salomon shoes. Only brand of “ttrainers” I’ve worn in the last ten years

Bom Caminho!

I have used waterproof socks on other trails, they can be handy for early morning use in wet, dewy grass but they are warm and thick so you might need a slightly wider shoe. I decided they are not worth the bother. I have heard of being used with Teva sandals.

A friend is thinking of using these on a forthcoming Camino. Has anyone experience of using them?
I took non waterproof trail running shoes. I took waterproof socks in case I encountered heavy rain (I only had one day of light rain). I used Wrightsocks and had no blisters. Waterproof socks are going to be hotter and more blister prone than normal socks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.