• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

meson del barro

keilnirby

I was planning on reserving a room in this hostel for July 16 when I will now be arriving in Pamplona; however, when I received an email from them I was given a quote and asked to send my credit card information via email. They would then charge me in full -- a month before I arrive.

Is this normal? In the U.S. there may be a small fine for cancellations, but I've never heard of this.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you want the room you should be prepared to pay in advance - a small cancellation charge is only appropriate when the hostel would have no trouble in re-letting the space should you not show up

Good point...however I'm still a little reluctant to give out my credit card via email. Maybe I'm being overly cautious.

Has anyone stayed at the Meson Del Barro recently?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is quite normal to pay either the whole fee or some percentage of booking fee when you book a hostel online. But it isn't normal to have to put it in an e-mail. Many hostels have secure online booking facilities. I wouldn't put it in an e-mail either.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
While I've never stayed in this hostel, all hotels and hostels I've booked in Europe have asked for a credit card number up-front. But this is for security only, no payment is deducted until you check-out of the hotel.

If you don't show up, and haven't cancelled the room, then you will be charged the full fee.

Email the hostel and ask if they will be charging for the room at the time of booking.

Yes, the full fee as soon as they get the number. I thought about faxing, but I learned that my fax at work has a lock for international numbers. I emailed them and asked if I could just send a check, but was again asked if I could fax it instead.

Something tells me the place is probably legit, but for 12 euros more I might reserve another place I have in mind that uses online booking. Hate to give the money to the bigger establishment, but at least I'll have the peace of mind. It is my first stop, after all.

I'll be arriving in Pamplona around 5:45 pm (or 17:45 -- I'd better get used to that) and it might be too late to nab a spot in the abergue. Quality isn't an issue, since the hostel is really just to sleep off jetlag and relax before I start off to Cizur Menor.

Anyone else getting into Pamplona around that time? I'd love to start off with someone if possible.

my hotel in santiago confirmed my reservation via email, and indicated that they'd call me to obtain my credit card info. they did so when they said they would, so i was comfortable with that.

depending on your degree of personal security, i suggest seeing if you can schedule a time to receive/call them and provide your information over the phone.

good luck!
athena

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back