• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Message from His Holiness Benedict XVI

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Message from His Holiness Benedict XVI

On the occasion of the Opening of Cmpostela Holy Year 2010 December 31, 2009
To Bishop Julián Barrio Barrio - Archbishop of Santiago de Compostela

1.For at the opening of the Holy Door, which starts at Compostela Jubilee 2010, I extend warm greetings to you and to the participants in this important ceremony, and the pastors and faithful of that particular church which immemorial for its connection with St. James is rooted in the Gospel of Christ by offering this spiritual treasure their children and pilgrims in Galicia, in other parts of Spain, Europe and the farthest corners of the world.
With this ceremony, opens a special time of grace and forgiveness, "Kippur," as tradition. A particular opportunity for believers to reflect on its true vocation to holiness of life, imbued with the Word of God that illuminates and summons, and to know Christ, who comes to meet him, accompanying them in the vicissitudes of his journey the world and delivered to them personally, especially in the Eucharist. But those who have no faith, or perhaps wither have left, have a unique opportunity to receive the gift of "He who enlightens all men so that they can finally live" (Lumen Gentium, 16).
2. Santiago de Compostela is distinguished from ancient times for being eminent goal of pilgrims, whose steps have marked a road named after the Apostle, to whose tomb come people especially the most diverse regions of Europe to renew and strengthen their faith. A road strewn with many samples of fervor, penance, hospitality, art and culture that speaks eloquently of the spiritual roots of the Old Continent.
The motto of this new Compostela Holy Year 'Pilgrimage towards the light'And the pastoral letter for the occasion, "Pilgrims of faith and witness of the risen Christ"Faithfully follow this tradition and propose again as a call to evangelize men and women of today, recalling the essentially Pilgrim Church and Christian in this world (cf. Lumen Gentium, 6.48-50). Along the way they do provide new horizons reconsider the narrows of their own lives and the vastness that human beings have within and outside himself, preparing to go for what your heart really desires. Open to the surprise and transcendence, the pilgrim leaves instructed by the Word of God, and so is your faith decanting adhesion and unfounded fears. So did the risen Lord with the disciples, bewildered and discouraged, were on their way to Emmaus. When the word is added to the gesture of breaking bread, the disciples' eyes were opened "(cf. Lc 24.31) and acknowledged that they believed sunk in death. Then personal encounter with Christ, who lives forever and is part of their lives. At that time, his first and most ardent desire is to proclaim and witness what happened to others (cf. Lc 24.35).
I pray fervently to the Lord to accompany the pilgrims who are drawn to and into their hearts, "so that they may have life and have it abundantly" (Jn 10:10). This is the true goal, the grace, that the mere material Camino route can not achieve on its own, and leads the pilgrim to become witness to others that Christ lives and is our undying hope of salvation. In this Archdiocese, along with many other church organizations, have launched many pastoral initiatives to help achieve this essential goal of the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, for spiritual, though in some cases tend to ignore or distort it.

In this Holy Year, in line with the Year of Priests, a role corresponds to the elders, the spirit of acceptance and surrender to the faithful and pilgrims should be particularly generous. Pilgrims also they are called to serve their brothers by giving them the life of God, as men of the divine word and the sacred (cf. At the international priestly retreat in Ars, 28 September 2009). Breath, then, the priests of the Archdiocese, as well as those who join them during this Jubilee and the diocese where the road passes, to do everything possible in the administration of the sacraments of Penance and the Eucharist, since the most searched, most precious and Holy Year is characteristic of Forgiveness and the encounter with the living Christ.
4. In this circumstance, I express my special closeness to the pilgrims who come and continue to reach Santiago. I invite you to make suggestive collection of experiences of faith, charity and brotherhood that lie in its operation, to live all the way on the inside, letting challenged by the call that the Lord gives to each of them. Then they can say with joy and determination on the Portico de la Gloria: "I believe". Pray also that in its lilting prayer not to forget those who could not accompany them, their families and friends, the sick and needy, the migrants, to the fragile in faith and God's people with their pastors.

5. I cordially thank the archdiocese of Santiago as well as to the authorities and other partners, their efforts in preparing this Jubilee Compostela, as well as volunteers and those who are willing to contribute to its smooth running. I trust the spiritual and pastoral fruits of this Holy Year to our Mother of Heaven, Pilgrim Virgin and the Apostle James, the "friend of the Lord", while with affection I impart to all my Apostolic Blessing.

http://www.cope.es/religion/31-12-09--p ... o-121149-1

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back