• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Messed up my timings...

Cbok82

Time of past OR future Camino
September 18
So I've booked flights to Biarritz on 10th of October to walk part way from SJPDP and flying home from Madrid on 15th October.

My original idea was to walk SJPDP to Pamplona but in my stupidity I've realised I actually have 4 days walking rather than 3 and will be in Pamplona by the 13th rather than 14th

So I guess my question is, should I stop at Orrisson on day 1? Meaning I still finish in Pamplona? Or should I continue walking on to Puente La Reina on my last day?? Also is Orrisson even open at that time of year??

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
According to their website, Orisson is open April to October.

You could spend a night there, walk on to Puente la Reina, or spend a tourist day in Pamplona.

So I've booked flights to Biarritz on 10th of October to walk part way from SJPDP and flying home from Madrid on 15th October.

My original idea was to walk SJPDP to Pamplona but in my stupidity I've realised I actually have 4 days walking rather than 3 and will be in Pamplona by the 13th rather than 14th

So I guess my question is, should I stop at Orrisson on day 1? Meaning I still finish in Pamplona? Or should I continue walking on to Puente La Reina on my last day?? Also is Orrisson even open at that time of year??

lots of buses back to pamplona from puente; but i'd stay in orisson

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd also recommend walking from St Jean to Orisson, its around 7.5km and most of its a steady incline and a good introduction to Pyrenees and although short distance it's more than enough for good First day walk. Stop over, meet and greet other Pilgrims, saviour the majestic view and set off the next day towards Roncesvalles, another 18.5km.Allternatively you could spend extra day and night in Madrid if you like to party or take short train ride from Madrid to my favourite Spanish city, Toledo 🤠

I had thought of the extra night in Madrid, but I guess I'd rather have the extra night on the Camino.

Leaning towards Orisson. I'm walking with my sister, who really has no idea about the Camino and decided to come with me at the last minute. A short day may be best to ease her I'm. But my mindset 8km on day 1 is cheating? I"m aware that it is a difficult ascent and more than likely I wont feel that at the time 😂 I walked Sarria- Santiago last Sept...I want to complete the whole thing, but unfortunately for the foreseeable I wont be able to do it all at once...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A short day may be best to ease her I'm. But my mindset 8km on day 1 is cheating?

No way is it cheating. I walked my Camino in September last year and was grateful, relieved and exhausted by the time I reached Orisson. It takes a while to adapt and after this I walked three Caminos after one another. Only now in September this year I'm confident and prepared enough to walk the full 26km in one day. Trust me you or your sister won't regret it plus it'll make your short 4 days seem like a week. I cheated last year by taking the bus across the Meseta so I'm back this year as a penance to walk my emotional part of the Camino. Your section is the Physical bit, named for a reason, your soon to find out. Ultreia 🤠

But my mindset 8km on day 1 is cheating?
Certainly not cheating. But probably not necessary either. The vast majority of those who walk the Route Napoleon do the whole stage from SJPDP to Roncesvalles in one day. And the great majority walk the Route Napoleon rather than the Valcarlos route. Orisson can only accommodate about 10% of those who leave SJPDP on a busy day. The rest seem to manage somehow.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The vast majority of those who walk the Route Napoleon do the whole stage from SJPDP to Roncesvalles in one day.
You make a valid point but only 1 in 4 who start at SJPdP finish in Santiago. I expect the challenging first day puts them off or they pick up an injury that impact's on the remainder of their walk. Obviously other reasons might be deadlines and other travel arrangements. I will be walking it in one day next month for the challenge but still would recommend making it over two days, booking permitted and if not in Orisson then Kayola is another option owned by same owners and if book month in advance can't see there been an issue with availability in October. The Camino is a people path of positive intention so more time you stop, share a pilgrim meal and integrate with so called Camino family the more insight you receive about yourself and others. They'll be lots of time for the internal journey of introspection on long stretches after Roncesvalles but my two days on the Pyrenees were very special 🤠

I'd vote for a tourist day in Pamplona. It has a lot of history and at that time of the year all the tourist stuff left over from San Fermin (the running of the bulls) will be around half priced.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If I made the same mistake I would spend the extra day in Pamplona. On my next CF I wouldn't have a problem spending another day there before setting off for SdC.

I just had dinner out in Wellington with previous and future Camino Frances pilgrims and our consistent advice to those about to do it was stop in Orisson on Day 1. The reason: the camaraderie established at the pilgrims dinner sets you up for the rest of the Camino. Some of the people we met there in 2017 remain our friends today.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Orisson night stop is a sensible choice as others have advised. Pamplona is a great place and will be buzzing. But if you carried on from there you'd see Alto del Perdon. Choices, choices.

I had thought of the extra night in Madrid, but I guess I'd rather have the extra night on the Camino.

Leaning towards Orisson. I'm walking with my sister, who really has no idea about the Camino and decided to come with me at the last minute. A short day may be best to ease her I'm. But my mindset 8km on day 1 is cheating? I"m aware that it is a difficult ascent and more than likely I wont feel that at the time 😂 I walked Sarria- Santiago last Sept...I want to complete the whole thing, but unfortunately for the foreseeable I wont be able to do it all at once...
8 km on your first day may be considered cheating by some it all depends on your fitness level and dedication to walking. I don't like long waits at the end of the day so I tend to walk long days. On my CF I walked to Espinal on the First day and stayed in Pamplona on my 2nd night. I kept up a similar pace throughout the CF and now I feel lime I cheated my self.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On my CF I walked to Espinal on the First day and stayed in Pamplona on my 2nd night. I kept up a similar pace throughout the CF and now I feel lime I cheated my self.
Ambitious! I like to walk quite long days too and generally average about 30km per day when on a long-distance route. Unless I was injured or ill I would find it quite hard to stop after only 8km. I have walked the Route Napoleon twice and the idea of stopping at Orisson never once crossed my mind. Of course the fact that both those walks predated the opening of the albergue might have had something to do with that... :cool: On my most recent Camino Frances walk I chose to go via Valcarlos for a change.

Ambitious! I like to walk quite long days too and generally average about 30km per day when on a long-distance route. Unless I was injured or ill I would find it quite hard to stop after only 8km. I have walked the Route Napoleon twice and the idea of stopping at Orisson never once crossed my mind. Of course the fact that both those walks predated the opening of the albergue might have had something to do with that... :cool: On my most recent Camino Frances walk I chose to go via Valcarlos for a change.
The last few km on the valcarlos are pretty steep too.

The last few km on the valcarlos are pretty steep too.
True. I chose to walk via Valcarlos simply because I had already walked the Route Napoleon twice and wanted to try the alternative route. In practice I found little difference in time and effort between the two. Very few people walked the Valcarlos route that day - I saw fewer than a dozen in total between SJPDP and the Ibaneta chapel although well over 400 had left SJPDP that morning. I arrived at Roncesvalles in mid-afternoon to find the place already heaving with people who had taken the higher level route. Having now walked both routes I much prefer the Route Napoleon and if I find myself walking from SJPDP again that is the route I would take.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just had dinner out in Wellington with previous and future Camino Frances pilgrims and our consistent advice to those about to do it was stop in Orisson on Day 1. The reason: the camaraderie established at the pilgrims dinner sets you up for the rest of the Camino. Some of the people we met there in 2017 remain our friends today.
It may be too late to get a reservation at Orisson. Under the same conditions that the OP said I would seriously doubt that I would stop there myself. Since it is so highly regarded as a place to make long term camino friends and since my walk would only be for a few days why not let someone going the full distance spend the night in Orisson instead?

Don’t stop in Orrisson. It’s a hard first day but Orrisson is only 5/6 miles from SJPP and by the time you get there, you’ll have the steeped part of the day over. Also, the walk from Pamplona is one of the best days on the Camino - good luck with it.

If you're not a regular, long distance, rucksack carrying walker then Orisson is a very welcome stopover. Those few miles are tough.

Orisson itself may be overbooked, but ask for Gite Kayola 800 meters before Orisson.
There are just beds, but supper and breakfast are available in Orisson.
You can book it from Orisson.
Leave the last day open: possible to stay in Pamplona, Madrid or maybe you need it if something
happens. Next airports are anyway Pamplona or Burgos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The secret to walking only 8 km the first day and not feel like you are cheating is to do it in a jet lagged state after traveling for 24-48 hours with little sleep.
And get a late start from St Jean. Have a leisurely breakfast, explore the town and set out no earlier than 11:00. You'll arrive in time to shower, wash your clothes and enjoy a beer or glass of wine with your new pilgrim friends, enjoying the views from the terrace.

Granted I was walking in a heat wave and have short little legs, but I was exhausted and stupified by the time I reached Roncesvalles. I'd habe been better served, and might not have lost toenails, if I'd stopped at Orisson.

Well given that you want to keep walking, why not walk on to Puente la Reina and take the bus to Madrid from there?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I have walked the Frances route twice , each Time i stopped at Orrisson as it the best fun ever . You meet so many friends and they remain a big part of your walk . They put on an amazing meal , and at the end , each person gets up and introduces themselves and says why they are walking the Camino . I intend on walking this route again when I retire in 4 years , and I will stay here again . Many happy memories .
You have to reserve , but they have a web site now which makes it easier . Bon Camino
Denise

My introduction to the Camino Frances was rather different - when I stayed at Orisson at the beginning of October this year, I had the hostel to myself - a very strange experience after having read about the evenings meeting other pilgrims.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back