• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meteora to Mount Athos? - proposal for new walking route

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
The regional governor for the relevant part of Greece has proposed the creation of a new walking route from the monastery complex at Meteora to Mount Athos. A distance of about 350km. He has apparently been very impressed by the tourism potential of the Caminos and is suggesting a similar style of route with new infrastructure to support walkers. The article does not mention the small potential fly in the ointment which is that Mount Athos would not be open to 50% of the potential walkers.... It is an interesting idea though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The regional governor for the relevant part of Greece has proposed the creation of a new walking route from the monastery complex at Meteora to Mount Athos. A distance of about 350km. He has apparently been very impressed by the tourism potential of the Caminos and is suggesting a similar style of route with new infrastructure to support walkers. The article does not mention the small potential fly in the ointment which is that Mount Athos would not be open to 50% of the potential walkers.... It is an interesting idea though.

The linked website was all Greek to me. 😂😂😂

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've seen some of this route on PBS, and thought how nice it would be to visit--until the host said No women allowed!

Wow, that's very interesting.
First I came to Meteora (the village is Kalambaka though) before I became a climber and then I returned to climb there. And a year later (middle 80's) I also climbed Mt.Athos. Well, it's not reall a climb, just a regular mountain ascent. But beautiful.

This route would be definitely on my list :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ah, if only ... but it seems that I'll have to remain content with reading Patrick Leigh Fermor et al.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You could walk from Meteora to Ouranoupoli then look at Mount Athos through binoculars. But that might be a bit of an anticlimax :cool:

Yes indeed, but travelling light means leaving my hefty binoculars at home, more’s the pity.

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.