• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Metro to Estacion Sur

ashearer

Time of past OR future Camino
De Madrid, May-June of 2013
Hi, any tips on taking the metro from the airport to estacion Sur in Madrid? Have to get to Zamora and Estacion Sur looks to be the only bus option.

Thanks,
Andy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Take the Metro from the airport to Nuevos Ministerios and transfer from there to Line 6 -Grey - and get off at Mendes Alvarez. The bus station is directly above the Metro station. The people at the Metro station at the airport can give you a map and details.

Hi, Andy,
Give yourself plenty of time. I've done this and the distance between those lines at Nuevos Ministerios isn't trivial. I think the whole trip will take close to an hour.

One last thing -- the #6 line is not a point to point route, it's a circular route, so sometimes signage gets complicated.

Good luck with this -- are you walking the Sanabres? I ask because I'm starting from Valencia soon and will join up with the Vdlp/Sanabres in Zamora. Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks so much for the responses! Yes, we are walking the Sanabres! Will be arriving 5/17. We were going to start in Salamanca, which would be easier since apparently you can get a bus there directly from the airport terminal, but we have limited time and want to be free to walk to either Muxia, Finisterre, or both after reaching Santiago. I'm still debating whether or not it would be simpler to go to Salamanca and then get a bus to Zamora. Problem there is that we arrive early AM and it looks like the first bus leaves at 1:00 pm to Salamanca.

Thanks again and buen camino to all!

Laurie, when are you going? Sounds awesome!!

Peace,
Andy

Hi, Andy,
I am leaving on May 1 from the US for Valencia. I hope to start walking on May 3. So I don't think we will overlap. But I am determined to find a place in Santiago where forum members can go to meet up. So this year I will do some hunting. It would be so great to have a place where we could all just go and meet each other! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi.

I was told by Spaniards that it's a bit difficult/convoluted to take the metro to Estacion Sur, and taxis could run you as much as 50 euros if you get stuck in traffic. They advised me to spend 24€ (split if you're in a group) to take the AeroCity shuttle to Madrid's Estación Sur de Autobuses. I've always done that. It's a snap, very fast, and sometimes I've paid as little as 8 euros.

Melanie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Melanie,
That's a great suggestion. I've never used Aerocity but know plenty of people who have, and they have always gotten good service.

The metro is certainly a more hectic option, and the change at Nuevos Ministerios is a long walk. The Circular route has signs that list all the upcoming stops in order in both directions. So if you're going to take the Circular from Nuevos Ministerios to Mendez Alvaro, the first stop in the right direction would be Avenida de America. But even in good circumstances, it's probably a 50 minute metro trip.

Thanks everyone so much for your input. It is a huge help! The route straight to Salamanca from the airport is looking better and better. This site looks promising for getting from Salamanca to Zamora:

http://www.zamorasalamanca.es/

Thanks again,
Andy

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.