• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Metro to Vilarinho do Pinheiro

Bezotz

We will be arriving in Porto by plane on Friday August 22 at around 2:00 pm. We would like to take the Metro to Villa Do Pinheiro and start our walk from this point. Is there any reasonable priced hostels along this route close to metro stations that would be easy to find quickly? We want to avoid Porto as much as possible, but realize we may have to stay here the first night. Thank You for the help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Porto is a beautifull city ,worthwhile visiting and has the best in it to start from there.

The first accomodation,pilgrims use is at Arcos at 7 kms north from Vilarinho .Not the cheapest and continuing to São Pedro de Rates at 14 kms there is a very nice albergue and you can obtain the best stamp on your credential from the entire caminho Portuges.

A good option is to stay the night in Porto and if you do not like to walk out of Porto (walking along the river Douro and the Atlantic coast is figuratively spoken a killer-take the bus or metro to Matosinhos to metro and busstop Matosinhos Mercado, walk over the bridge of the Porto Leixoes harbour follow the waymarkers to the left and after a few hundreds of meters you will see why this coastal route is preferable to the route through the busy industrial infrastructure,

After 20 kms from Matosinhos isVila do Conde and from there the waymarkers lead you to either the coastal route to Caminha or to the interior route to São Pedro de Rates and Barcelos.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
Casa da Laura in Vilarinho is nice. Small, one dorm, nice and clean. And a great garden to sit in. Vilarinho itself is not that great.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am surprised others are avoiding the walk out of Porto. I left from the cathedral and loved it all. It is no different to walking into or out of any reasonable sized city. Porto is so lovely you must try to enjoy a day wandering before you start. I took one of the 'free' (donation) walking tours and it was awesome. Have a meal of BBQ sardines down by the river washed down with a wine or dry sherry mmmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

I am surprised others are avoiding the walk out of Porto. I left from the cathedral and loved it all. It is no different to walking into or out of any reasonable sized city. Porto is so lovely you must try to enjoy a day wandering before you start. I took one of the 'free' (donation) walking tours and it was awesome. Have a meal of BBQ sardines down by the river washed down with a wine or dry sherry mmmmmmm

I agree with you. Grace .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I thought walking out of Porto towards Vilarinho was just like walking out of Leon, Burgos and Pamplona.....combined.

Some parts are to ridiculous for words. I can't believe that you are even allowed to walk on some of the roads.
And the first part thru all the suburbs is just plain awfull

But, these are my findings. If you enjoyed this, than good for you :)

We will be arriving in Porto by plane on Friday August 22 at around 2:00 pm. We would like to take the Metro to Villa Do Pinheiro and start our walk from this point. Is there any reasonable priced hostels along this route close to metro stations that would be easy to find quickly? We want to avoid Porto as much as possible, but realize we may have to stay here the first night. Thank You for the help.

First of all, let me tell you that, if you haven't booked in for an Hostel untill now, you will have probably some problems to find a cheaper price, or even a spot. I usually sleep in Dixo's Oporto Hostel, it has been for two years in a row, the Best World Hostel, for Hostelworld.com

For other options, you can always check the Via Lusitana Albergues list in here: http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/

I hope that I've helped you.

Bom Caminho.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I thought walking out of Porto towards Vilarinho was just like walking out of Leon, Burgos and Pamplona.....combined.

Some parts are to ridiculous for words. I can't believe that you are even allowed to walk on some of the roads.
And the first part thru all the suburbs is just plain awfull

But, these are my findings. If you enjoyed this, than good for you :)
Russian roulette !

I haven't seen people talk about the albergue at Vairão, just before Vilarinho (~1km).
It is an old monastery, with small rooms (4 to 6 beds). The surroundings are beautiful, with interesting mausoleums in the cemetery.
I stopped there last year and really enjoyed it.

First of all, let me tell you that, if you haven't booked in for an Hostel untill now, you will have probably some problems to find a cheaper price, or even a spot. I usually sleep in Dixo's Oporto Hostel, it has been for two years in a row, the Best World Hostel, for Hostelworld.com

For other options, you can always check the Via Lusitana Albergues list in here: http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/

I hope that I've helped you.

Bom Caminho.
Let me get this right, do I have to book in hostels ahead if time? I thought they were on first come basis.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Let me get this right, do I have to book in hostels ahead if time? I thought they were on first come basis.
We never did exept for the first day . In the brierley guide you'll find the name of the places to stay with phonenumber and in case you doubt you can give them a call on the morning before you will arrive.
If you see big groups walking in front of you you know they are applying for a bed too but to us this never happened on the Portugese.
If you are intending to stay at casa de Fernanda,which I advise to do for the best place to stay on the camino Portuges, give them a call a day before you will arrive there because many pilgrims like to stay there.

If you stay in Porto for one night, yes you have to do it. Oh and just another thing, why Vilar do Pinheiro? Why not Matosinhos or Póvoa do Varzim? For what I remember, Vilar do Pinheiro still catches some of the worst parts of getting out from Porto.

Last edited:
If you stay in Porto for one night, yes you have to do it. Oh and just another thing, why Vilar do Pinheiro? Why not Matosinhos or Póvoa do Varzim? FOr what I remember, Vilar do Pinheiro still catches some of the worst parts of getting out from Porto.
Hey amigo querido ! We allready had that discussion here and on another thread this week.
Everybody by now is convinced that the route to Vilarinho is not done anymore !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey amigo querido ! We allready had that discussion here and on another thread this week.
Everybody by now is convinced that the route to Vilarinho is not done anymore !

I don't know if you get it, but Vilarinho is Vilarinho, and Vilarinho do Pinheiro don't exist. What exists is Vilar do Pinheiro, a place for what I remember, that doesn't even have signs in there, and will make them walk in the N3 (see the Red Line map):

Rede_metro_do_porto.png

I've not seen Bezotz saying what they have decided, so that's why I'm asking.

Last edited:
I don't know if you get it, but Vilarinho is Vilarinho, and Vilarinho do Pinheiro don't exist. What exists is Vilar do Pinheiro, a place for what I remember, that doesn't even have signs in there, and will make them walk in the N3:

View attachment 11999

I've not seen Bezotz saying what they have decided, so that's why I'm asking.
I am curious too my friend

But coming back to Vilarinho this is a dangerous route for pilgrims and for cardrivers too !
Your fellow Portugese cardrivers even try to merge in between my car and my hooked on caravan ! I thought they only tried that in Milano Italy or in Paris but in Portugal there are no surprises about that matter anymore. Anyway not to me :)ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406712334.395105.jpg

Picture for those who do not know how European tourists sometimes travel.. With their own house on wheels. We call it in slang a"sleurhut" which translated a draghut :)
Once we were on a parkingplace aside a motorway, I thought it was in Italy or Switzerland and a bus full of Chinese tourists stopped for a pee and a wee and they were looking into the caravan, pictured it and us ,asked us if this was our way of living and were very astonished, even shocked and surprised. Ha ha. Never seen a "drag hut" before. Amusing !

Last edited:
I am curious too my friend

But coming back to Vilarinho this is a dangerous route for pilgrims and for cardrivers too !
Your fellow Portugese cardrivers even try to merge in between my car and my hooked on caravan ! I thought they only tried that in Milano Italy or in Paris but in Portugal there are no surprises about that matter anymore. Anyway not to me :)View attachment 12000

Picture for those who do not know who European tourists sometimes travel.. With their own house on wheels. We call it in slang a"sleurhut" which translated a draghut :)
Once we were on a parkingplace aside a motorway, I thought it was in Italy or Switzerland and a bus full of Chinese tourists stopped for a pee and a wee and they were looking into the caravan, pictured it and us ,asked us if this was our way of living and were very astonished, even shocked and surprised. Ha ha. Never seen a "drag hut" before. Amusing !

Ahaha, just you for making me laugh like that my friend :D We have some caravans here in Portugal, but the majority stay parked in Camping and Recreation areas (like the one that I have).

And yes, we are getting more and more crazy on the road. And because of that I lost my car :mad:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We have never done this and are newbies. Thank you for all the help. Out reasoning is we want to make it to rates the first day of walking, but do not want to do over 20 km. we know our limits. This was an option in breirleys guide book. I am up for better options that are safer, but do not have us walking over our 20 km limit.

We have never done this and are newbies. Thank you for all the help. Out reasoning is we want to make it to rates the first day of walking, but do not want to do over 20 km. we know our limits. This was an option in breirleys guide book. I am up for better options that are safer, but do not have us walking over our 20 km limit.
Hmm sometimes life is hard.
Any way than I should suggest take the metro out of Porto to Vila do Conde and walk from there (nice old aquaduct you'll see ) to São Pedro de Rates about 18 kms. 4 kms more brings you to Pedra Furada give him a call on beforehand. 00351 917 838 144 if rooms are available

From there it is about14 kms to Barcelos and from Barcelos to Casa da Fernanda 20 kms

The next day I advise you only to walk to Ponte de Lima from there 14 kms and stay there ffor the night because the next day is the hardest,
Ascending and descending the Labruja mountain 18 kms to Rubiaës

From there you are on the regular caminho schedule

Rubiaës to Valença /Tui. 20/23 kms

Valenca/Tui o Porriño 20 kms

O Porriño to Arcade 20 kms

Arcada San Amaro 20 kms

From there it is figuering and puzzling out and about a bit but I come out on about 10 to 11 days to Santiago as I counted well

I have a look in my picturealbum how we coped

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Once again thank you for your help. We are going to break it down a bit more. We are taking 13 days of walking. Here is our schedule. If we take the metro to Vila do Condo, then walk to rates
Rates to Barcelos
Barcelos to Lugar De Corgo
Lugar De Corgo to Ponte De Lima
Ponte De Lima to Rubias
Rubias to Tui
Tui to Porrino
Porrino to Redondela
Redondela to Ponteverda
Ponteverda to Caldas de Reis
Caldas de Reis to Padron
Padron to Teo
Teo to Santiago.
Does this look like a practical schedule and how much elevation do we gain on the mountain out of Ponte de Lima? I sure do appreciate all the help, hopefully one day I pass the favors on.

Once again thank you for your help. We are going to break it down a bit more. We are taking 13 days of walking. Here is our schedule. If we take the metro to Vila do Condo, then walk to rates
Rates to Barcelos
Ponte De Lima to Rubias
Rubias to Tui
Tui to Porrino
Porrino to Redondela
Redondela to Ponteverda
Caldas de Reis to Padron
Padron to Teo
Teo to Santiago.
Does this look like a practical schedule and how much elevation do we gain on the mountain out of Ponte de Lima? I sure do appreciate all the help, hopefully one day I pass the favors on.

Great planing seriously!

Rates to Barcelos
Ponte De Lima to Rubias
Rubias to Tui
Tui to Porrino
Porrino to Redondela
Redondela to Ponteverda
Caldas de Reis to Padron
Padron to Teo
Teo to Santiago.

Are you going with the kids? :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rates to Barcelos
Ponte De Lima to Rubias
Rubias to Tui
Tui to Porrino
Porrino to Redondela
Redondela to Ponteverda
Caldas de Reis to Padron
Padron to Teo
Teo to Santiago.
Great. ! This was my schedule too !

Okay. It is not only a matter of elevation but more that it is not a proper tarmac road !
It took us about 7 hours to get from Ponte de Lima to the first hostal you 'll see after dcending the Alto de Portela ., São Rogue And from there it was another three kms to the Rubiaes albergue and/or a restaurant hill downwards ! . So we stayed in the São Rogue hostal and the cook of the restaurant in Rubiaes picked us up with a big 4x4 Toyota car and brought us to the restaurant, my wife and I consumed a meal,all together 20€ and the cook brought us back to the hostal. That is Portugal ! Great country
Look at my pictures what you can expect. Bom caminhoImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406743275.292768.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406743291.542650.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406743300.560938.jpg

Last edited:
We are not traveling with kids just me and my dad who is 78. We want yo enjoy our time and not feel beat up. The trail in pictures look like our hiking trails back home. Very excited for my adventure! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are not traveling with kids just me and my dad who is 78. We want yo enjoy our time and not feel beat up. The trail in pictures look like our hiking trails back home. Very excited for my adventure! :)

You will have a very good experience with your dad. I will be very happy if you give us a report, when you come back.

I'm also happy that you enjoyed the photos. With that plan, I don't think you'll have any problem.

Bom Caminho, Peregrino!

P.S: If you need something during your stay in Portugal, any help with a bus or something, PM me ;)

Hmm sometimes life is hard.
Any way than I should suggest take the metro out of Porto to Vila do Conde and walk from there (nice old aquaduct you'll see ) to São Pedro de Rates about 18 kms. 4 kms more brings you to Pedra Furada give him a call on beforehand. 00351 917 838 144 if rooms are available

From there it is about14 kms to Barcelos and from Barcelos to Casa da Fernanda 20 kms

The next day I advise you only to walk to Ponte de Lima from there 14 kms and stay there ffor the night because the next day is the hardest,
Ascending and descending the Labruja mountain 18 kms to Rubiaës

From there you are on the regular caminho schedule

Rubiaës to Valença /Tui. 20/23 kms

Valenca/Tui o Porriño 20 kms

O Porriño to Arcade 20 kms

Arcada San Amaro 20 kms

From there it is figuering and puzzling out and about a bit but I come out on about 10 to 11 days to Santiago as I counted well

I have a look in my picturealbum how we coped
I have yet another question. The Brierley guide book says from Vila do Conde to S. Pedro de Rates is only 12.7 km. is his km off somewhat?

I have yet another question. The Brierley guide book says from Vila do Conde to S. Pedro de Rates is only 12.7 km. is his km off somewhat?
Yes all distances are in kms. We found the Porto to Santiago leg more relaxing than the Lisbon to Porto one. We walked during the entire pilgrimage between 15 and 20kms and from Porto it is good to do but from Lisbon you have to puzzle about but Due to the availabilty of a bed between two places. But there we achieved our goals too.
I must admit we had no time limit. We even had time to stay one more night if a place was interesting to sightsee . i only booked the flight to Lisbon and just a couple of days before arriving in Santiago I found an acceptable flight back home from Porto so we travelled back from Santiago to Porto and had there some days off as tourists :) the whole journey was 6 weeks.
This year we walked the camino Ingles. Not a long distance. Can be done in 5 to 6 days. We did it in 8days. We took our car and caravan with us and stayed away for over 2 month and travelled around in Portugal ,Spain and France,camping. Pensionados:)
Next year we fly again to Porto to walk the coastal.

Last edited:

€46,-
Porto is a beautifull city ,worthwhile visiting and has the best in it to start from there.

The first accomodation,pilgrims use is at Arcos at 7 kms north from Vilarinho .Not the cheapest and continuing to São Pedro de Rates at 14 kms there is a very nice albergue and you can obtain the best stamp on your credential from the entire caminho Portuges.

A good option is to stay the night in Porto and if you do not like to walk out of Porto (walking along the river Douro and the Atlantic coast is figuratively spoken a killer-take the bus or metro to Matosinhos to metro and busstop Matosinhos Mercado, walk over the bridge of the Porto Leixoes harbour follow the waymarkers to the left and after a few hundreds of meters you will see why this coastal route is preferable to the route through the busy industrial infrastructure,

After 20 kms from Matosinhos isVila do Conde and from there the waymarkers lead you to either the coastal route to Caminha or to the interior route to São Pedro de Rates and Barcelos.
Bom caminho
I and my wife are planning to complete the Portuguese Camino from Porto to Santiago in Oct. We will fly into Porto Airport, spend the first night near the airport, the next day sightseeing in Porto stay in Porto that night. The second day take the metro to Mercando on the coast, then walk to Vile De Conde , these three night’s accommodation are pre booked

After Vile De Conde we plan to take a taxi to Acros to join the interior route, then follow John Brierley’s guide and seek accommodation as we go. We have allowed 15 days in total for the trip including 2 days in Santiago and have already pre booked a hotel in Santiago

Last year I completed the CF alone and it was wonderful, the only concern I have reading the forum about Portuguese Camino the is the road traffic danger as described by pilgrims, and the possibility of getting individual room accommodation at a reasonable price

I and my wife are planning to complete the Portuguese Camino from Porto to Santiago in Oct. We will fly into Porto Airport, spend the first night near the airport, the next day sightseeing in Porto stay in Porto that night. The second day take the metro to Mercando on the coast, then walk to Vile De Conde , these three night’s accommodation are pre booked

After Vile De Conde we plan to take a taxi to Acros to join the interior route, then follow John Brierley’s guide and seek accommodation as we go. We have allowed 15 days in total for the trip including 2 days in Santiago and have already pre booked a hotel in Santiago

Last year I completed the CF alone and it was wonderful, the only concern I have reading the forum about Portuguese Camino the is the road traffic danger as described by pilgrims, and the possibility of getting individual room accommodation at a reasonable price
Great plan Daniel. The walk from Vila do Conde is beautiful ,partly over an antique Roman road and in São Pedro is a nice albergue. Why not stay there ? This is the caminho experience
And did you read about my recommendation about Casa da Fernanda ? If you haven't stayed there, you missed THE place of the camiho Portuges.

I think in October there is no need at all to pre book hotels and such. The caminho provides and the unknown is a good part of this great walk.
Anyway. If you have questions about it my fellow forummembers and I are pleased to help and advise you. There is more than a million years of experience on this forum
Bom caminho

Noooooo problem at all. The only day with awfull traffic is day one out of Porto, but only if you walk inland to Vilarinho. You plan to walk along the coast from Porto on day one, so you will have a great first day and no worries are needed for busy traffic. :)

Individual rooms? Also widely available. Anywhere from 25-35 euro per night you can find nice places to sleep all along the Portugees route. If those prices are ok for you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back