• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Miam Miam Dodo Guidebook

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi guys,

Is there much of a difference between last year's Miam Miam Dodo guidebook and this year's one? Shall I spend the money and upgrade?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers
Sonia
:)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The changes may be small, but they may be significant. For just directions, the older edition will be fine. If you want phone numbers and the latest accommodation listings and accurate prices, get the new edition. It probably is out of date as soon as it is published, though.

I concur. The route has been known to change a bit from one year to another. Lodgings have been known to change owners, and even with the same, there can be changes to the email or phone or opening hours or closing days or amenity offerings or the number of rooms or the number of beds or whether there is a washing machine available and on and on and on. Definitely worth the price of a new one. However, I don't think it's necessary to pay the freight on having it sent out to you; just pick up a fresh copy at the newsagent in Le Puy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
But but but...my 2012 edition has six months worth of research and notations written into the margins this is a disaster!

scruffy1 said:
But but but...my 2012 edition has six months worth of research and notations written into the margins this is a disaster!

Scruffy, just take your annotated edition with you. The changes will only be 10% or less of the content. But you can check against the current edition (usually the gites have a copy) every several days, or ask your host. It will be ok - just don't be surprised if there are changes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
"just don't be surprised if there are changes" - certainly one of the most important lessons for survival on the Camino or the Chemin

We never booked ahead , walked in June/July 2011 and used a year old MMDD.
Had a great time and was not worried .

Sonia , you are having the luggage transported so they will have all the up to date numbers and also recommendations if you ask.

They might have places not mentioned.

We found at Concots , after Limonge , a private house owned by an english couple with a pool.
Cost ....the best 40e spent on the way and the accommodation in Cahors was the best value.
Stay a few days in Cahor........a v/good city.

Safe trip
David

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi David

All the places where I stayed between Le Puy and Figeac that were recommended on this site were great! As I am planning to walk from Rocamadour to Aire-sur-l'Adour this coming June, I would like to know where you stayed in Cahors.

Regards.
Dolfina

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Dolfina,

The Old Seminary

Its called La Maison des Oeuvres.
Wonderful BIG rooms, for singles or couples.
The cost to us a few years ago was 26e/double

Surrounded by gardens to relax.

*** Find a cafe/bar called La Garringue for lunch.
Wonderful food , with the locals and you will be spoilt.
Down by the river
The cost will be 12-13euro and you will not want dinner.

Enjoy Cahors its great.

Thornley said:
We never booked ahead , walked in June/July 2011 and used a year old MMDD.
Had a great time and was not worried .

Safe trip
David

That's reassurring to hear! I hate the thought of booking ahead, i just want to walk and stop when and where I feel like it but had become worried by posts on here suggestion bookings were essential on the Le Puy.

FrancesK said:
I hate the thought of booking ahead, i just want to walk and stop when and where I feel like it but had become worried by posts on here suggestion bookings were essential on the Le Puy.

Here's the thing. It is always recommended to book ahead on the Le Puy, but it is not (generally speaking) absolutely mandatory.

There are fewer walkers in France than in Spain, so there are fewer accommodations, and they are spaced further apart. The most popular months for walking are May and September, and the most popular days of the week for leaving Le Puy are Sunday and Monday. Most of the walkers on the Le Puy are French, and their standard practice is to book a day and a half ahead, if traveling as a couple. The French also enjoy walking in groups, and those will book months in advance (which fills up an entire gite). So it is very possible, during popular months and times, to find everything booked up. Or to find all the better quality accommodations filled, leaving you the place with the pig in the dining room (I am not making this up). While the Tourist Offices do their best to help out (they found one friend a couch-surfing accommodation when the rest of the town was booked), sometimes that's just not possible.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We had booked a gite, but all the bunks were taken when we arrived. The representative of the Mairie showed up later in the afternoon, and kicked out everyone without a reservation to make space for those with reservations. Some of the displaced slept on the kitchen floor, others had to sleep outside. Be as flexible as you want, but remember that the camino shapes you; you do not shape the camino!

Never a truer woed spoken Falcon
Well Said

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back