• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Michael Mary Pilgrimage Way Cycle Route

hecate105

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
'09 Portuguese Estellas '14 Aurelia '16 St Davids '17 Via Augusta/V dl P. '18/'19 Michael Mary Way
In June around the 18th, my husband and I will be cycling from the end of Cornwall, UK to Glastonbury making a cyclable route along the Michael Mary Pilgrim's Way. Carn Les Boel, St Buryan, Penzance, St Germoes, Crowan, Stithians, Perranarworthal, Trelissick, Tregony, Grampound Road, St Austell, Trethurgy, Luxulyan, Lostwithiel and St Neot are on my mapped route so far.
If anyone has any relevant info - sacred sites, Holy Wells, ancient stones, interesting churches, crosses, cyclable bridleways or tracks, campsites (particularly small ones) farm shops, veg stalls, good pubs (!) or if anyone would be happy to offer camping on their land or barn space for pilgrim's passing through - please contact me!
I have made a route on the Glastonbury to Hopton-On-Sea section see - https://pilgrimagecycle.wordpress.com/ so any feedback and/or info on that would be good too.
Once this bit is completed I hope to reorganise it all into a cycle guide and get it published. If I have time I will try and improve the blogsite too - but the technology is sadly cleverer than I am...!
It is a beautiful route passing through the stunning countryside that England has to offer - using ancient tracks, lanes and small roads almost all the way. We are a country rich in sacred history - pagan and Christian!
I will try and post the places St Neot to Brentor and on across Devon/Somerset soon. All info gladly received!
(especially whether churches are open - awful to cycle miles up hill to a locked door...!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many years ago I camped at St Buryan and discovered that the film 'Straw Dogs' starring Dustin Hoffman and Susan George was shot there. In the St Buryan Inn there are stills set against the local scenes - i.e. Sennen Cove, Porthcurno etc. Not historical info, but maybe worth a mention in your guide.
One of my favourite parts of Cornwall and I will be hiking the Michael Mary in the future.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Greetings from Oz Hecate -
The Mary Michael Cycle Way pilgrimage sounds wonderful. If you have time to do the occasional post on how it's all going for you and your husband, it would be fantastic to hear from you here on the Forum.
Have a Cornish cream tea or two for me and perhaps a Mead or two also!
Buen Cycle Camino and cheers -
Jenny

Hi Jenny - good to hear from you.. hope you make it to Devon again sometime!
It will probably be an ale - I have an understanding with my husband - if i drag him around hundreds of old churches and 'piles of rubble' (his words!) we have to stop at every open hostelry - he takes saving Britain's pubs very seriously...!!

Hi Jenny - good to hear from you.. hope you make it to Devon again sometime!
It will probably be an ale - I have an understanding with my husband - if i drag him around hundreds of old churches and 'piles of rubble' (his words!) we have to stop at every open hostelry - he takes saving Britain's pubs very seriously...!!
Lovely to hear from you too Hecate - aaah - I do love Devon and hope to make it to a future Camigos meeting sometime in the future and please put me down for a pre-order on your book! The refreshing ale sounds fantastic - that first glass wouldn't even touch the sides after a day's cycling! How responsible your husband is in his quest to save Britain's pubs! Seriously, there's nothing like the quintessential British pub - what a haven it is.
Happy vibes to you both from Oz -
Jenny

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From St Neot, Cornwall, UK - St Cleer, Minions, Stoke Climsland - then into Devon (YAY!) Sydenham Damerel, Milton Abbot, Brentor, Lydford, Belstone, South Zeal (and that over 20ft megalith built into the wall of the pub!) Hittisleigh, Uton, Crediton (3 Holy Wells!) Upton Hellions, Cadbury Hill, Tiverton and more to follow soon...!

Many years ago I camped at St Buryan and discovered that the film 'Straw Dogs' starring Dustin Hoffman and Susan George was shot there. In the St Buryan Inn there are stills set against the local scenes - i.e. Sennen Cove, Porthcurno etc. Not historical info, but maybe worth a mention in your guide.
How funny Davie Blisters - my OS map for that end of Cornwall was bought second-hand and has written on it about Straw Dogs being filmed at St Buryan! Maybe it was yours...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From Cadbury - Tiverton, then along canal thru Halberton, Sampford Peverell, then Holcombe Rogus, Thorne St Margaret, Bradford-on-Tone, Taunton, Thornfalcon, N Curry, Athelney, Burrow Mump, Othery, all the 'Zoys', Stawell, Moorlynch, Shapwick and finally to Glastonbury! Which is where we started last year - cycling mostly off road all the way to the East coast at Hopton-On-Sea. (see my blog below)
I just heard that two really good friends are heading to the Uk to join us, - so we will be enacting the old joke - a Welshman, an Englishwoman, a Thai lady and an American walked into a bar and..... :) :rolleyes:

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.