• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Michelin Guide for the Arles route?

SUSIE

Camino addict....
Hi
I would like to know if there is a Michelin Guide for the Arles route like the one for the Le Puy - St Jean Pied du Port?
If not where can I find between town to town a gradient/ altitude map.
I have the Miam Miam guide for Arles route and they don't have this.
I have seen the general gradient/ altitude for the whole route but don't find this helpful.
Thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When we walked the Arles route in 2013 we used the Miam Miam Dodo book almost exclusively. We had the CSJ (Confraternity of St. James) two guidebooks that we referenced occasionally because they were in English. We bought the Sentier book Falcon referenced in Toulouse but never really used it. It did have good maps in it, but like the MMDD it was in French. The route is very well marked and even if you don't have another guidebook you'll be fine. Enjoy the walk.....it's beautiful. Dayton and Karen

When we walked the Arles route in 2013 we used the Miam Miam Dodo book almost exclusively. We had the CSJ (Confraternity of St. James) two guidebooks that we referenced occasionally because they were in English. We bought the Sentier book Falcon referenced in Toulouse but never really used it. It did have good maps in it, but like the MMDD it was in French. The route is very well marked and even if you don't have another guidebook you'll be fine. Enjoy the walk.....it's beautiful. Dayton and Karen

Thank you Falcon I have ordered the 2 books suggested in this thread.

Karen thank you for your reply I can speak and read a little French so the books will help hopefully mainly for the gradients between towns hopefully as in the Michelin guide for Le Puy route.

I would really love to see your stages and how many days it took?
regards
Susie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Susie, We started in Montpelier and it took us 35 consecutive days to reach Puente la Reina. Here are our stages:
Montpelier > Montarnaud - 26.4 kms.
Montarnaud > Saint-Guilhem Le-Desert - 20.5
Saint-Guilhem > Saint-Jean de-la-Blaquière - 19.8
Saint-Jean > Lodève - 14
Lodève > La Séguinerie (Saint-Martin) -32.5
La Séguinerie > Saint-Gervais sur-Mare - 21.2
Saint-Gervais > Murat sur-Vèbre - 22.3
Murat sur-Vèbre > La Salvetat sur-Agout - 21.6
La Salvetat > Anglès - 16.8
Anglès > Boissezon - 25
Boissezon > Catres - 15.5
Castres > Abbaye Sainte- Scolastique - 19.7
Abbaye > Les Cassès - 33.5
Les Cassès > Villefranche de-Lauragais - 32
Villefranche > Donneville - 25.1
Donneville > Toulouse - 20
Toulouse (Pibrac) > L'Isle-Jourdain - 29
L'Isle-Jourdain > Gimont - 22.1
Gimont > La Croisée de St Cricq - 26
La Croisée > Montesquiou - 32.9
Montesquiou > Marciac - 21
Marciac > Maubourguet - 16.7
Maubourguet > Anoye - 23
Anoye > Pau - 30
Pau > Lacommande - 20.1
Lacommande > Oloron Sainte-Marie - 15.2
Oloron Sainte-Marie > Bedous - 28.5
Bedous > Urdos - 17.5
Urdos > Canfranc-Estación - 20
Canfranc-Estación > Jaca - 21.6
Jaca > Arrés - 25
Arrés > Ruesta - 24.5
Ruesta > Sangüesa - 21
Sangüesa > Monreal - 28.8
Monreal > Puente la Reina - 27.4

We had snow, lots of rain and days and days of mud....that's why some of the days were shorter. But all in all a fabulous walk. Difficult in stages (but aren't all Caminos!!!!!) but very manageable. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Bon Chemin

DAYTON and Karen

Hi Karen and Dayton
Thank you for your route of stages. I will study it well....
I hope to walk the end of August.
Were there any stages that were just road walking and could you suggest missing them?
Cheers
Susie

Hi
where can I find between town to town a gradient/ altitude map.

You can see/download the route on the gr-infos.com site (Voie d'Arles is the GR 653).

I found it useful to download the google earth files. I do not remember if the elevation profile is available directly or if you have to post process on a site like gpsvisualizer. Feel free to ask. (I also found it invaluable to import these files on mobile devices to supplement trailside markers).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Karen and Dayton
Were there any stages that were just road walking and could you suggest missing them?
Cheers
Susie
Hi Karen and Dayton
Cheers
Susie
Hi Susie, Sorry we didn't get back to you at the end of April. We were heading to do the Camino Portuguese and we just missed your note. I guess you're in France now. There wasn't really a stage that was ALL road walking. A little bit here, a bit there. Long stretches on the Canal du Midi coming into Toulouse but it was really relaxing. Hope you have a great walk. Dayton and Karen

Susie, We started in Montpelier and it took us 35 consecutive days to reach Puente la Reina. Here are our stages:
Montpelier > Montarnaud - 26.4 kms.
Montarnaud > Saint-Guilhem Le-Desert - 20.5
Saint-Guilhem > Saint-Jean de-la-Blaquière - 19.8
Saint-Jean > Lodève - 14
Lodève > La Séguinerie (Saint-Martin) -32.5
La Séguinerie > Saint-Gervais sur-Mare - 21.2
Saint-Gervais > Murat sur-Vèbre - 22.3
Murat sur-Vèbre > La Salvetat sur-Agout - 21.6
La Salvetat > Anglès - 16.8
Anglès > Boissezon - 25
Boissezon > Catres - 15.5
Castres > Abbaye Sainte- Scolastique - 19.7
Abbaye > Les Cassès - 33.5
Les Cassès > Villefranche de-Lauragais - 32
Villefranche > Donneville - 25.1
Donneville > Toulouse - 20
Toulouse (Pibrac) > L'Isle-Jourdain - 29
L'Isle-Jourdain > Gimont - 22.1
Gimont > La Croisée de St Cricq - 26
La Croisée > Montesquiou - 32.9
Montesquiou > Marciac - 21
Marciac > Maubourguet - 16.7
Maubourguet > Anoye - 23
Anoye > Pau - 30
Pau > Lacommande - 20.1
Lacommande > Oloron Sainte-Marie - 15.2
Oloron Sainte-Marie > Bedous - 28.5
Bedous > Urdos - 17.5
Urdos > Canfranc-Estación - 20
Canfranc-Estación > Jaca - 21.6
Jaca > Arrés - 25
Arrés > Ruesta - 24.5
Ruesta > Sangüesa - 21
Sangüesa > Monreal - 28.8
Monreal > Puente la Reina - 27.4

We had snow, lots of rain and days and days of mud....that's why some of the days were shorter. But all in all a fabulous walk. Difficult in stages (but aren't all Caminos!!!!!) but very manageable. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Bon Chemin

DAYTON and Karen

The new Miam Miam Dodo 2016-17 is now available directly from the publishers. Do you think that this would suffice as the German Rother guide is rather out of date....I plan to walk in September next year from Arles to Puenta de la Reina and aim to do it in 30 to 32 days. Anyone want to join???

Filly

Filly, Yes, I think the new MMD book would suffice. Getting from Arles to Puente la Reina in 30-32 days would be aggressive but the beautify of a Camino is that you can adjust along the way. Good luck and I'm sure you will enjoy the route. Dayton and Karen

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

This is a general question for my curiosity. It probably should be posted in “Equipment etc” but would probably get a lot of Spain replies. I’m not bringing my emergency beacon but I did read on...
Greetings pilgrims, We are walking next September from Lourdes to Somport and would like to hear stories and adv ice about the section from Urdos to Somport, with the big incline. Is this route...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back