• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

MICRO SIM vs Standard SIM - Available in Spain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nreyn12

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked (2005) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010) (2011) (2012) (2013) (2014) (2015); Guide 2013-2016
Here is a rookie question if ever there was one. I am considering venturing into the world of Smartphone ownership, and in my research I discovered that the phone I wanted to buy takes only a MICRO SIM. I'm old school when it comes to technology and to date had only known of the standard SIM card size.

Are MICRO SIM cards readily available in Spain? How about in the US? I'm hoping this new toy will be fully international (I'm buying it in India).

The phone will be unlocked, of course, but this SIM question has me scratching my head...

Thanks in advance for the forthcoming expertise!

~ Nancy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I went into Orange in Logrono to get my Spanish sim...they only had the larger ones...and I needed a mini....so they whipped out this fancy cutting tool and cut the big one down to a mini size.

Thanks, Lise! Did you get the sense that they normally have the MICRO SIM, but perhaps just not then? Or is cutting the standard SIM the way it's done in Spain?

I remember that PIN limitation...I ended up writing my PIN on the SIM card so I'd always know where it was!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Or is cutting the standard SIM the way it's done in Spain?
Initially, stores had a supply of the larger SIM, so cut them down. Now they stock both. As the larger SIM disappears as the original chip in a phone, they will disappear just like the 5 1/4" floppy disk did.

You can change the setting in your phone for the password. I found it very annoying to enter the password, so removing that protection is the first thing I do when I get a chip. Ask the clerk for help if you do not know how. If your phone is not password protected, however, everything on it is exposed if you lose it!

The last two SIMS I've bought (One in Germany one in Italy) have been both full size and micro.

What that means is the card had a cutout. You could pop out either the full size or the smaller size.

Depending on your phone password and PIN are two different things. The PIN is tied to your SIM. Your phone can have a password. It's possible to have both set up. You can even encrypt Android phones and have a second password. That could mean entering a SIM pin. Then two passwords.

1. Arrive in Spain.
2. Go to the phone store (most communities larger than a village have at least one).
3. Show them your phone.
4. Tell them (using words and/or gestures) that you need a SIM card for Spain.
5. Let them work their magic (they'll put the right SIM into your phone).
6. Save your old SIM card so you can put it back into your phone when you leave Spain.
7. Write your new PIN down somewhere obvious.
8. Ignore all the "Welcome, New Phone Customer! " texts you'll get, in Spanish, from your "new" phone company.
9. Start walking.
10. Use your phone mainly for taking pictures, for which you don't need a SIM card!!

I think that's how it works.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here is a rookie question if ever there was one. I am considering venturing into the world of Smartphone ownership, and in my research I discovered that the phone I wanted to buy takes only a MICRO SIM. I'm old school when it comes to technology and to date had only known of the standard SIM card size.

Are MICRO SIM cards readily available in Spain? How about in the US? I'm hoping this new toy will be fully international (I'm buying it in India).

The phone will be unlocked, of course, but this SIM question has me scratching my head...

Thanks in advance for the forthcoming expertise!

~ Nancy
Greetings, prior to leaving the U.S. I had my I phone 5 unlocked. Upon arrival in Spain went to a Moviestar phone store and had a micro sim installed (phone and data) around € 50.00. Worked great throughout the entire trip, had no problem with access to Internet, toward the end, (after 30 days) had to recharge with € 5.00 for additional usage.

Most phone shops around the world have SIM card cutters, even in Spain, micro-SIM cards are readily available across the USA and all GSM carriers have all three sizes on hand or they can cut them to size.

Last edited:
I believe the iPhone 5 takes a Nano Sim, not a Micro Sim. The Nano is really tiny. I've seen claims on the 'net of people cutting down a larger SIM to nano size, but I gather there is not much room for error. Cutting a larger SIM to micro size is a lot easier, and is done frequently in stores.

Karl

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I believe the iPhone 5 takes a Nano Sim, not a Micro Sim. The Nano is really tiny. I've seen claims on the 'net of people cutting down a larger SIM to nano size, but I gather there is not much room for error. Cutting a larger SIM to micro size is a lot easier, and is done frequently in stores.

Karl

The iPhone 5 does take the"nano" SIM. It is not a problem to cut and I have done it many times. It is necessary to have the cutter however. They are available on the internet very cheaply and you could get one before you go and then discard it after use..

I still have a Nano SIM with 13 euro credit on it if anyone can use it (free). I posted this in another thread.
PM me if you can use it.

The iPhone 5 does take the"nano" SIM. It is not a problem to cut and I have done it many times. It is necessary to have the cutter however. They are available on the internet very cheaply and you could get one before you go and then discard it after use..

I still have a Nano SIM with 13 euro credit on it if anyone can use it (free). I posted this in another thread.
PM me if you can use it.
OK, my mistake, in any case, I was able to get my I phone up and running using the nano sim issued at the moviestar store.

OK, my mistake, in any case, I was able to get my I phone up and running using the nano sim issued at the moviestar store.

I am sure that many of the Spanish phone stores would have the ability to cut the Sims to size.....but I have found in the past that it is hit and miss. There are more and more iPhone5 phones around so I am sure the need to have a SIM to fit them is more needed now.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks everyone! I bought the Samsung Galaxy Trend, and the shopkeeper cut the SIM no problem, so now I know how it's done. I've always used an old fashioned phone on the Camino - the kind that doesn't even take photos (remember those?) - but I need to be able to keep up with business emails while on the trail now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.