• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Microwave Tortilla Maker

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I know that it sounds like sacrilege, but it is so easy to make a tortilla in this microwave tortilla maker! And other than the fact that it doesn't brown, the taste is perfect. I have made plenty of tortillas the traditional way with tons of olive oil, skillets, several bowls and a colander. I can quickly make a tortilla for one or two people in this microwave tortilla maker.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No! Sacrilege. The recipe that I use, which I reckon is just about perfect

1 x coarsely sliced red onions.
2 x medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
Lots of olive oil - about two cups. Ingredients need to swim in it. You can reuse it, the Spanish do.
6 eggs, at room temperature and beaten in a bowl (size big enough to add other ingredients - see method) with a pinch of salt.

Pour the olive oil into a non-stick pan. Heat gently until moderate - not too hot. Add the onion and cook until transparent but not yet coloured. Add the potatoes and simmer gently in the oil until almost done. Time? - depends a bit on the potatoes and how thin they are sliced - for me about 15 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the almost cooked potatoes and onions and add them to the bowl in which you have the beaten eggs. Let it sit for about five minutes, so that the hot potatoes meld with and partially cook the egg.

Tip the olive oil out of the pan, turn up the heat to medium hot, then add the egg mixture to the hot pan. Cook until you think the bottom half is set and lightly browned - should be about 5 minutes (you can test by sliding a spatula carefully under and peeking). Slide the cooked mixture out of the pan into a plate (larger than the pan). Turn the empty pan upside down onto the plate, and flip the pan and plate, so the mixture drops upside down into the pan. Cook the other side.

Yum!

Lots of olive oil - about two cups. Ingredients need to swim in it. You can reuse it, the Spanish do.
6 eggs, at room temperature and beaten in a bowl (size big enough to add other ingredients - see method) with a pinch of salt.

Pour the olive oil into a non-stick pan. Heat gently until moderate - not too hot. Add the onion and cook until transparent but not yet coloured. Add the potatoes and simmer gently in the oil until almost done. Time? - depends a bit on the potatoes and how thin they are sliced - for me about 15 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the almost cooked potatoes and onions and add them to the bowl in which you have the beaten eggs. Let it sit for about five minutes, so that the hot potatoes meld with and partially cook the egg.

Tip the olive oil out of the pan, turn up the heat to medium hot, then add the egg mixture to the hot pan. Cook until you think the bottom half is set and lightly browned - should be about 5 minutes (you can test by sliding a spatula carefully under and peeking). Slide the cooked mixture out of the pan into a plate (larger than the pan). Turn the empty pan upside down onto the plate, and flip the pan and plate, so the mixture drops upside down into the pan. Cook the other side.

Yum!
Believe me, I was doubtful, but it's so nice to be able to make a tortilla in less than 15 minutes without using liters of oil! I have made many the traditional way, though I use a colander and not a slotted spoon. I've made about 3-4 this way, and every time they are perfect.
When I want to make a larger tortilla I will use the stove top, but for a quick fix? This thing is awesome!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Yum!

Very nearly became a heathen and contemplated the microwave! BUT my Guardian Angel came to the rescue and made me read your recipe! There is really no comparison! I didn't know the bit about reusing the oil and the large amount of eggs. I will now stock up and there's gonna be fire, flame and smoke in the ole kitchen afore long but what the hell, YUM!

:) :) :

Many thanks and Buen Camino!

The malingerer.

12 minutes in the microwave?

I suppose you could always finish it off by browning on both sides in a skillet

🍳;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Trecile, Sorry, I didn't see your ingredients, tho Amazon explained a lot about the use of the intriguing micro-container. I'm tempted, so please could you pm me perhaps, or redirect me to your post again?
Gracias, and my love to you all in Oregon north and south (Ashland of my Shakespearean teenage addiction!).

Yum!
Mine is almost identical Kanga. Except I used always brown onions, and I cook my potatoes in water, not oil. The whole thing uses less than a tbsp of oil.
Last night I chopped up a chilli and added when frying the onions.

A Galician friend tells me the eggs are simply to hold the other ingredients together so you might be happy to use fewer that 6 especially if, like us, you cannot always get lots of eggs at the moment

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
12 minutes in the microwave?

I suppose you could always finish it off by browning on both sides in a skillet

🍳;)
The first time I used it I did brown it in the skillet, but then I tried it without browning and the taste was just as good.

I have also tried José Andrés potato chip tortilla recipe, which was a huge disappointment. 😥
But his video is entertaining.

The first time I used it I did brown it in the skillet, but then I tried it without browning and the taste was just as good.

I have also tried José Andrés potato chip tortilla recipe, which was a huge disappointment. 😥
But his video is entertaining.
There's no doubting the man's passion, nor his courage - 100,000 seething Abuelas are going to be hunting him down!

I know that it sounds like sacrilege, but it is so easy to make a tortilla in this microwave tortilla maker! And other than the fact that it doesn't brown, the taste is perfect. I have made plenty of tortillas the traditional way with tons of olive oil, skillets, several bowls and a colander. I can quickly make a tortilla for one or two people in this microwave tortilla maker.

Hi Trecile....I’m here to defend your honor 😉 as I also purchased this microwave Lékué and I absolutely love it and yes there is always nothing better than the real thing but this comes pretty close especially if you’re in a hurry and don’t have the time to make the original recipe. I flip mine out on a baking sheet after it’s cooked and just put it under the broiler for a few seconds to brown it a little.....Yummmm! 😋

Attachments

• DBA65F3C-03DC-46A3-9048-D561E3E49216.jpeg
    DBA65F3C-03DC-46A3-9048-D561E3E49216.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 4D43A95B-ABB5-4DD4-93B6-D5001DB17C86.jpeg
    4D43A95B-ABB5-4DD4-93B6-D5001DB17C86.jpeg
    701 KB · Views: 24
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I like my system with my current recipe and the two pans that slot together for easy flipping, but this does look intriguing.

I like my system with my current recipe and the two pans that slot together for easy flipping, but this does look intriguing.
I also have the two Cuisinart pans that fit together, which are wonderful for flipping, but for a quick and easy tortilla with less mess, this works great.
You probably don't even need the special tortilla maker. I think any shallow round microwave dish would work. You do need a substantial cover for cooking, not just a piece of cling wrap.

Here's the recipe
Ingredients
115 gr Onion sliced
300 gr Potato peeled and sliced
3 eggs
30 ml/3 tbsp olive oil divided
20 ml/2 tbsp water
20 ml/2 tbsp milk
salt

Cooking times are on High in a 800 Watt microwave. Adjust time or power level for different wattage. For example my microwave is 1100 Watts, so I cook at either 70% or 80% power

Place the onion, water and 10 ml/1 tbsp oil in cooker. Close and cook for 3 minutes.
Add sliced potatoes and 20 ml/2 tbsp oil (I only use 1 tbsp for this step) stir, close and cook for 5 minutes.
Beat eggs and milk together. I add 1/2 tsp salt at this step.
Add egg mixture to onions and potatoes, stir.
Close and cook for 3 minutes, then flip and cook one additional minute.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.