• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mid- April, still not sure of route.

Gregbart

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning.
Hi all.. Greg here,
I have April 15th through may 25th (2024) set aside for my Camino. This is my first Camino, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to swing another. If a second one happens, it will be quite a few years down the road.

I'm planning on the Frances. But, open to other suggestions. If you were to only do one Camino, would the Frances be your choice? Or, would you choose another route.

FYI, I am a fairly fit 57yo male, retired soldier and law enforcement. I'll be solo.

Great forum, really enjoy it.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you start on April 15 from SJPP, you would avoid the May crowds in SJPP. I see that Easter 2024 is very early - March 31, so you would miss the Easter crowds in other sections, and many of the albergues will have opened for the early Easter pilgrims. Win-win.

All in all, I think that a mid-April 2024 start on the Camino Frances is an ideal plan for a first-timer.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Agree entirely; to make best use of a 40-day window - especially at that time of year, the Frances makes a great deal of sense. Don’t feel compelled to start in St Jean. Roncesvalles would be traditional for Spanish pilgrims and Pamplona is a popular start also. Leave time for a couple of days in Santiago.

Your dates are nearly identical to the same dates I have walked and ended three of my Caminos; twice from SJPdP and once on the Norte. I had remarkably good weather overall, and enjoyed the freshness of starting out in early spring.
My vote is for walking the Frances as a first Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have walked the Frances, Norte, Primitivo, and the Portugese and there is ONLY ONE Camino--The Frances!! The others are hikes.

Was also in Military and we never walked 20+miles a day , day after day, for a month! It can wear you down...but it is all in your head. First three days are the worst. Piece of cake afterwards.

BTW .... Spanish Soldiers claim that their punishment similar to our Article 15 is choice of drop in rank; loss of pay for a few months; walk the Camino from Roncevalles to Santiago with FULL field pack and rifle with no staying under roof at nights.

If not Spanish, start the Frances in FRANCE! Nice start over the hill where Napoleons troops walked.

Hi Greg!
I will be doing my first Camino that same time. I picked the Francés because there is so much infrastructure. Not sure where I will start… I will be visiting nieces in southern France and nephews in Pamplona, so I will probably start from Pamplona. If my feet and knees are not feeling good it may be León, or even Sarria. Maybe I will see you on the trail!
Buen camino,
Karla

I'm planning on the Frances. But, open to other suggestions. If you were to only do one Camino, would the Frances be your choice? Or, would you choose another route.

I would tell you that because of the infrastructure and the ease of transition to learning and feeling your way on the camino and maybe because there are more pilgrims the CF is the way to go.
Have walked the Frances, Norte, Primitivo, and the Portugese and there is ONLY ONE Camino--The Frances!! The others are hikes.
If you do not choose the CF I could not disagree more strongly regarding this above statement. I have walked all the caminos listed, save the primitivo and have walked the Via De La Plata and from Le Puy to Santiago. What is true is that there are as many reasons to walk as there are people. A pilgrim can find just as much satisfaction, strength, love, companionship, joy and pain on any camino. Memories abound for me from my first Camino on the CF. There are just as many strong and profound memories from hearing 4 different pilgrims singing hymns like angels in a small chapel somewhere in the middle of France, to profound days of solitude and tears and joy and my father entered my heart on the Via De La Plata, to the hysterical laughter a German Pilgrim and I experienced in a tiny little albergue on the Norte where it was colder in our 2 bunk bed room, where we could see our breath, than it was outside.
The only advice that I can give you regarding which is the "best" camino is that pilgrimage starts from within and radiates out through your body to everything your hands and feet touch to the energy from the earth, wind and of course other pilgrims bring to you.
I have a feeling you already know which camino is right for you. Get out of your head and into your heart and spirit. You will never go wrong this way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all.. Greg here,
I have April 15th through may 25th (2024) set aside for my Camino. This is my first Camino, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to swing another. If a second one happens, it will be quite a few years down the road.

FYI, I am a fairly fit 57yo male, retired soldier and law enforcement. I'll be solo.

Great forum, really enjoy it.
Hi Greg, I think you want to start with the classic route, the Camino France.

And That’s a very similar time that I did my Camino France. The weather over the Pyrenees can go either way at that time of year, pay attention to it a day or two before you start to see if you have to alter routes or starting points.

I’m a similar age, and also in pretty good shape, but I wasn’t used to walking with carrying a pack and I got some shin splints or muscle injuries in my lower legs just a few days out. Almost ruined my camino. Take it slow to start with, and If you’re not a regular hiker used to carrying packs make sure you do lots of stretches the first week or two.

Last edited:
Ok, so your dates are also nearly identical to mine on the Norte in April/May 2022. This year we had some rain in April but May was awesome. Next year may be different. I just love the coast... like if you like to see ocean cliffs and blue skies, and hang out on the beach with hundreds of children playing soccer (I know, I'm American) and meet people who maybe want something different from the standard (Do the Frances first crowd) then the Norte is a viable option. Oh, but it's harder and more expensive.

Last edited:
You picked great days, Greg. Even though there are some disagreements above, I agree with almost all that previous commentators have said. I have a somewhat similar background to you and Sin Loi (so sorry, GI?) (Army, LE) but am a generation older. You will find the del Norte a little challenging but spectacularly beautiful. You will find the Frances much easier but very charming, comfortable, "traditional" and less expensive. For your first Camino I lean 55/45 in favor of recommending the Frances. But whatever your resources, responsibilities and time commitments I doubt it would be your last Camino. Also, you won't be walking solo for very long before you make fast friends for life -- Amigos del Camino. Buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back