• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mid/Low Hiking Boots

Sonja Graser

Time of past OR future Camino
I want to do it for my 40th!
Hi all
I am a little stuck with my footwear choosing - high or low hiking shoes....

I know there are a lot of threads, forums and blogs on footwear, but somehow hearing from people with experience will help. I won't be getting trainers or sandals as it doesn't really work this side of the world for me for hiking. I am an avid hiker from South Africa and have only ever had high tops or mid high boots. Our terrain is more rugged, I don't have weak ankles.

My current shoes need an upgrade- planning on breaking them in on a 5 day hike with a heavy pack along with many more day hikes. Don't really just want to buy a pair of shoes suited only for the Camino.

The shoe in mind is Women's Chameleon 7 - waterproof (mesh breathable, nice soles and comfy for me - the same brand I have worn for the last 10 years and this particular shoe fits really well for me). The weight between the two is so minimal. The question is Mid/Low Hiking Boots: Pic of shoes

I am planing on doing only 14-16 days in September 2020, not the full route. More likely the Primitivo route. So is the high top overkill, or should I just get what works for me here at home and it should be fine for the Camino? That way it will be well worn in :)

Thanks in advance.

Link from the shoe if you are interested to see the details:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wear what works for you. You do seem to have a pretty good idea already.

Personally I would opt for the mid-ones but I have weak ankles.

If the fit is the same, either should do for that length of walk. Only issue may be that waterproof footwear that time of the year might make for very (uncomfortably) hot feet.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If the fit is the same, either should do for that length of walk. Only issue may be that waterproof footwear that time of the year might make for very (uncomfortably) hot feet.
Thanks Jozero. Mmh didn't think of that!! I don't recall having hot and sweaty feet with boots before. Now that puts a spanner in my plan. ;)

I think the only way to really discover which ones are best, is to walk.

I've always preferred boots with ankle support versus lower ones, and then people tried to convince me to go for the lower ones (because they are more lightweight).

When my old boots capsized, I caved - but I was not happy at all. The low boots didn't give me any support and I literally felt "less strong" while standing on the ground.

Comfort is an important thing. What that means, only you know.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think the only way to really discover which ones are best, is to walk.

I've always preferred boots with ankle support versus lower ones, and then people tried to convince me to go for the lower ones (because they are more lightweight).

When my old boots capsized, I caved - but I was not happy at all. The low boots didn't give me any support and I literally felt "less strong" while standing on the ground.

Comfort is an important thing. What that means, only you know.
Thanks so much for the valuable feedback - Thats what I am worried about, buying the low ones and regretting it. My budget doesn't allow for both! LOL. So far I am leaning more towards the mid boots because it works well in my home terrain, then I get to wear them and not buy another pair of shoes in the future :) They are the same model of shoes- just slightly more in weight, so a a few extra grams is ok for me.

Thanks so much for the valuable feedback - Thats what I am worried about, buying the low ones and regretting it. My budget doesn't allow for both! LOL. So far I am leaning more towards the mid boots because it works well in my home terrain, then I get to wear them and not buy another pair of shoes in the future :) They are the same model of shoes- just slightly more in weight, so a a few extra grams is ok for me.

People worry too much IMHO about some extra weight for their pack and shoes ( the Camino weight police ). Comfort is much more important.

Wear what works for you. You do seem to have a pretty good idea already.

Personally I would opt for the mid-ones but I have weak ankles.
Thanks so much for your feedback. HAHA I will keep an eye out for the weight police ;) I am steering towards the mid-ones just so I can use them more at home for other hikes.

Agree. You're going to be fine. In my experience, as you walk you will discover what items you really need and which ones you don't - you might just decide to drop some weight elsewhere. My entire Camino was a re-arranging of my backpack.

Good luck!

Agree. You're going to be fine. In my experience, as you walk you will discover what items you really need and which ones you don't - you might just decide to drop some weight elsewhere. My entire Camino was a re-arranging of my backpack.

Good luck!
Thanks Gwaihir.

Hi all

I know there are a lot of threads, forums and blogs on footwear, but somehow hearing from people with experience will help. I won't be getting trainers or sandals as it doesn't really work this side of the world for me for hiking. I am an avid hiker from South Africa and have only ever had high tops or mid high boots. Our terrain is more rugged, I don't have weak ankles.

My current shoes need an upgrade- planning on breaking them in on a 5 day hike with a heavy pack along with many more day hikes. Don't really just want to buy a pair of shoes suited only for the Camino.

The shoe in mind is Women's Chameleon 7 - waterproof (mesh breathable, nice soles and comfy for me - the same brand I have worn for the last 10 years and this particular shoe fits really well for me). The weight between the two is so minimal. The question is Mid/Low Hiking Boots: Pic of shoes

I am planing on doing only 14-16 days in September 2020, not the full route. More likely the Primitivo route. So is the high top overkill, or should I just get what works for me here at home and it should be fine for the Camino? That way it will be well worn in :)

Thanks in advance.

Hola Sonja!
Just back from the Primitivo (you are going to LOVE it!!) with my sister. She wore lows and I wore mids and we both did fine (better than fine...neither one of us had blisters, foot issues...) So, it really is a matter of which ones you feel more comfortable in. We walked the Hospitales route (which I highly recommend if the weather permits..)and I saw all kind of footwear on the other peregrinos. Enjoy y Buen Camino!
Ultreia, elle ❤

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all

Thanks in advance.

I love my Merrill Siren. Waterproof, breathable, lightweight, comfortable and almost pretty good looking.

Hi all

Thanks in advance.

Hi all

Thanks in advance.

I am a Merrell girl myself. I have the ankle boots you mention and heat was not a problem for me, I did stop and take my shoes off when I rested, no blisters. I have now switched to Moab's high boots. I like the ankle support.

You know what you like so get what you know works for you.

Thanks so much for your feedback. HAHA I will keep an eye out for the weight police ;) I am steering towards the mid-ones just so I can use them more at home for other hikes.
I would say wear what you are used to and can use most, rather than just for the Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
IMHP, and speaking for just myself, high cut boots would be overkill and found that any extra support a higher cut boot would give was not necessary. There may be moments when it would be nice to have, but the weight and loss of flexibility in a high cut is not desirable.

This a personal view, but I chose the mid boot because it gives more lacing options that can be used to tailor fit, reduce movement, and therefor blisters. I went for waterproof, walked in September, but offset any heat issues with merino fusion socks which I changed mid-walk each day. Result? No blisters, comfy feet, waterproof if needed. As an older walker, I also appreciated the additional protection for my ankles on steep downhill sections. This may be my own bias of course - but I did seem to see more people in low profile shoes/trainers with blisters, than people in boots. Good luck choosing... and using your footwear. 👍😊

Hola Sonja!
Just back from the Primitivo (you are going to LOVE it!!) with my sister. She wore lows and I wore mids and we both did fine (better than fine...neither one of us had blisters, foot issues...) So, it really is a matter of which ones you feel more comfortable in. We walked the Hospitales route (which I highly recommend if the weather permits..)and I saw all kind of footwear on the other peregrinos. Enjoy y Buen Camino!
Ultreia, elle ❤
Wow thanks so much for the feedback and route info!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am a Merrell girl myself. I have the ankle boots you mention and heat was not a problem for me, I did stop and take my shoes off when I rested, no blisters. I have now switched to Moab's high boots. I like the ankle support.

You know what you like so get what you know works for you.
Thanks so much!! Awesome feedback

IMHP, and speaking for just myself, high cut boots would be overkill and found that any extra support a higher cut boot would give was not necessary. There may be moments when it would be nice to have, but the weight and loss of flexibility in a high cut is not desirable.
Great, thanks for the feedback!

This a personal view, but I chose the mid boot because it gives more lacing options that can be used to tailor fit, reduce movement, and therefor blisters. I went for waterproof, walked in September, but offset any heat issues with merino fusion socks which I changed mid-walk each day. Result? No blisters, comfy feet, waterproof if needed. As an older walker, I also appreciated the additional protection for my ankles on steep downhill sections. This may be my own bias of course - but I did seem to see more people in low profile shoes/trainers with blisters, than people in boots. Good luck choosing... and using your footwear. 👍😊
Wow, this is great advice! Will totally do a sock change. The more I am going towards the mid boots, just more useable for other hikes too and the weight between the mid and shoe is sooooo little. The extra support and also sand/spiky twigs getting g into your shoe makes it one less worth. Thanks so much!!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.