• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mid-Sept Start Date......Thoughts Please

BiggBlue

Robin
Time of past OR future Camino
17 Frances 18 Portuguese,
19 Primitivo 22 Norte
I have like so many others this year had to postpone my Camino, which was to be the VdlP. I rescheduled to begin on Sept 17th and have been watching the COVID related news with a watchmakers eye.

The news coming to the UK was that the increase in cases were in the north and south-east predominantly. Though cases were still being reported in Seville as well. More recently I have read there is now a decline in cases being observed. However, I appreciate this is a moving target which is hard to predict. My puzzle to ponder is as the VdlP is a quieter and initially more remote Camino, is it likely that much of the Camino infrastructure - albergues, cafes, hostals ect... be closed. Plus is it likely to be pilgrim free too. I ask because much as I enjoy walking on my own I delight in the companionship of cafes and albergues, the meeting of new friends who you bump into again and again.

I have to make a decision by the 11th Sept and would appreciate and information about the current situation, and the wisdom of (at least starting - with the option to return to the UK to self-isolate should the need arise)

Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have like so many others this year had to postpone my Camino, which was to be the VdlP. I rescheduled to begin on Sept 17th and have been watching the COVID related news with a watchmakers eye.

The news coming to the UK was that the increase in cases were in the north and south-east predominantly. Though cases were still being reported in Seville as well. More recently I have read there is now a decline in cases being observed. However, I appreciate this is a moving target which is hard to predict. My puzzle to ponder is as the VdlP is a quieter and initially more remote Camino, is it likely that much of the Camino infrastructure - albergues, cafes, hostals ect... be closed. Plus is it likely to be pilgrim free too. I ask because much as I enjoy walking on my own I delight in the companionship of cafes and albergues, the meeting of new friends who you bump into again and again.

I have to make a decision by the 11th Sept and would appreciate and information about the current situation, and the wisdom of (at least starting - with the option to return to the UK to self-isolate should the need arise)

Thanks
Hi Bigg Blue
If you look up Forum De La Plata, which I have just discovered,you will find up to date information on accomodation which is currently open on this Camino.
It is not linked to the Camino de Santiago forum.
Hope this helps you decide.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Please reconsider as things are getting out of control again in Spain. I believe if you check Ivar’s updates he recommends waiting. Think of the risks to others even if you are willing to take the risk yourself. Especially if you have an asymptotic infection.

Thanks

Thanks

Keep in mind that if you get sick from Covid 19, you will not be able to travel back, so you will have to stay 15 days in quarantine at your expense, and hoping to get better in that time or you have to be hospitalise in Spain. if you think you can cope with all that, is up to you. Ultreia

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
you will find up to date information on accomodation which is currently open on this Camino.

Here is a link to the list.

This is a good resource, but note that the date of the list is June 27. That seems like several lifetimes ago, and I can’t see that there has been any update, but maybe I’m wrong about that. Spain’s situation has definitely changed since then, so I think you are going to have to make sure about what’s open on a daily basis as you walk.

Please reconsider as things are getting out of control again in Spain. I believe if you check Ivar’s updates he recommends waiting. Think of the risks to others even if you are willing to take the risk yourself. Especially if you have an asymptotic infection.
I agree that caution is required, plus I have a personal responsibility to others, which is my first consideration
when it comes to embarking on this or any Camino. My doctor friends tell me it is in crowded spaces (offices, public transport, public events`) which on the Camino are particularly easy to avoid and if one sleeps in isolation then the risk is reduced significantly. However as things stand I think it is more likely I will postpone this trip.

This is a good resource, but note that the date of the list is June 27. That seems like several lifetimes ago, and I can’t see that there has been any update, but maybe I’m wrong about that. Spain’s situation has definitely changed since then, so I think you are going to have to make sure about what’s open on a daily basis as you walk.
Thanks. I think it is changing on a daily basis and Albergues too are closing and opening in a slightly haphazard way. My main concern is after a long day walking it will be frustrating to discover there is nowhere to stay. ~got my thinking hat on and scratching my chin in contemplation. But at the moment I think another postponement is running at 80% probability.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have checked the online booking for
SEVILLE:
Albergue Triana, Inés. Though its website says it is open all year, any dates I tried to book - they say no availability. I even tried dates later in the year and got the same response, so I doubt they are at 100% capacity every day. My guess they are closed.

I was planning to drive down to Salamanca ( just to decrease the risk of plane travel ) from the U K in mid September , park my car somewhere and then catch the bus ( still a risk i know ) down to Seville . I am having trouble finding a hotel in Salamanca where i can park my car for longer than my nights stay . So far i have contacted 3 hotels , one tell me they are closed untill at least June 2021 :eek: Wow , will they ever open again ?
The second hotel tells me they will allow parking but at 15 Euros per night and the 3 rd has not yet replied .

I am now planning to leave around 4th October in the hope that maybe there will be more info on open auberges along the camino . I have a tent but am loathed to drag it along if i dont really need to .

Any up to date info would be most helpful .

Regards.....John

I was planning to drive down to Salamanca ( just to decrease the risk of plane travel ) from the U K in mid September , park my car somewhere and then catch the bus ( still a risk i know ) down to Seville . I am having trouble finding a hotel in Salamanca where i can park my car for longer than my nights stay . So far i have contacted 3 hotels , one tell me they are closed untill at least June 2021 :eek: Wow , will they ever open again ?
The second hotel tells me they will allow parking but at 15 Euros per night and the 3 rd has not yet replied .

I am now planning to leave around 4th October in the hope that maybe there will be more info on open auberges along the camino . I have a tent but am loathed to drag it along if i dont really need to .

Any up to date info would be most helpful .

Regards.....John
John
I have looked at all the options and there is no way I can realistically see how it will be practical. There will be numerous challenges and I suspect it will be memorable for all the wrong reasons.
I don't give up easily but common sense has made me realise best to postpone!! ☹️

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At the moment i am wondering if i have to leave it another year ( i will be 77 ) will i have the health and fitness to do this camino .
We are all at risk from this evil virus wherever we are ,and on the few occasions i have walked down the local high St i have been close to more people in 20 mins than i would have been in 4 days on the Via . Am i really at more risk on the Via de la Plata that staying at home and living my normal life ?

My main concern was getting to Spain without mixing with too many people , so that is why i thought of my car .

I loath the thought of not being able to do this camino one more time and for me time is a precious commodity .

I am thinking hard about ways to reduce the risk down to an acceptable level for me and am not tied to any particular date , so i will keep digesting info from anywhere that will help .

Regards.....John

At the moment i am wondering if i have to leave it another year ( i will be 77 ) will i have the health and fitness to do this camino .
We are all at risk from this evil virus wherever we are ,and on the few occasions i have walked down the local high St i have been close to more people in 20 mins than i would have been in 4 days on the Via . Am i really at more risk on the Via de la Plata that staying at home and living my normal life ?

My main concern was getting to Spain without mixing with too many people , so that is why i thought of my car .

I loath the thought of not being able to do this camino one more time and for me time is a precious commodity .

I am thinking hard about ways to reduce the risk down to an acceptable level for me and am not tied to any particular date , so i will keep digesting info from anywhere that will help .

Regards.....John

I sympathise with you and appreciate your problems. I am 82 and time conscious. To me, my time on Camino IS my normality and time off it is just a long queue in the waiting room :) I have a similar problem in that taking all precautions whilst in Spain is one thing, its the getting there and back with safety that becomes the real issue. I do not own a car and therefore am dependent on public transport, ferries, flights et al. This to me, negates all my consideration for others whilst IN Spain as I am placing myself and others at risk trying to get to and fro. I have placed my next Camino on hold till early next year when I will consider everything all over again!

Walk soft, stay safe and as ever, Vaya con Dios.

Samarkand.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.