• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mid September 2012

Hi all,

I see many posts from people who are starting their camino in early September but only a few that are starting in mid or late September. I arrive in Bilbao on September 13th and plan on starting from Roncevalles or Orisson on either the 14th or 15th (depending on bus/train/van/taxi schedules). Unfortunately I can only walk for 15 days so I hope to end in Burgos. It will be my first camino and I am getting very excited!

So might I run in to any of you along the way? :)

Buen Camino,

Carolann from Philly

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
willysmom said:
I see many posts from people who are starting their camino in early September but only a few that are starting in mid or late September.[...] So might I run in to any of you along the way? :)
Very likely, and whoever is on the same path will be looking out for you. As soon as you have your dates, register your name and starting location on the Forum Calendar (at the bottom of this page under "Camino de Santiago Calendar")
Ultreya :D

Hi Carolann from Philly!
I will be flying into Paris on Sept. 12 and I'll be on my way from SJPdP to Orisson on Sept. 14. Hope to see you on the way.

Ellen

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
willysmom said:
Hi all,

I see many posts from people who are starting their camino in early September but only a few that are starting in mid or late September. I arrive in Bilbao on September 13th and plan on starting from Roncevalles or Orisson on either the 14th or 15th (depending on bus/train/van/taxi schedules). Unfortunately I can only walk for 15 days so I hope to end in Burgos. It will be my first camino and I am getting very excited!

So might I run in to any of you along the way? :)

Buen Camino,

Carolann from Philly

I'm starting at SJPdP on the 14th so we might meet :D. I'm planing to walk all the way to Finisterre and Muxia and then visit Vigo.. Going back home via Lisbon. Agnes

camelle said:
Hi Carolann from Philly!
I will be flying into Paris on Sept. 12 and I'll be on my way from SJPdP to Orisson on Sept. 14. Hope to see you on the way.

Ellen

Hi Ellen, I'm flying to Paris on the 10th and then to Toulouse to visit my friend. I'll be on the way SJPdP on the 13th and planning to start the following day. See you on the way :D

Looking forward to meeting everyone! I am trying to figure out how to get from Bilbao to Roncevalles. It looks like I might be starting from roncevalles on the 14th or 15th depending on connections.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
willysmom said:
Looking forward to meeting everyone! I am trying to figure out how to get from Bilbao to Roncevalles. It looks like I might be starting from roncevalles on the 14th or 15th depending on connections.

Hi Carolann, love your quote in the signature. :D See you on the route!

This is what I found at:

http://www.autobusesdenavarra.com

For September 13, 2012 BILBAO TO RONCESVALLES TWO BUSSES -different companies

Servicios del Transporte Público Regional Interurbano de la Comunidad Foral de Navarra

Empresas Consulta de Rutas e Itinerarios
Horario
ORIGEN H. SALIDA DESTINO H. LLEGADA EMPRESA
Bilbao 15:30 Pamplona Estación de autobuses 17:30 LA BURUNDESA

Pamplona
Estación de autobuses
18:00 Roncesvalles 19:10 ATIVAR, S.L. 6.00 €

Todos los derechos reservados.

Just booked my airline tickets for September! :D Wow. I'm super excited.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
camelle said:
Hi Carolann from Philly!

Ellen

How are you getting from Paris to SJPTP? I will be flying in to Paris on the 13th hopefully, and I would like to travel from Paris to SJPTP on the 15th so that I can start the walk hopefully on the 16th! (New Moon!) Anybody have the easiest travel plan down from Paris to the start of the trail?

Hi Maxthegirl:
I have to transfer from Charles de Gaulle to Montparnasse station from where I will take the TGV to Byonne. I plan on spending the night there and take the train the next morning to SJPdP.
My first day on the Way will be Sept. 14th.

Buen Camino!

Ellen

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks, Ellen!

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but did you book your train tickets in advance? How did you figure out that you need to make all those transfers? Thanks again!
Buen Camino! (I can't believe I'm finally doing this!)

Maxthegirl,

Welcome to the Forum!

There are NO non-stop trains from Paris to SJPdP . The route is generally a SNCF TGV (Tres Grand Express) train from the Paris Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and then a regional TER line 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP. You can see schedules up to 3 months in advance at this SNCF (French Nationl Rail Road ) link. http://www.voyages-sncf.com/. You NEED a reservation for any TGV train and It is cheaper to book the ticket well in advance. You can book both tickets at the same time on-line. However you can also book everything with a live clerk at the station if you wish. If you take the mid morning train from Paris you can be in SJPdP by late afternoon. However, if you wish you can take a regular overnight train from Paris Gare Austerlitz to Bayonne to connect with an early morning TER train to SJPdP.

From 23 July 2012 to 8 December the basic TER departure schedule leaves Bayonne at the following times.
Bayonne/Baiona
07.25/lundi, NON fetes/Monday, NOT holidays/du 27 août, aussi le 8 nov/from 27 August also 8 Nov
07.54/mardi a vendredi/Tuesday to Friday, NOT holidays/du 28 août, ne circule pas le 8 nov/ from 28 August NOT 8 Nov
07.54/lundi a vendredi, NON fetes/Monday to Friday, NOT holidays/jusqu’au 24 août/ until 24 August
09.41/samedi, dimanche, et fetes,/Saturday, Sunday and holidays
11.41/lundi a vendredi, NON fetes/Monday to Friday, NOT holidays
13.47/samedi, dimanche, et fetes/Saturday, Sunday and holidays/jusqu’au 26 août/until 26 August
14.07 samedi, dimanche, et fetes/Saturday, Sunday and holidays/partir du 1er sept./starting 1 Sept.
15.25/dimanche et fetes/Sunday and holidays/jusqu’au 26 août/until 26 August
15.37/lundi a vendredi, NON fetes/Monday to Friday, NOT holidays/partir du 27 août/from 27 August
15.37/lundi a samedi, NON fetes/Monday to Saturday, NOT holidays/jusqu’au 25 août/until 25 August
15.47/samedi, dimanche, et fetes/Saturday, Sunday and holidays/partir du 1er sept./starting 1 Sept.
18.41/lundi a vendredi, NON fetes/Monday to Friday, NOT holidays/partir du 27 août/from 27 August
19.36/tous les jours et fetes/every day and holidays/jusqu’au 26 août/until 26 August
19.36/samedi, dimanche, et fetes/Saturday, Sunday and holidays/partir du 1er sept./starting 1 Sept.
20.41/vendredi, in autocar/Friday in bus/partir du 31 août, circule aussi le 31 oct/from 31 August, also31 October

All trains do NOT go every day.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret

Thanks, Margaret!
That was super informative.
My only issue is that the website doesn't allow US purchases for those train tickets.
Do you have any idea how to handle that?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can get a train directly from CDG Terminal 2 I believe to Bayonne (early one is non stop-mid day connects in Bourdeau) I stayed overnight to recover from jetlag after transatlantic flight and the next day took the train from Bayonne to SJPdP. Buying the tickets in advance would have saved me money but I was travelling on a standby ticket across the pond.
Brigid

Hello luvvies esp those leaving mid Sept :wink:
I've booked my Express Baricoult taxi from Biarritz airport for Monday 17 September at 3.30pm going to SJPP. Love to share it with any and all! Send me a PM and hope everyone's planning, training and living are going well :)
Sabina

I have booked my TGV from Paris on the 10th and i see the train to St Jean leaves 1 minute before I arrive!! So much for synchronizing schedules. It means i have a 3 hr wait until the mid afternoon train but can't wait to get there and start walking. A week in Paris beforehand will let me acclimatise after my 28 hr flight from Melbourne Australia. Look forward to meeting some of you on the walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Normally the tgv will arrive in advance of the scheduled time. You will have enough time to catch your train.

Greetings,
Frank

Often the TER train from Bayonne to SJPdP waits for the Paris TGV to arrive and passengers' connections to be made before departing. Generally the TER leaves from a track adjacent to where the TGV arrives. Ask the TGV conductor for further information once you get close to Bayonne ie around Dax. However if the TER arrives very late and you and others miss your connection go together to the Station Master's office (Chef de Service) and show your connecting tickets. In the past when this has occurred the SNCF provided and paid for a taxi which got three other pilgrims and me to SJPdP well before the next TER train was due to depart. By the end of that taxi ride we were all new friends.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino!

Margaret

Thanks. I thought it strange that one would leave before the other:)
My preparation was not going to be for the 800km walk to Santiago, but the 100m dash to the St Jean Train.:) I was hoping to get down to Usain Bolt's time:)
See you on the trail.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everyone:
My departure is getting really close Sept. 11! I have been trying to find clues as to how to find the transfer buses at CDG to take me to Gare Montparnasse. What about signage at the airport? I am flying into Paris via Amsterdam, arriving at Terminal 2. I don't have a lot of time to get lost and am getting a little antsy. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks again for all your help and assistance!

Ellen

Ellen,

Here are some questions to help me help you to get your train.

A. What times does your flight arrive at CdG? What time train do you wish to get at Montparnasse? Do have tickets for your train leaving Paris for Bayonne? At CdG there are no transfer buses to take you directly to Gare Montparnasse but you can take the RER line regional link to inter city Paris. You get this on the lower level of the terminal. If you wish to do this I will send you a plan showing you the link/changes necessary.

B Once each morning you can take a SNCF TGV (Tres Grand Express) from CdG Paris 2 airport to Bordeaux and then connect with a TGV to Bayonne

10h16/ CHARLES DE GAULLE 2 TGV/ Arrivée à :14h38 BORDEAUX SAINT JEAN/ Numéro du train :9802
16h37/ BORDEAUX SAINT JEAN/ Arrivée à :18h31 BAYONNE/ Numéro du train :66611
18h41/ BAYONNE/ Arrivée à : 20h07 SAINT JEAN PIED DE PORT/ Numéro du train :67337

C However the route is generally a TGV train from the Paris Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and then a regional TER line 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP. Generally there are 4 TGV trains to Bayonne from Paris each day.

D If you wish you can take the regular overnight train from Paris Gare Austerlitz to Bayonne to connect with an early morning TER train to SJPdP.

22h12/ PARIS AUSTERLITZ/ Arrivée à : 08h41 BAYONNE/ Numéro du train :4053

Send me a PM if you want more info.

Bon Chemin and Buen Camino,

Margaret

Hi Margaret:
Thanks for your quick response! My flight arrives at noon at CdG. I have bought a ticket for the 2:30 TGV directly to Bayonne. Will spend the night there and continue to SJPdP the next day at 11:41. I was under the impression that there are transfer buses to Montparnasse.

Any assistance with this would be so much appreciated! Thanks again.

Ellen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Margaret:
Thanks for your quick response! My flight arrives at noon at CdG. I have bought a ticket for the 2:30 TGV directly to Bayonne. Will spend the night there and continue to SJPdP the next day at 11:41. I was under the impression that there are transfer buses to Montparnasse.

Ellen

camelle said:
Hi Margaret:

Ellen

Ellen,

There is NO DIRECT transfer to Montparnasse. You take the Air France bus to Gare de Lyon and then another Air France bus to Gare Montparnasse. See this helpful info link in English >> http://www.easycdg.com/. You can buy the ticket directly from the driver for 16.50 Euros. The Air France bus stop is marked outside the terminal. The trip will take about one hour.

Margaret

When I thought the connection was tight from Orly to Gare de Lyon, I took a taxi. It was worth the peace of mind even though I would have had plenty of time for public transportation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Margaret:
Thank you so much again. All is clear now. Will take the bus if time allows, if not, a cab.

Falcon269: Do you remember what the cab fare was, approximately? Just in case....

Thanks!

Ellen

I think it was around 35 Euro, but the distance was less than from CDG (I think).

camelle said:
Hi Margaret:
Thank you so much again. All is clear now. Will take the bus if time allows, if not, a cab.

Falcon269: Do you remember what the cab fare was, approximately? Just in case....

Thanks!

Ellen
falcon269 said:
I think it was around 35 Euro, but the distance was less than from CDG (I think).

Ellen,

This is the CdG taxi to Paris info from the web link mentioned above. >>http://www.easycdg.com/

"• The journey to central Paris costs between 50-60 EUR.
Increase of about 15% at night (from 19h to 7h), Sundays/bank holidays.

• 35 minutes to an hour for a trip to/from central Paris and Charles de Gaulle airport depending on traffic.
Traffic could be congested especially at peak hours, allow sufficient time to reach the airport on time.

Where to catch a taxi?

Terminal 2
2A Gate 6
2B Gate 7
2C Gate 7
2D Gate 7
2E 10 (arrival level)
2F 10 (arrival level)
2G Outside the terminal building
Gare TGV Level 5 "

Margaret

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just a small addition to the information that Margaret has provided.
The coach fare is 14 euros one way or 22 euros return. The coach is Air France Coach 4, and when you exit the arrivals lounge, look for the bus stop marked Air France 4, and do not be tempted to wait in the little waiting room directly opposite the exit door, as there are several Air France coach stops in the same location. http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/air-fran ... le-service website states that the journey takes 40 minutes, but be wary of this time as it can take double that time in rush hour (but you are not travelling in the rush hour). If unsure where to exit, look for the information desk where they speak English and are very helpful

Excellent information, thanks Camino-David! I'm packed and ready to go!

Ellen

Hiya Carolann,

I too fly 9/11 from NYC to pamplona, I get in on the 12th. Reserved a spot in Orisson 9/13 might be tight on time..... See you on the trail :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
MVB63 said:
Hiya Carolann,

I too fly 9/11 from NYC to pamplona, I get in on the 12th. Reserved a spot in Orisson 9/13 might be tight on time..... See you on the trail :)

I will be right behind you. Staying in Orisson 9/14. :mrgreen:

I land in Bilbao on Sept 11th. Will have a look at the Guggenheim Museum, designed by Canadian Frank, (this Canadian wishes he had that talent) and bus it to St. Jean. Hope to be there by the 12th or 13th. Will begin the hike the next day. My Forum Patch and my Maple Leaf flag are on my 19 lb pack.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.