• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mid vs Low Boots?

Which boot style is better?

• Low height

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Mid height

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

BShea

Time of past OR future Camino
(9/2013) Le Puy
(5/2015) CF
(5/2016) Le Puy
(5/2017) CF
(9/2017) Le Puy
(9/2019) RL Stevenson
So, apparently my feet will not be returning to their pre-Camino size. My boots that were one size larger before the Camino now feel snug after walking only one km. Time to get a new pair for my larger feet. :(

I am trying to decide between low and mid height boots for my next pair. I have always had a tendency to roll my ankles. In fact, I rolled it in November and fell on all fours, busting my right knee cap. I’m feeling paranoid about a repeat fall, so I’m wondering if mid height books might give me a little more support. I’d love to get your consensus as to whether boot height makes a difference?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I too have had difficulty, in the past, with my ankles rolling during regular walks when wearing a regular sneaker/walking shoe. Because of that I purchased a mid height pair of Lowa Renegade boots. I've been using them when training for my spring Camino with great success.

However, after walking for a 5 hour period the boots feel heavy/clumsy but that could be because I had walked continuously, no breaks and it was part of earlier training walks. From reading on the forum from those who feel mid height hiking boots are not necessary for most of the terrain on the Camino (Francis) I started second guessing my choice and was wondering if a lower cut boot would be adequate.

I had an appointment with a podiatrist to get an updated orthotic. He happens to be an avid hiker and has experience/knowledge in the area of hiking gear/footwear (has a hiking goods store). He said because the mid height boot offers support for the ankle he recommended that I stay with the light weight, mid height boot that I had. So, that's what I'm going with and why.
Hope this helps!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I wear a mid-rise Salomon boot that is lighter than some of the other shoes/boots I tried. I like a mid-rise for the security it provides for me.

I wear a mid-rise Salomon boot that is lighter than some of the other shoes/boots I tried. I like a mid-rise for the security it provides for me.
What do you mean by "security"? Ankle support or protection from scratches, etc.? If ankle support, have you had instances where you were aware you might have fallen had you been wearing a different boot?

It keeps my ankle from rolling when I'm on unstable surfaces. I know I've been on hikes where I could feel the pressure of my ankle against the boot as my foot started to roll on loose rocks. Would I have ended up twisting an ankle without the mid-rise boot? I don't know for sure, but I know I haven't yet.

I also like the way the boot keeps debris out of my shoe, too.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My preferred option is Merrel Moab GTX mid height boots. Very comfortable and I walked over 1,000kms on my Camino in May/June last year. No blisters or any foot/ankle problems.

Insoles are important and I changed those supplied with the boots for a slightly more cushioning pair. Socks are also very important, and we all have our preferred tested options.

Like C clearly I wear what suits me best, which are mids, but this may not suit you for the reasons you stated. I have heard many arguments about boot heights over the years, some say high boots give great support to weaker ankles, others say that high boots remove the flexibility of your ankles and you would be more prone to get a break further up if you slipped because that flexibility has been removed. Honestly I don't know the answer but I wear what I feel comfortable in.
In the end the choice will have to be yours.
Maybe a better Pole title would be "Which boot style did you wear"
Buen Camino.

I'm a fan of the Lowa Renegades too but as mentioned above, this is personal and may not be best for everyone. If I may offer a suggestion though, if you don't already use them, trekking poles may be an effective way to help with this concern. When used correctly they double your contact points with the ground and take pressure off your walking joints. When I was going up a very muddy and slippery Alto del Perdón they were the only reason I kept myself upright and going back down the other side the poles offered much more stability on the rolling rocks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, apparently my feet will not be returning to their pre-Camino size. My boots that were one size larger before the Camino now feel snug after walking only one km. Time to get a new pair for my larger feet. :(

I am trying to decide between low and mid height boots for my next pair. I have always had a tendency to roll my ankles. In fact, I rolled it in November and fell on all fours, busting my right knee cap. I’m feeling paranoid about a repeat fall, so I’m wondering if mid height books might give me a little more support. I’d love to get your consensus as to whether boot height makes a difference?

How heavy is your pack? Do you use hiking poles? If you carry a lightweight pack, running shoes are your best bet! There are some shoes that have excellent tread for the worst trail conditions., and a big plus is that the material expands without hurting your feet like leather does.

Ultreïa!

Mary

Thank you all for your responses!
Looks like the consensus is for mid high... I have wide feet so I'm leaning toward Keens again with their large toe box. Other than shrinking on my feet :), they seemed to work well for me with my Superfeet insoles. If I could, I'd try out the Renegades or Moabs, but they're not available here in Mexico and even if they were, the return policy here is not customer oriented. Dang, I miss REI! I have to know what works before I buy while visiting California cause they ain't going back.
I do use REI Traverse poles, and I know they have saved me from multiple tumbles. Unfortunately, when I broke my knee cap, I was city walking and didn't have them with me. Often on the Camino, I leave my bag and poles at the alburgue when I go shopping or to dinner, so that's a time when the extra support could help. Also, even if I am saved by my poles, I'd like to avoid the rolling if at all possible because it burns for a while afterwards.
I'm going to try mid high boots, but I'm a little nervous because of my dang claustrophobic feet. Ideally, I'd love to walk in my sandals but I'm walking Le Puy in spring so I'm betting I'd miss wearing boots, especially on the bad weather days and on the rocky, exposed tree root paths.

Thank you all for your responses!
Looks like the consensus is for mid high... I have wide feet so I'm leaning toward Keens again with their large toe box. Other than shrinking on my feet :), they seemed to work well for me with my Superfeet insoles. If I could, I'd try out the Renegades or Moabs, but they're not available here in Mexico and even if they were, the return policy here is not customer oriented. Dang, I miss REI! I have to know what works before I buy while visiting California cause they ain't going back.
I do use REI Traverse poles, and I know they have saved me from multiple tumbles. Unfortunately, when I broke my knee cap, I was city walking and didn't have them with me. Often on the Camino, I leave my bag and poles at the alburgue when I go shopping or to dinner, so that's a time when the extra support could help. Also, even if I am saved by my poles, I'd like to avoid the rolling if at all possible because it burns for a while afterwards.
I'm going to try mid high boots, but I'm a little nervous because of my dang claustrophobic feet. Ideally, I'd love to walk in my sandals but I'm walking Le Puy in spring so I'm betting I'd miss wearing boots, especially on the bad weather days and on the rocky, exposed tree root paths.

What about Ecco biome terrain believe ecco ship all over the world, although it is not optimal.
http://global.ecco.com/en/ladies/product-types/outdoor/biom+terrain+ladies-823553-59956

Attachments

• EC142B006-Q12@11.jpg
    EC142B006-Q12@11.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 5
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What about Ecco biome terrain believe ecco ship all over the world, although it is not optimal.
http://global.ecco.com/en/ladies/product-types/outdoor/biom+terrain+ladies-823553-59956
I went to their site and apparently REI sells Ecco so I'll check them out when I'm there. Thanks! I'm also curious about the Solomon's, Moab,'s and Renegade's that many seem to like. Looks like my Feb whirlwind trip to California will mostly be spent trying out boots! Sounds fun to me. (1,000 times more fun than getting my taxes done!!!)

Buying online is problematic, especially for a shoe I've never test driven. Gotta make sure those tootsies have plenty of wiggle room. And now that my feet have changed in size, I don't even know what size I wear. My recent flip flop purchase here in Mexico was a 26. Whatever that means??? I know I can Google it, but I'm afraid the number would be meaningless since I have found that size depends on the shoe. The difference in size between my men's size 8 North Face sandals and my Keen Targhee's is astonishing. Plus, there's no such thing as "free shipping and free returns" to Mexico. Not to mention how unreliable the post is here. I'm still waiting for that Christmas card a friend sent from the States in early December :(

I went to their site and apparently REI sells Ecco so I'll check them out when I'm there. Thanks! I'm also curious about the Solomon's, Moab,'s and Renegade's that many seem to like. Looks like my Feb whirlwind trip to California will mostly be spent trying out boots! Sounds fun to me. (1,000 times more fun than getting my taxes done!!!)

Buying online is problematic, especially for a shoe I've never test driven. Gotta make sure those tootsies have plenty of wiggle room. And now that my feet have changed in size, I don't even know what size I wear. My recent flip flop purchase here in Mexico was a 26. Whatever that means??? I know I can Google it, but I'm afraid the number would be meaningless since I have found that size depends on the shoe. The difference in size between my men's size 8 North Face sandals and my Keen Targhee's is astonishing. Plus, there's no such thing as "free shipping and free returns" to Mexico. Not to mention how unreliable the post is here. I'm still waiting for that Christmas card a friend sent from the States in early December :(

"My recent flip flop purchase here in Mexico was a 26. Whatever that means"

26 is centimeters :)

For camino usage I found low shoes to be the best solution. I actually used Hoka One One maximal running shoes... but since most of the camino is on well groomed paths and roads, I didnt find the extra ankle support necessary. The lower shoe helped my feet breathe too,

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for your response @jrm. Yes, I agree that the Camino is well groomed. In fact, I walked it in hiking sandals last May (with poles :) ). However, this year I am walking the "Chemin" in France (Via Podiensis) which has rugged sections. I am also anticipating more inclement weather than in Spain.

My dream is to find a pair of boots so comfortable that I cannot even tell that they're on my feet, and that support my ankles to keep them from rolling. Probably not very realistic. As a back up plan, I'm bringing hiking sandals for any well groomed stretches.

P.S. An update... I first purchased some mid height Keene Targhee II's but after walking in them for one day, it felt like my feet were on fire. I went back the next day and exchanged them for the non waterproof version, Keene Voyager, and I love, love, love them. I normally wear a men's 7 (women's 9) but had to get a men's 9!!! (They run small + 1"for swelling) I've been practice walking in them for 2 weeks now and so far, they feel great! We'll see what happens when I am actually walking 20-30 kms / day...

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.