• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mid weight fleece OR wind jacket ... Or both?

g4grace

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Spring 2016)
I will be walking Camino France's mid May thru June. First Camino. Will be bringing one l/s and a couple s/s merino first layers. Will a mid layer lightweight fleece be enough to keep warm over top or should I invest in a windbreaker as well? What has been your experience? One over another or both? I should mention too that I will be using a poncho for rain gear. Thank you so much in advance for your help ... :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I would bring both. The fleece between early mornings, evenings and nights can be cold. The windbreaker, waterproof I suppose, to wear when it's even colder amd rain is on the horizon. It's a combination that has always worked well for me. I also have the poncho, and rain pants as well! I don't mind rain on bare legs on a warm day, but damp trousers in cold temps is not for me.

Everyone has their own unique body temp but for warmth in May-June I'm not sure you'd even need a mid-weight fleece. I walked in the winter and learned the same lesson over and over when I over dressed in the morning while looking at the thermometer. 10-15 minutes into my walking day and I was stopping to strip off layers because I was well on my way to sweating. With your merino wool under a very lightweight jacket you may just find that you're chilly for a bit and then warm up to a comfortable temp.
Good luck deciding and hope you have a great Camino in May!
Buen Camino
Jordon

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Light fleece, a light parka that can be folded into small sausage bag and and a small umbrella.

3 items but extremely light and more or less took care of all sorts of weather.

Poncho or rain jacket are too hot and sweaty for me.

In May, I would go with both. You can layer it when needed and take one or the other lf when your all warmed up from walking, but you also want to have something when the walking is done for the day and it might cool down late afternoon/early evening.

Weather can be very unpredictable, nothing wrong with being a little prepared.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
May can still be cool - and I have walked the Frances at that time of year! I took a light fleece and a windbreaker (spray jacket) and a poncho.

The jacket adds an extra layer of warmth for early morning starts and evening wear - times when you wouldn't want to put your poncho on.

Weather can vary year to year but I wouldn't want to be without any of those 3 items.

buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked slightly earlier, starting the CF in late Mar and the CI in mid-Apr. Both times I have had a base and mid-layer and a light fleece. On the CF, I used the fleece for an hour or so most mornings. For some reason, on the CI it was much windier in the mornings, and I wore my rain jacket for the first hour or so instead to keep the wind out as well as keep warm. The fleece only got used in the evenings. While I plan to make some changes to the individual items this year, I will still have:
  • base (x2) - technical tee-shirt (wool blend)
  • middle (x2) either a knitted long sleeved top or conventional trekking shirt
  • outer (x1) light fleece
  • wind/rain protection (x1) - still mulling over whether to use a jacket or try a poncho.

I have walked the Camino Frances in May and June the last two years and on both occasions the weather was pretty warm most days, but a couple of damp days and the odd cold day too.

I layer up with a lightweight base layer, lightweight fleece and if still cold I wear a Montane windshirt over the top. It only weighs 100 grams and is windproof, showerproof and breathable. The layers get stripped off down to just the base layer as things warm up.

I also have a lightweight poncho if it is wet and just have the base layer on underneath it, so I never get too hot and sweaty.

May 2013. COLD. RAIN. So glad I listened to my accupuncturist who suggested the rain pants. Long sleeved T and Merino leggings tho itchy were worn day in and day out, including at bed time!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have only walked the Camino in Summer but.... I have walked across Europe in all weathers.
Layers: a camisole, a short-sleeved T-shirt, a long-sleeved merino jumper, a fleece, a very light windbreaker jacket and a poncho. Saw me to 35 deg heat to minus goodness knows what (it was COLD!) . Wouldn't change anything if I could do it again.
Buen camino :)
Oh and I wore merino leggings under my skirt when it was cold. And a buff, and wooly gloves I bought in a near-by market.

the names they gives clothing just because its tech fiber is so funny.

hahaha! We are such a diverse group!

I think the question for you is "Do you tend to be too hot or too cold?"
I am more likely to get cold than hot so on ALL my Caminos, no matter what time of year, I take both a featherweight fleece (or cashmere sweater) AND a windbreaker.
The weight of the cashmere/fleece is so minimal, it's worth it for me to be prepared.
If I were going to absolutely choose between the two, I'd take the windbreaker.
It can be cold on some of those mountain passes.
Two years ago in JUNE, I had on everything I owned in Santo Domingo, and it was snowing in the mountains.
Like others mentioned, once you begin walking, you begin peeling off layers
However, once you STOP walking, and you're sweaty and the weather is cool, you don't want to get chilled.

It's just impossible to know the weather.

On the other hand, you can almost always pick up extra clothing in the FREE BOXES in the albergues or in shops along the way.
It would (for me) be easier to find a long-sleeved shirt or fleece than a windbreaker.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
... Will a mid layer lightweight fleece be enough to keep warm over top or should I invest in a windbreaker as well? What has been your experience? One over another or both? I should mention too that I will be using a poncho for rain gear. Thank you so much in advance for your help ... :)

A light windbreaker will add a lot of warmth to your clothing as it prevents the loss of warmth if there is - wind. Sounds obvious, but I can't explain it better. Clothing doesn't actually add warmth to your body, it just prevents the warmth created by your body to escape. If there is wind the so-called chill factor comes into play and the wind that goes through your clothing takes away the warm air trapped by said clothing, close to your body. Hope that helps and Buen Camino, SY

Thanks so much for your input. Am still undecided, but getting there ... :). I'm so excited, this being my first Camino, been 'researching' non-stop, it seems. Thank you for being here ... :)
I am walking between April 12 and May 30, so a little earlier than you. As of today, I am bringing both a lightweight fleece and a windbreaker, plus parka and rain pants. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether to also bring a NorthFace Nanopuff. I am trying out different combinations while doing my training walks, and will make that decision closer to when I'm leaving.

Make the most comfortable decision you can and realize you can always make adjustments later.

Buen Camino!

I am trying out different combinations while doing my training walks, and will make that decision closer to when I'm leaving.

Make the most comfortable decision you can and realize you can always make adjustments later.

Buen Camino!

Couldn't agree more with 'trying it out' !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Try it all out and find the ideal combo, thats perfect, but fleece, windbreaker, parka AND nano puff seems to be overkill. I think nano puff or fleece, but both?
And what do you consider a Parka? An outershell? Isn't that a windbreaker already?

Try it all out and find the ideal combo, thats perfect, but fleece, windbreaker, parka AND nano puff seems to be overkill. I think nano puff or fleece, but both?
And what do you consider a Parka? An outershell? Isn't that a windbreaker already?
Yeah, that was little confusing. I meant poncho, not parka. The windbreaker isn't waterproof. And I tend to agree that the nanopuff is not likely to be needed. There'll be times I might wish I had it, but I think I can make do. Thanks for the input.

We walked the Camino Francis starting early May last year with cotton shirt, sweater, fleece vest, and light weight waterproof jacket. And it was more than adequate. The only thing I sort of wanted that I didn't have was gloves for a few cold mornings. But hands in vest pockets worked great. I'd skip the base layer and poncho.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Of course a poncho for those wet days. And a small knit cap -we call them toques in Canada - is indispensable on those colder days and walking before the sun is up.

I will be walking Camino France's mid May thru June. First Camino. Will be bringing one l/s and a couple s/s merino first layers. Will a mid layer lightweight fleece be enough to keep warm over top or should I invest in a windbreaker as well? What has been your experience? One over another or both? I should mention too that I will be using a poncho for rain gear. Thank you so much in advance for your help ... :)
I have walked the camino twice, both times took a light weight fleece and a waterproof rain jacket, and both got used regularly.

We walked the Camino Francis starting early May last year with cotton shirt, sweater, fleece vest, and light weight waterproof jacket. And it was more than adequate. The only thing I sort of wanted that I didn't have was gloves for a few cold mornings. But hands in vest pockets worked great. I'd skip the base layer and poncho.
I like to go lightweight, so wherever possible, things in my pack have more than one purpose. Walking in May/June I don't carry gloves, but for the odd cold morning I start off with my spare socks on my hands. :rolleyes:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

The base layer can be the cotton shirt---but make it Merino wool. Also, did you get soaking wet through and through when it rained, with just the light weight waterproof jacket? was your pack covered, and how about your legs?

hahaha! We are such a diverse group!

I think the question for you is "Do you tend to be too hot or too cold?"
I am more likely to get cold than hot so on ALL my Caminos, no matter what time of year, I take both a featherweight fleece (or cashmere sweater) AND a windbreaker.
The weight of the cashmere/fleece is so minimal, it's worth it for me to be prepared.
If I were going to absolutely choose between the two, I'd take the windbreaker.
It can be cold on some of those mountain passes.
Two years ago in JUNE, I had on everything I owned in Santo Domingo, and it was snowing in the mountains.
Like others mentioned, once you begin walking, you begin peeling off layers
However, once you STOP walking, and you're sweaty and the weather is cool, you don't want to get chilled.

It's just impossible to know the weather.

On the other hand, you can almost always pick up extra clothing in the FREE BOXES in the albergues or in shops along the way.
It would (for me) be easier to find a long-sleeved shirt or fleece than a windbreaker.
This is the first time I have seen someone mention the "free boxes" of clothing. After all of this reading, I was wondering what happens to all of the things pilgrims leave behind. It's nice to know you can find something if you leave home without it, or the weather changes suddenly!

Yeah, that was little confusing. I meant poncho, not parka. The windbreaker isn't waterproof. And I tend to agree that the nanopuff is not likely to be needed. There'll be times I might wish I had it, but I think I can make do. Thanks for the input.
I had to look up "nanopuff" lol

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is the first time I have seen someone mention the "free boxes" of clothing. After all of this reading, I was wondering what happens to all of the things pilgrims leave behind. It's nice to know you can find something if you leave home without it, or the weather changes suddenly!

Yes, most albergues have a free box of discarded items.
Sometimes, if you don't see the box, and you need something, you can ask.

The base layer can be the cotton shirt---but make it Merino wool.

Wowww....stop the press :) ....for the layer system to work, all the layers have to be right and adjusted to each other and cotton is never ever a part of any layer system, not for summer, not for winter, not for hiking, not for mountaineering....never ever in any situation.
(Merino)wool, various hitech synthetics, down are all good fabrics for a 2, 3 or 4 layer system, but cotton as a (base)layer is a big no no and as a baselayer it would probably be the worst of all layers.

Wowww....stop the press :) ....for the layer system to work, all the layers have to be right and adjusted to each other and cotton is never ever a part of any layer system, not for summer, not for winter, not for hiking, not for mountaineering....never ever in any situation.
(Merino)wool, various hitech synthetics, down are all good fabrics for a 2, 3 or 4 layer system, but cotton as a (base)layer is a big no no and as a baselayer it would probably be the worst of all layers.

Merino wool is best. If you don't sweat or hike in the rain, a light cotton t shirt can be comfortable--but that's a lot of ifs. Also, I was looking through someone's packing list last night, replete with photos, and I thought---wow. That's a thousand-dollar wardrobe. Not everyone can do that. At the very least, a wool sweater can come in handy. Again, I will say that wool is best, but for those pilgrims who don't have the money to gear up, a wool sweater and a waterproof coat or poncho might be all they can do.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
the names they gives clothing just because its tech fiber is so funny.

I even think the term "tech fiber" is funny. I was looking in sporting goods stores for "tech" tee shirts that are good for a first layer, dry quickly, etc. Then I realized that you can find cheap cotton/poly blend tee shirts (as opposed to all cotton) that work great.

Merino is indeed more expensive, but I think any pilgrim that can spend the money on a 5 week trip can buy a cheapish but more than ok hi-tech t-shirt instead of a Merino wool to replace the awfull choice (imo) that cotton is.

'If you dont sweat' is humanly impossible :)

Tech fibers are created with certain goals in mind like breathability, water resistant or repellent, strechability, durability ect ect....
A simple every day blend is just that, a blend of two everyday fibers spun together to knit a tshirt or sweater. Nothing more, nothing less and your right, some can be excellent, but still, just about any blend of synthetic non-cotton fibers is far better.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I find it difficult to believe that anyone keeps repeating the urban myth that cotton shouldn't be used, as @Dutch so quaintly puts it, 'never ever in any situation'. The advantages of cotton in hot and drier climates are manifest, and for those conditions it is often the fabric of choice. When in those climates, layering is generally not the issue - sun protection and cooling are the issues, and cotton clearly has advantages over other materials in those circumstances. The very characteristics that do make it a dangerous choice in cold, wet conditions are going to make it a good choice for hot and dry conditions.

I lived in the Middle East many years ago and we were advised then that all clothes HAD to be cotton .
We all survived quite happily ;)
Whilst walking in Europe though and exherting ourselves carrying backpacks and walking many kms... I for one appreciate the new 'technical' clothes .
We are very lucky to even have this constant dilemna, what to buy, what to wear, often at exhorbitant prices.
I don't know if any of you have noticed but on the camino, there are pilgrims who just wear what they have, they didn't have the option.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone keeps repeating the urban myth that cotton shouldn't be used, as @Dutch so quaintly puts it, 'never ever in any situation'. The advantages of cotton in hot and drier climates are manifest, and for those conditions it is often the fabric of choice. When in those climates, layering is generally not the issue - sun protection and cooling are the issues, and cotton clearly has advantages over other materials in those circumstances. The very characteristics that do make it a dangerous choice in cold, wet conditions are going to make it a good choice for hot and dry conditions.

As you can read @dougfitz i say never ever in a LAYER system. Read Doug, read.

And yes doug, you are right, cotton dries faster, wicks away moist quicker, breaths more efficiently and insulated far better than any other fabric.
Oh and wearing your cotton shirt underneath a raincoat is the best ever.

Cotton, Its the fiber of the future. How silly of me.

Last edited:
As you can read @dougfitz i say never ever in a LAYER system. Read Doug, read.
I can read @Dutch, and you were clearly adamant that cotton was not to be used, as you said 'never ever in any situation'. I am glad to see that you now agree that there are situations where cotton might be used safely.:rolleyes:

It's at these moments I'm reminded of two great quotes in the move "The Way", interestingly, both by the character 'Jack'.
1) Uh oh... looks like the pack is getting ready to eat one of it's own
2) If you were a man I'd challenge you to pistols at dawn
As I couldn't actually find these quotes on the internet, my apologies if a word or two is amiss but I think I got the gist :D

Yes @dougfitz i have no problems at all with you wearing cotton safely, especially on a rainy day in july underneath your raincoat or poncho.

Stay dry now, you hear.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have found the whole topic of "baselayers" to be confusing. And I couldn't help but wonder at times whether the idea of a baselayer was some marketing myth created to get us to buy new stuff. After all, what's the difference between a baselayer with clothing on top and just layering up your clothing?

After researching it a little, I guess I'm convinced that a layer that stays close to the skin works differently than just layering on your clothing in cold-weather situations. It can add warmth without as much bulk as just layering up clothing would do. Of the articles I read, I liked this one the best: How to Choose the Perfect Base Layer.

So, here's my question: I'm curious why silk is not mentioned as a good base layer for walking the Camino? I wear silk tops and bottoms at home during the winter, since we keep our house temperature between 63-65F (17-18C). (It's an old house that's too hard to heat despite all the insulation we've put in.) Has anyone worn silk?

I love my silk scarf, it serves as a blanket on buses, trains, plane, and extra warmth in the evenings. I suppose it's a question of cost as synthetics less expensive, in my experience. But at equal price I would opt for silk.

As for what a base layer is, I have no clue. When going skiing I always wear a long sleeved T-type, then a fleece amd then ski jacket. I have all sorts, from those that are probably meant for running, with a 3/4 zip in the front to my longjohn type set which I was throlled to have as PJs last May on the primitivo, and as back up for layering if I had neded it.

I have found the whole topic of "baselayers" to be confusing. And I couldn't help but wonder at times whether the idea of a baselayer was some marketing myth created to get us to buy new stuff. After all, what's the difference between a baselayer with clothing on top and just layering up your clothing?

After researching it a little, I guess I'm convinced that a layer that stays close to the skin works differently than just layering on your clothing in cold-weather situations. It can add warmth without as much bulk as just layering up clothing would do. Of the articles I read, I liked this one the best: How to Choose the Perfect Base Layer.

So, here's my question: I'm curious why silk is not mentioned as a good base layer for walking the Camino? I wear silk tops and bottoms at home during the winter, since we keep our house temperature between 63-65F (17-18C). (It's an old house that's too hard to heat despite all the insulation we've put in.) Has anyone worn silk?
I work in the tropics and wear silk shirts at work most days and enjoy it immensely and at the right time of year, I agree silk could have a rightful place on a Camino gear list. Although I haven't researched extensively, the upside is comfort, exceptional temperature moderation (both hot and cold) and the highest natural fabric strength while the challenges I note of using it are cost, lack of anti-bacterial properties (everyday washing required) and general availability (aside from silk bag lines and the occasional silk liner socks, I can't really remember seeing silk clothes designed for athletic use?) From personal experience, I far far prefer to wash, line dry and wear my synthetic and merino wool garments than I do my silk garments and since daily washing would be required, not sure that would be a whole lotta fun.

To speak to the concept of layering, my understanding is that you typically start with light-weight, wicking layers next to the skin to maximize skin dryness and progressively get warmer/heavier with the last layer ideally being waterproof. Then as your activity levels rise and your internal heat increases you can start removing layers as necessary. With 3-5 layers of varying weight and characteristics you get enough flexibility to create the right balance between staying warm but not sweating.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thats it, you dress up like an onion so you can peel of any layer necessary and mix n match them to create the perfect enviroment for the weathercondition at any given time....depending on the season/location/activity you can go up to as much as 5 layers, but max 4 is more common.
On average on the camino a 3 layer system will do fine in almost any camino weathertype.

Definitely have a windbreaker with you! Yes, if you have a lightweight down jacket, or a warm fleece, you'll be able to wear your windbreaker or rain jacket over it and you'll be prepared for all sorts of weather. Backpacking in Chile, doing the West Coast Trail in British Columbia and on the Camino, having all 3 always allowed me to adjust for the weather conditions of the day. You won't regret having a windbreaker with you!

Ultreïa!

Mary

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I like to go lightweight, so wherever possible, things in my pack have more than one purpose. Walking in May/June I don't carry gloves, but for the odd cold morning I start off with my spare socks on my hands.
I probably traveled too light. My one spare set of socks were usually still damp in the morning.

having read all of the comments. What about June/July Camino, same dilemma. Fleece, windbreaker? Yes No??

having read all of the comments. What about June/July Camino, same dilemma. Fleece, windbreaker? Yes No??

I took the same for March as for August. You never know in Spain and certainly not in Galicia. Layering is indeed the solution. I did choose for summer a white rainjacket/windbreaker though instead of my wintery black one.

The Spanish weather agency site provides excellent access to their climate data. Here is the data on the normal values for Santiago Airport. You might expect minimum temperatures in the low teens (Celcius) and on average eight days of rain in June, six in July. For me, that wouldn't quite be warm enough not to want a fleece on at the start of each day, but I don't think it would be on for long once I started walking.

The Spanish weather agency site provides excellent access to their climate data. Here is the data on the normal values for Santiago Airport. You might expect minimum temperatures in the low teens (Celcius) and on average eight days of rain in June, six in July. For me, that wouldn't quite be warm enough not to want a fleece on at the start of each day, but I don't think it would be on for long once I started walking.
Thank you kind sir!

Base layer is a personal choice. I happen to hate synthetic, stretchy material against my skin. So I buy cheap tee shirts that are a cotton/poly blend. They don't absorb a lot of moisture and they dry fast.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes @dougfitz i have no problems at all with you wearing cotton safely, especially on a rainy day in july underneath your raincoat or poncho.

Stay dry now, you hear.
I'm so glad that I have your approval. In that case I will ensure that I have at least one cotton item in my packing and use it every time that it rains, even if it will be in May and Jun, and not July:).

Thats ok. 30+ degrees in may and june is not uncommon in Spain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Be sure to wear a down jacket over that!
@JillGat, thanks for your concern, but for some reason I don't have a down jacket on my packing list:(. But I do want to know how this cotton item performs on cold and wet days, so I will be wearing it then as well as on hot and dry days.

Last edited:
Merino wool is probably the most versatile natural material there is! It comes in all sorts of weights, wool is a lightweight clothing material, but it also is very resistant. So many clothing items and styles to choose from, short-sleeve, long sleeve, turtleneck, crew neck, hoodies, socks, T-shirts, underwear for both men and women, etc. In cold weather wool stays warm even if it's damp, and when it gets hot, wool helps you stay cool by wicking sweat away from your body. One of the best features of wool is that it does not retain odor - you will not stink! Now, if that's not an awesome plus, I don't know what is!
When backpacking anywhere, I have worn wool T-Shirts or long sleeve shirts, wool underwear, socks, and have always been very comfortable in all sorts of weather conditions:)
I know, it's staring to sound like a pitch for all the wool clothing companies:) Honestly, you'll love it and it's a great investment that will keep you cool, warm and smelling pretty darn good! Just my thoughts!

Ultreïa,

Mary

@JillGat, thanks for your concern, but for some reason I don't have a down jacket on my packing list:(. But I do want to know how this cotton item performs on cold and wet days, so I will be wearing it then as well as on hot and dry days.
It won't keep you warm! Wool will definitely be a great investment and you'll be a happy hiker!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I was actually joking, because the only thing worse than cotton in wet weather is down.

Rather than start another thread on a closely related topic, I'm going to jump in here with my own layering question. I'm walking from SJPP to Santiago and hopefully Finisterre starting April 17th. My top layers are:
--tech tee shirt (1 or 2)
--lightweight merino long sleeve shirt (1)
--lightweight hoodless fleece pullover (1)
--Packa rain jacket/pack cover
--buff and sun hat
I decided to go with the Packa rather than my rain jacket so I'd have better pack protection. Now I'm wondering if I should bring one more top layer, a very light wind jacket like this Patagonia
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/womens-houdini-jacket-windbreaker?p=24145-0

Any thoughts on whether that extra layer would be more than I need? Thanks as always, this forum is so helpful--and addictive!

Bring along a wind jacket! I have the Houdini and made sure I could wear it over my light weight down jacket. You won't regret having it with you. It simply stops the wind from getting through your clothing and protects you and keeps you warm when the wind is cool/cold! It does happen in May and June. In cool mornings, I would just wear my wool t-shirt and use the windbreaker to keep semi-warm, until the physical activity warmed me up enough to take the jacket off.

Oh, I see you'll be traveling in April. I would say definitely a rain jacket, a warm fleece/lightweight down jacket and the Windbreaker. The Houdini is the best!!!

Hope this helps a bit:)

I am walking between April 12 and May 30, so a little earlier than you. As of today, I am bringing both a lightweight fleece and a windbreaker, plus parka and rain pants. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether to also bring a NorthFace Nanopuff. I am trying out different combinations while doing my training walks, and will make that decision closer to when I'm leaving.

Buen Camino!

I am leaving the same day for Camino Frances. Where are you now with what you are taking in the way of jackets/protection?

Hope to see you, Seabird! I bought a Patagonia Houdini wind jacket online and on sale today. It's just 3.5 ounces, and water resistant, though not a substitute for rain protection. I figure I can layer with light fleece and Packa as needed. Getting there! Now just need to figure out the sandal situation....

I am leaving the same day for Camino Frances. Where are you now with what you are taking in the way of jackets/protection?

Hope to see you, Seabird! I bought a Patagonia Houdini wind jacket online and on sale today. It's just 3.5 ounces, and water resistant, though not a substitute for rain protection. I figure I can layer with light fleece and Packa as needed.

The lowest temperature I've walked so far was 32F (0C). I'm finding the combination of fleece & windjacket (very similar to the Houdini) to be just fine, even with just a wool short-sleeved pullover and a synthetic treking shirt on. So at this point, I'm likely to leave the Nanopuff home. I do think about how nice it would be wear it in the evenings......

The lowest temperature I've walked so far was 32F (0C). I'm finding the combination of fleece & windjacket (very similar to the Houdini) to be just fine, even with just a wool short-sleeved pullover and a synthetic treking shirt on. So at this point, I'm likely to leave the Nanopuff home. I do think about how nice it would be wear it in the evenings......

Thanks for the info. This will be my first Camino - I am going with the fleece and rain/wind jacket and hope it will keep me warm enough - living in Southern California I am not very experience in hiking in cold weather.

Thanks for the info. This will be my first Camino - I am going with the fleece and rain/wind jacket and hope it will keep me warm enough - living in Southern California I am not very experience in hiking in cold weather.

If you don't have a long-sleeved merino wool shirt on your list, you could consider adding that as a layer. Icebreaker, Smartwool etc make them in lighter and heavier weights. I'm taking the 200 weight (medium, they run 150, 200, 250 weight) for a base layer in cool weather, and figure I can wear it to keep the sun off when it's warmer, plus as a sleep shirt.
They're on sale now http://www.icebreaker.com/en/womens...ipe/101370_WS.html?dwvar_101370__WS_color=001

Just gave a merino long sleeve T a chance today, but when I tried it on is was raspy, itchy. Back to the store it goes. I really wish I could find a comfortable, and in a light colour...

Just gave a merino long sleeve T a chance today, but when I tried it on is was raspy, itchy. Back to the store it goes. I really wish I could find a comfortable, and in a light colour...
I have the same issues, and use a wool/polyester blend base layer rather than pure wool most of the time. A couple of my older pure wool long sleeved tee shirts have reached the level of softness that they are acceptable for base layers, but it has taken a couple of years to get there. The trouble is that by the time they got to be soft enough, they are full of (extra) holes where the knit has snagged and opened up. Other knitted tops that I have are much more durable than my pure wool ones.

I grew up in Ventura, so I know what you mean. I've adapted to a much colder winter climate here in Virginia. So just remember that it's a very personal decision. You neither want to overpack nor be miserable! I'm making the best educated guess I can, since this will be my first Camino and will supplement/discard as needed. Good luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The finer (or lower) the micron, the softer the merino. Another alternative is merino mixed with silk - this Wednesday Aldi are selling ladies cardigans with a silk wool mix. I'll be lining up before the shop opens!

If you don't have a long-sleeved merino wool shirt on your list, you could consider adding that as a layer. Icebreaker, Smartwool etc make them in lighter and heavier weights. I'm taking the 200 weight (medium, they run 150, 200, 250 weight) for a base layer in cool weather, and figure I can wear it to keep the sun off when it's warmer, plus as a sleep shirt.
They're on sale now http://www.icebreaker.com/en/womens...ipe/101370_WS.html?dwvar_101370__WS_color=001
I would add that it's important to get the long sleeved base layer shirt by Icebreaker if you are easily irritated by wool. I have both base layers shirts and t-shirts by Icebreaker and the t-shirt is a 150 weight and really rather scratchy whereas my 200 weight L/S base layer shirt is really soft, so much so that it's hard to believe it's wool!

Wow! This opened up a can of worms eh. Opinions are like feet,everyone has a couple ,eh. So here is my take . I have recently found a tee shirt to replace my icebreaker that I will be taking with me in April. It is made with polygeine impregnated synthetics and is supposed to compete with merino but a lot more efficient. I always like to test different equipment for my particular uses and judge for myself so to speak. It was developed in Sweden and is used for some of the running and high performance type of garments. I plan on putting it to the test for four or five weeks and see if it lives up to the hype. Wicking properties, and no smelly, stinking ,who is that gross perigrino bumpkin that just walked by effect. They are a bit spendy, but no more than icebreaker, so I will give it a shot. i plan on taking only one tee shirt this trip, along with a. Long sleeve tee in the same material. As jimmy buffet say's, only,time will tell. I will relate my experience after the fact for all who may be interested, or not! Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back