• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Midway certificate?

Time of past OR future Camino
End of the French Way (June 2015), End of the Portuguese Way (June 2015), Ways to Muxia and Fisterra (June-July 2015)
An experienced pilgrim mentioned a certificate available midway between the French border and Santiago on the French Way. Has anyone else heard of that or have details about it?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A long time ago, critically ill pilgrims could get a Compostela in Villafranca del Bierzo. Now you can get a sello in your credencial. That may be what you heard about.

At the Iglesia de Santiago:

The archivolt and portal, Puerta del Perdón. In ancient times, if a pilgrim was very ill, they were allowed to enter through this portal, and were given a special blessing and pardon.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
James,
Markitect is right, I got a 'carta peregrina' in Sahagun last year, you need to go to the church on the hill, which appears to be an exhibition centre,
check the opening hours as they vary. There was an interesting exhibition of architectural models on when we were there. Just outside Sahagun there is a
stone which states that that point is the dead centre of the Camino.
I also got a stamp in Madrid this year in St James church, again you have to go after mass and the priest will stamp your pilgrim passport. We are doing
the Camino in stages and flew into and out of Madrid this year. I don't know how well known it is that the stamp is available here, we asked at several
of the historical sites such as the Palace before we were told where to go.

I shared a room with a woman who got the half way certificate in Sahagun. It was very beautiful, quite impressive, written in calligraphy, including her name. I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed with my Santiago certificate after seeing her 1/2 way certificate. But I'm sure the number of certificates issued in Santiago and the long lines makes it impossible to match that quality.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
James,
Markitect is right, I got a 'carta peregrina' in Sahagun last year, you need to go to the church on the hill, which appears to be an exhibition centre,
check the opening hours as they vary. There was an interesting exhibition of architectural models on when we were there. Just outside Sahagun there is a
stone which states that that point is the dead centre of the Camino.
I also got a stamp in Madrid this year in St James church, again you have to go after mass and the priest will stamp your pilgrim passport. We are doing
the Camino in stages and flew into and out of Madrid this year. I don't know how well known it is that the stamp is available here, we asked at several
of the historical sites such as the Palace before we were told where to go.

Not only is a stamp available at the Iglesia Santiago y San Juan in Madrid, but also a distinctive and attractive credential.
Sean [from Ireland] and myself got the credentials there on May 6th this year before walking the Camino de Madrid, as per my post on the Madrid camino forum.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Well, I guess this document does tell us where the CF starts, since it tells us where the midpoint is. So much for those who say there is no suc thing as a starting point!

The text refers to the geographic centre of the French Way as laid out in the Codex Calixtinus. It does not seem to make the broader claim that the French Way is THE Way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The text refers to the geographic centre of the French Way as laid out in the Codex Calixtinus. It does not seem to make the broader claim that the French Way is THE Way.
It's still refering to some particular point being the strart, no matter where that is. No?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
James,
check the opening hours as they vary. There was an interesting exhibition of architectural models on when we were there. ....

That hilltop complex, originally a Franciscan monastery, is known as the Sanctuario de la Peregrina.

Last edited:
Very interesting! Does it require a display of sellos proving you've actually walked the entire first half of the Camino Frances in order to obtain this beauty? Or is just visiting the Sanctuario sufficient?

(I ask because I expect to be in Sahagun in September, but I'm starting this Camino in Los Arcos/Logrono, rather than in SJPdeP/Roncesvalles.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you read it it only recognises the fact that you been to Sahagun, the mid-point of the CF. The way it is written one would think all you have to do is show up although it does mak references to Sahagun wanting to be remembered as a place where rest was offered.

Very interesting! Does it require a display of sellos proving you've actually walked the entire first half of the Camino Frances in order to obtain this beauty? Or is just visiting the Sanctuario sufficient?

(I ask because I expect to be in Sahagun in September, but I'm starting this Camino in Los Arcos/Logrono, rather than in SJPdeP/Roncesvalles.)
I showed my Pilgrim Passport to get a credential stamp and was given the 'very beautiful' numbered Carta Peregrina after a visit to the exhibition at the Sanctuario. I believe that the the Carta only signifies a pilgrims arrival at the halfway point or geographical centre of the CdSdC, nothing more than that. Mine was numbered 4441. Buen Camino

There are so many great things to see in Sahagun (e.g., the tomb of Alfonso VI!) that I hadn't originally planned to visit this Sanctuario. But I will now!

My thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have translated the certificate as:

Let all know seeing this Pilgrim Certificate that [name] has passed through the Leonese lands of Sahagun, geographical center of the Camino Frances, where, as reported in the Codex Calixtinus, "... prodigous in all types of goods, one encounters the meadow, of which they say that in days gone by, the shining lances that the victorious warriors had thurst into the ground for the glory of the Lord came to life again." and it further attests that he has found rest for the fatigues of the body and relief for the spirit.

The inhabitants of this noble town give him encouragement to continue his camino and to arrive with safe passage at the house of the Lord Saint James, where we hope he retains a memory of the reception we have given him.

And for a record that can be presented before whoever demands it I sign this in Sahagun, on the [day] of [month] of the year of our Lord [year]

The Mayor.

[name]

Jacobean Pilgrims' Association Region of Sahagun

- Leon -

Pilgrim Certificate [number]

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
About the meadow in the first paragraph of the certificate:

The story is that when Charlemagne (and Roland?) campaigned against the Moors in Spain there was a battle near Sahagun. The night before the battle the knights thurst their lances into the earth. In the morning the knights that were to die in battle that day found their lances had sprouted into trees showing them that they would have eternal life.

Cynics may say that the knights died in battle because trees make lousy lances.

The story of the lances is depicted in a stained glass window in Chartres Cathedral:
Chartres Cathedral's window depicting the legends of Charlemagne and Roland http://www.medievalart.org.uk/Chartres/07_pages/Chartres_Bay07_key.htm
Panel 09 - St James appears to Charlemagne in a dream http://www.medievalart.org.uk/Chartres/07_pages/Chartres_Bay07_Panel09.htm
Panel 15 - The Miracle of the Flowering Lances http://www.medievalart.org.uk/Chartres/07_pages/Chartres_Bay07_Panel15.htm

Last edited:
Beautiful! What a lovely encouragement from the "noble inhabitants" of Sahagun. It is a town where I did indeed find "rest for the fatigues of the body and relief of the spirit."

Personally, I think I like my halfway certificate a bit more than even my Compostela. Maybe it was just something about that particular day, the beauty of the meseta, and the warm welcome from the priests at Monastery Santa Cruz that bring back such a glow of happy memories. But it's a rather special document for me.

I knew the gist of it, and kept meaning to have someone translate in full, but I never got around to it. Many thanks for the translation.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back