• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mileage tracker

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, May - July 2023
I am searching for an iPhone app that does one thing only, does it well, and does it accurately, which is to track mileage along the Camino.

With the most popular apps, all too often they eventually/automatically go to into sleep mode and stop tracking miles. I am careful to configure iPhone settings to prevent sleep mode from happening, yet the issue persists. Also, I have no problem paying for a well designed app, but I have no interest in apps that nag the user to buy a subscription service.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Could you please tell me where within the Apple fitness app I can find the option to start and stop tracking? All that I am seeing on my iPhone when using Apple fitness is a summary of my workouts recorded on my Apple Watch. I really want to use Fitness to record tracking on my phone, because I am live on the Camino and discovered that about four hours into each walk the battery on my Apple Watch dies. Please advise.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Android user, so sorry, no idea how to prevent an iPhone from going into sleep.
For my usage, the komoot app does a pretty good tracking, although it doesnt have the most detailed recording. I think i was missing start and end times. But milage and elevation was pretty accurate and on my android it did never go into sleep mode.
Another app i hear mentioned a lot in a good way is mapy.cz

Both should be available in english.

Strava is very popular. The free version should do what you need. Also take a look at AllTrails. Users have created trail tracks for the entire route (Frances) and I think all the stages. I’ve used both for multi hour hikes or bike rides. I hope one of these work for you. Buen Camino!

Sample: Camino de Santiago in 28 Days: Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port - Finisterre on AllTrails

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My experience with AllTrails was far less favorable, as it repeatedly went into sleep mode. Today I started Strava; annoyingly, the settings on the free version of Strava did not allow me to change units of measures from kilometer to miles so I signed up for the one-month trial, but even after signing up for the free trial, I had to wait several minutes until the Settings menu allowed me to toggle to miles.

Android user here. For doing what you want to do I use the Wikiloc app. You can change distance units, pause during breaks (if you forget to unpause it notices big movement and notifies you), it shows distance, speed (current, average speed and average pace), time (total and moving) and elevation information. The display is in large print. You have to record your track for this but you can delete it when done. It wants to display the track but will do that even with no online or offline base map. Possibly it may only work if you are a Wikiloc member but that's a free signup at Wikiloc.com and that allows you download tracks from the website (non members can search for and view tracks at the website though).
Screenshot_20230529-085013.png
You swipe on the numbers to change what is shown (e.g., total time v. moving time). You click between map and stats displays.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is an Apple version of Relive. My Android version used to "autopause" then fail to restart, but I turned that off, and am not sure if it is even an option anymore. I've been quite happy with the job it does.

Android user here. For doing what you want to do I use the Wikiloc app. You can change distance units, pause during breaks (if you forget to unpause it notices big movement and notifies you), it shows distance, speed (current, average speed and average pace), time (total and moving) and elevation information. The display is in large print. You have to record your track for this but you can delete it when done. It wants to display the track but will do that even with no online or offline base map. Possibly it may only work if you are a Wikiloc member but that's a free signup at Wikiloc.com and that allows you download tracks from the website (non members can search for and view tracks at the website though).
View attachment 148374
You swipe on the numbers to change what is shown (e.g., total time v. moving time). You click between map and stats displays.
My husband uses Wikiloc on his iPhone to keep track of our miles and it works great, as described by Rick above. Never problems with going to sleep and nice to use.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Doesn't the distance between any given two points on the Camino remain the same? Tectonic shift does not impose on our temporal sojourn.

I think that the step-counter in the inbuilt "Health" app on my iPhone operates even in Airplane mode though I've rarely consulted it. If I want to know how far I need to walk to the next available Orujo or Bed I'll consult a guidebook or a map. If I want to know how far I've walked I'll consult my feet - the scale of some, enough, to far is sufficient.

Hmm, perhaps grumpy luddites should stay off threads like this one ;)

Another Android user here.

I use the Under Armour Map My Walk/Run app. There is a free version which is quite good and it never nags you to upgrade. There are some links here and there if you wish to do so. There is no pressure to do so. I don't recall any popups. It pretty much does its job.

You can pause, save a workout, recall the workout, see workouts others have posted and other things. For free I think it is quite useful. It maps your journey and these are able to be imported into the Relive app and shared with others. My 2 oldest and I are going to do a section of the del Norte in August and we're sharing the training walks.

Relive is also good. We've used both but I'm older and find the May My Walk easier to use

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230602-124414_MapMyWalk.jpg
    Screenshot_20230602-124414_MapMyWalk.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230602-124424_MapMyWalk.jpg
    Screenshot_20230602-124424_MapMyWalk.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 6
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am searching for an iPhone app that does one thing only, does it well, and does it accurately, which is to track mileage along the Camino.

With the most popular apps, all too often they eventually/automatically go to into sleep mode and stop tracking miles. I am careful to configure iPhone settings to prevent sleep mode from happening, yet the issue persists. Also, I have no problem paying for a well designed app, but I have no interest in apps that nag the user to buy a subscription service.

I downloaded Srava which yiu can use for free or pay for. Found it to be accurate. Also tracks elevation.

I used Strava and i
Strava is very popular. The free version should do what you need. Also take a look at AllTrails. Users have created trail tracks for the entire route (Frances) and I think all the stages. I’ve used both for multi hour hikes or bike rides. I hope one of these work for you. Buen Camino!

Sample: Camino de Santiago in 28 Days: Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port - Finisterre on AllTrails
t worked very well!

I have used Ride with GPS for many years. It’s free and very easy to use. Maps function is excellent. Tracks your route and kilometres (miles) and you can label and save your days walk in the app’s library for future reference.
Edit - never goes into sleep mode.

Attachments

• IMG_6786.jpeg
    IMG_6786.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 3
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I use my Apple Watch paired with my iPhone and record my walk. Works very well and has been very accurate as long as your watch is fully charged at night.

On the Via Francigena I also need a map so I am using AllTrails for the map and am recording my walk as I go. What I love about it is it tells the distance and the time it took me from start to finish - but also tells me my time when I was actually moving (subtracting my rest breaks).

The free MAPY.cz app. Just ensure you put it in “Outdoor” mode. It also has just about every trail’s track including Caminos and you can download the areas you’ll be in so you don’t need to use data. Its “Tracker” when used automatically pauses measuring when you stop which many trackers do not. Very accurate in measuring distance and ascent / descent. Great hiking app.

Last edited:
Doesn't the distance between any given two points on the Camino remain the same? Tectonic shift does not impose on our temporal sojourn.

I think that the step-counter in the inbuilt "Health" app on my iPhone operates even in Airplane mode though I've rarely consulted it. If I want to know how far I need to walk to the next available Orujo or Bed I'll consult a guidebook or a map. If I want to know how far I've walked I'll consult my feet - the scale of some, enough, to far is sufficient.

Hmm, perhaps grumpy luddites should stay off threads like this one ;)
The app of which you speak that’s built-in to the iPhone it’s not very accurate. Both my wife and I go on the same walk and our individual iPhones give different mileages. Somehow the iPhone estimates your mileage… it’s certainly not done by GPS.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One thing that can affect accuracy is the length of time between an app's location lookups. I don't know what it is for Wikiloc and there is no way to set the time in your settings. On the other hand OSMand allows you to set the time from five minutes down to continuous as soon as you decide to start recording.

Edit: I've since used a text editor to examine one of my Wikiloc tracks. Time of day is recorded for each point in the track and they are recorded every 10 seconds. This would mean approximately every 44 feet or 14 meters using Google Maps walking speed.

Last edited:
One thing that can affect accuracy is the length of time between an app's location lookups. I don't know what it is for Wikiloc and there is no way to set the time in your settings. On the other hand OSMand allows you to set the time from five minutes down to continuous as soon as you decide to start recording.
I would think that having a continuous lookup would have a strong impact on battery life, wouldn't it?

We took a short walk after lunch and I decided to do an experiment. I started to record mileage on three apps, Wikiloc, OSMand and Mapy.cz (my first time using that one). Wikiloc records every ten seconds so I set OSMand to do the same. In Mapy I didn't see a time lookup value or a way to set one. Wikiloc and OSMand showed accumulated mileage along the way to two decimal points but Mapy to just one. The results were Mapy at 1.2 miles, Wikiloc at 1.26 and OSMand at 1.25. I'm guessing that Mapy would have shown 1.27 if it displayed hundredths of miles because when the display turned to 1.1 I saw that the other values were 1.09 and 1.08.

I wanted to save the Mapy track to see how long another app said Mapy's track was (also to see what its time lookup value was). I repeatedly got file save error messages though.

BTW, 1.26 miles is 2.03 km.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would think that having a continuous lookup would have a strong impact on battery life, wouldn't it?
I imagine so. I may test this on one of my out-and-back hikes. I can record it as two tracks with different GPS lookup values and compare the battery capacity after walking the same amount of time.

I
We took a short walk after lunch and I decided to do an experiment. I started to record mileage on three apps, Wikiloc, OSMand and Mapy.cz (my first time using that one). Wikiloc records every ten seconds so I set OSMand to do the same. In Mapy I didn't see a time lookup value or a way to set one. Wikiloc and OSMand showed accumulated mileage along the way to two decimal points but Mapy to just one. The results were Mapy at 1.2 miles, Wikiloc at 1.26 and OSMand at 1.25. I'm guessing that Mapy would have shown 1.27 if it displayed hundredths of miles because when the display turned to 1.1 I saw that the other values were 1.09 and 1.08.

I wanted to save the Mapy track to see how long another app said Mapy's track was (also to see what its time lookup value was). I repeatedly got file save error messages though.

BTW, 1.26 miles is 2.03 km.
I believe MAPY only allows you to save tracks if you setup an account (free). The plus to MAPY is that in OUTDOOR mode it has virtually every trail displayed on it and if you ask for the distance between locations it’ll assume trails. MAPY also has a setting that pauses tracking when you stop (lunch, etc.). If you are connected, it’ll also show the weather forecast for the days hike at the estimated times you should arrive.

I

I believe MAPY only allows you to save tracks if you setup an account (free). The plus to MAPY is that in OUTDOOR mode it has virtually every trail displayed on it and if you ask for the distance between locations it’ll assume trails. MAPY also has a setting that pauses tracking when you stop (lunch, etc.). If you are connected, it’ll also show the weather forecast for the days hike at the estimated times you should arrive.
I found mapy to be helpful the last couple of days while I walked an alternate coastal route from Santander on the Camino del Norte. Especially today as I needed directions to a place a bit inland, but wanted to stay on walking trails as much as possible.

I am quite pleased with "GPX Tracker." Records the route taken, distance, time, "current" speed. Tracks stored as GPX files that can be transferred to computer. Also allows adding waypoints to the GPX track. And it does keep tracking when the screen locks or when you invoke another app.

Downside 1: when you use the "pause" or "resume" button, you need to look at the screen and make sure your tap was recognized. For some reason it is not as sensitive as most iPhone controls.

Downside 2: Most of the time, it says accuracy is five meters or ten meters. I don't know whether Apple is to blame or the tracker, but often the truth is slightly larger than stated.

Downside 3 (trivial except to a purist): latitude, longitude, and altitude are stored in the GPX file with fifteen decimal places! (Five decimal places is less than a millimeter.)

Last edited:
Downside 3 (trivial except to a purist): latitude, longitude, and altitude are stored in the GPX file with fifteen decimal places! (Five decimal places is less than a millimeter.)
True for elevation but about a meter for latitude and less for longitude. I wouldn't consider myself a purist though as an accurate description would take longer.

True for elevation but about a meter for latitude and less for longitude. I wouldn't consider myself a purist though as an accurate description would take longer.
You're correct. I should have said meter instead of millimeter.

At the equator, a minute is a nautical mile—6076.11549 feet. So:
1687022137089.png
Latitude stays the same, but longitude gets smaller as we move toward the poles. Point is that the misleading precision bugs me. Few people look inside their GPX files, but fifteen meaningless digits per trackpoint amounts to a LOT of disk space when I walk/bike hour every day for years. But I still really like the app. I run a perl command on each file to chop off the wasted digits.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You're correct. I should have said meter instead of millimeter.

At the equator, a minute is a nautical mile—6076.11549 feet. So:
View attachment 149468
Latitude stays the same, but longitude gets smaller as we move toward the poles. Point is that the misleading precision bugs me. Few people look inside their GPX files, but fifteen meaningless digits per trackpoint amounts to a LOT of disk space when I walk/bike hour every day for years. But I still really like the app. I run a perl command on each file to chop off the wasted digits.
I come from the ‘looks about right to me’ school of measurement; but I do admire precision.

Few people look inside their GPX files, but fifteen meaningless digits per trackpoint amounts to a LOT of disk space when I walk/bike hour every day for years. [...] I run a perl command on each file to chop off the wasted digits.
I've edited tracks with both text editors and homemade Perl scripts. With the GPX Tracker app can you adjust how often a track point is recorded? That could save you more space.

I've edited tracks with both text editors and homemade Perl scripts. With the GPX Tracker app can you adjust how often a track point is recorded? That could save you more space.
With this one, I don't think so. But there are many ways to reduce it. https://gpsvisualizer, for example, has an option to discard points if they are less than ___ meters from the previous post (where you get to fill in the blank).

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
With this one, I don't think so. But there are many ways to reduce it. https://gpsvisualizer, for example, has an option to discard points if they are less than ___ meters from the previous post (where you get to fill in the blank.
Thank you. I've been a fan of gpsvisualizer for many years. I recommend that gps and map geeks give it a look. I haven't used it though in the last few years since my smartphone became my only internet access point.

I've posted many links to gpsvisualizer on the forum with great markups of maps. Unfortunately these are like dead links now for several years since the site owner has had to drop services he got free from Google when they started charging for clicks on links to his site where Google services got invoked.

I've posted many links to gpsvisualizer on the forum with great markups of maps. Unfortunately these are like dead links now for several years since the site owner has had to drop services he got free from Google when they started charging for clicks on links to his site where Google services got invoked.
If ever I think that one of my treks is worth sharing, I:
  • edit the .gpx file (if needed),
  • run a script that puts metadata for all the photos of the day into a spreadsheet,
  • edit the spreadsheet for POI data worth showing (as waypoints) in GPSVisualizer’s format
  • use GPSVisualizer to combine the spreadsheet and the .gpx file into a map
  • download the map
  • copy the map and the images (that the waypoints link to) into a directory on my website
Examples: https://happyhobo.net/20190412 & https://happyhobo.net/20160408
(the only two I haver ever put online)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.