• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Miming in lieu of Spanish

Bumpa

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Roncesvalles to Sahagun Oct 2016
Sahagun to SDC April 2017 Burgos to SDC April 2018
Greetings all. Well, on the 2nd of April, I am making my fourth trip to a Camino. This time I will be walking from Astorga to Santiago and then the loop from Santiago to Finnesterre, Muxia and back to Santiago. At 75 yrs, I am finding advancing years seem to be approaching ever more quickly in my rear view mirror. I now must ship some gear, at least periodically, as I have acquired a CPAP machine which weighs the same as a small motorcycle. My main issue in the past has been the wearing of two hearing aids and little hearing without them. Some years ago, while walking the Appalachian Trail in the USA, I was taking a shower in the outdoor facility at a hostel. Someone started rattling the shower curtain and yelling at me. No hearing aids, obviously and so I yelled back that I would be right out. The person continued yelling and I yelled back I'll be out soon and yanked backed the shower curtain. The man then yelled: "the building is on fire" Oh well...okay then.

I have read with some dismay that there are renovations to the Cathedral in Santiago and the botafumeiro will not be available. The last time I was in Santiago, I made sure I got to the Mass early. Got a good seat and practiced panning on the hanging botafumeiro and swinging my camera over my head to trace the arc of its travel. I sat through a long Mass, I am not catholic, in Spanish and so imagine my thoughts as the swinging commenced. The swing path was not towards me and over my head but down the other aisle and across my line of vision. I got a magnificent 1.5 seconds flash as it passed across the opening before my sight line. I moved into the other aisle where all of the more intelligent people had gathered. I got more of a view but suffered many small bruises from elbows and head butts from the churning group of humanity gathered there.

I have just enough of a grasp of Spanish to conduct daily business but when unusual occurances happen, I am lost. I thought that the Spanish word for that uncomfortable intestinal condition brought on by different food and too much coffee sounded very much the same in Spanish and English. Apparently not as I found out as four staff members of the pharmacia stood smiling as I mimed my condition and request. I will let you indulge your imagination. Needless to say I walked out with my head held high and hoping they thought that my face was usually that shade of red. Growing old is not for sissies but it beats the alternative.

Wish me well ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back