• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Miners Striking in Asturia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The miners are protesting along parts of the Camino del Norte, the San Salvador, the Vadiniense, and the Primitivo. Violence -- mostly rock-throwing by miners and tear-gassing by Guardia Civil -- is focused on road junctions and railway lines near to mining centers. None of it so far has involved injuries to civilians or pilgrims. I know a couple of pilgrims walking up in that area, and neither has said anything about the strikes.

I was north of La Robla a few days ago (on the San Salvador) and met up with a group of 120 or so strikers and their supporters, they were on a march south toward Leon. All of them were smiling and friendly people who asked for pilgrim prayers for their cause!

Rebekah
child of the mines

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.