• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mini video camera to record my walk - thoughts?

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
I am planning on getting a (second hand, cheaper) Dji Osmo Pocket video camera to record quite a bit of my walk on the CF later this year. Not just for me and posterity, but most of all for my elderly friend who has always wanted to walk it, but now will not be able to. She always loves getting photos and short video clips from the beauty spots, but I use poles, so can't record in any useful way on my mobile while I walk. I thought with this tiny camera mounted on (or popped into the tiny mesh pocket on) the shoulder straps of my backpack, I would be able to record a lot more of the walk, and with much more stable and easy to watch video. I would love to be able to send her hours of video for her to daydream to, either day to day or after I get home and have edited them down.

Yes I know it's another gadget, and yes I know I can use my mobile and yes I know some will probably want to tell me to leave it and just be in the moment, but that is just the point - I want to share my walk with her without constantly thinking about camera stuff while I am actually walking.

So I guess what I am asking, is - have you used one, or a similar one, how did you find it, is there anything I should be aware of, top tips etc? What did you use to edit the footage, if anything, and how did you find the sound quality? I am thinking the headset that came with my mobile, with a simple microphone, might be enough? Any tips or comments very much appreciated!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here is a link to a Camino Veterans set up.
Its vastly different from your needs, but... he has used some of the gear you mentioned to create a lovely and lively set of videos.

I wish you the best of results!!!

Thank you, yes I enjoy watching Efrén's videos and have seen his kit ones but just ... not watched them as he has way too much gear. And this is something I have only recently started looking into, so thank you for the link!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am planning on getting a (second hand, cheaper) Dji Osmo Pocket video camera to record quite a bit of my walk on the CF later this year. Not just for me and posterity, but most of all for my elderly friend who has always wanted to walk it, but now will not be able to. She always loves getting photos and short video clips from the beauty spots, but I use poles, so can't record in any useful way on my mobile while I walk. I thought with this tiny camera mounted on (or popped into the tiny mesh pocket on) the shoulder straps of my backpack, I would be able to record a lot more of the walk, and with much more stable and easy to watch video. I would love to be able to send her hours of video for her to daydream to, either day to day or after I get home and have edited them down.

Yes I know it's another gadget, and yes I know I can use my mobile and yes I know some will probably want to tell me to leave it and just be in the moment, but that is just the point - I want to share my walk with her without constantly thinking about camera stuff while I am actually walking.

So I guess what I am asking, is - have you used one, or a similar one, how did you find it, is there anything I should be aware of, top tips etc? What did you use to edit the footage, if anything, and how did you find the sound quality? I am thinking the headset that came with my mobile, with a simple microphone, might be enough? Any tips or comments very much appreciated!
What a lovely present for your friend! I've no experience of the Dji Osmo but like the idea of having gimbal stabilisation - I've seen too much footage from action cams where you "feel" every plodding footstep taken by the operator!
Not sure your phone mic will be enough plus they are susceptable to wind noise. I just use a smartphone in a Ulanzi rig (too big for your needs) with a Boya MY-MM1 mic plugged in (about £20 in the UK and you get both types of connector TRS and TRRS) for my video needs nowadays.
I see you can get a screw in cold shoe to mount an external mic without taking up much more space:

1622205177751.png
you might want to look at furry wind protectors instead of foam.

But don't forget the traveller's adage: don't take anything with you you'd be afraid to lose! (Or, if you do, keep it safe!)

Final word "hours and hours" of walking can end up being quite monotonous - aim for short, snappy takes and look for the unusual!

Good luck!

Thank you, @Jeff Crawley, that is good info! Yes, I was thinking about getting a furry thing as long as it's light and small, will test out the mikes I have and see what I need in windy conditions. As for loong takes along the meseta etc, I know it can get monotonous, but over 4 weeks there will be hours of footage one way or the other so I still think a separate video cam is worth it. If nothing else, it won't drain my mobile battery, and I can top up the footage with stills and clips of albergue life - she would never have been able to sleep in them, so I shall (happily) do it for her. I also like that the Osmo is so small and light and will literally fit in my pocket when not in use.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had taken my OSMO Pocket on my CF, but rarely used it.
The Videos from my Canon G7x are so good, that I didn't need it.

The OSMO Pocket definetly need a small tripod, that can be used as a handle. I've bought one recently from Rollei for only 10€ and it feel much more comfortable and less shaky.

HTH

BC
Roland

Could I recommend the DJI Osmo Action instead? I've got one and use it skiing. Tiny - fits in palm of hand. Fantastic stabilization - as good as a gimbal. Voice control. Can control from a great phone app. In my opinion its a much better shape than the Osmo pocket. I bought it after returning a GoPro - found the app very slow and unresponsive and the remote control from phone didn't work out for me at all

Osmo Pocket for the win. I have a tripod the I use two ways. One is just as a tripod. The other as an adapter for a selfie stick. I used electrical tape to attach a ¼" bolt to the end of my walking stick and then used the side mount on the tripod to hang the Osmo. A 2" bolt keeps the stick tip out of the photo. The weight of the tripod acts as a counter balance that keeps the osmo pointed ahead when I lift it high or low. Good luck.20210528_065448.jpg20210528_065515.jpg20210528_065734.jpg20210528_065833.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I saw someone using an Osmo just yesterday! I think you’ve already gotten more technical advice but this is a GoPro9. I have a chest harness and a bike mount but just holding it in my hand here.

Andreas Canyon, Palm Springs, CA 5/7/21

I’m just experimenting so I don’t know what it’d be like to record day on day and am not actively planning to do so. But I love what you wrote. It’s been fascinating and fun to review even little clips of video footage and send to friends/family.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m just experimenting so I don’t know what it’d be like to record day on day
Me too, I just really want to do this and have to figure out how. I have to say I like the tiny Osmo and I can't wait to see if it fits in the mesh pocket on the shoulder strap of my Osprey Tempest ... if not, I'll have to start looking into ways of fixing it to the pack or me somehow. Thanks for the kind words - I tried to walk a part of the camino with my friend many years ago but she was too weak even then, so the best I can hope for is to take her to Santiago for a hotel weekend. I hope a video can give her a better idea of what it is like.

Me too, I just really want to do this and have to figure out how. I have to say I like the tiny Osmo and I can't wait to see if it fits in the mesh pocket on the shoulder strap of my Osprey Tempest ... if not, I'll have to start looking into ways of fixing it to the pack or me somehow. Thanks for the kind words - I tried to walk a part of the camino with my friend many years ago but she was too weak even then, so the best I can hope for is to take her to Santiago for a hotel weekend. I hope a video can give her a better idea of what it is like.
How about this?

1622213608160.png

On eBay, where else?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just as an addition to my previous reply...

This guy compares the Osmo Action to the Pocket.

If I remember correctly... When I was doing my homework on which one to buy, the consensus was that the software stabilization on the Action was as good as the actual gimbal in the Pocket - and much more robust. The Action has the same mount as the GoPro so all the accessories fit - I bought a jumbo pack on Amazon of tons of mounts for around 10 or 20 euros - there's one you can attach to shoulder strap of backpack - bit like the police use.

Oh and don't forget spare batteries... I got a kit on Amazon on sale - came with camera, charger and 3 batteries for not much extra than just camera alone.

Last edited:
I

I still to pen and paper
and memory

im using 4K Fimi palm which is similar to DJI OSMO.... the mobile app does not connect but its 100$ less than DJI OSMO when it came out. I have a backup GoPro for stationary video recording walk. I have a 10-ft 200g monopod stick to simulate a mini-drone shot.

I totally agree with @Jeff Crawley about the potential of shakiness. After watching an independent film (at a festival) made with a mobile phone I was unwell for two days. It was like the worst motion sickness ever, yet I have no problems on rough ferry crossings or trains. I also agree that short bits with slowish panning is best. In any case, @nidarosa, this is a lovely and generous thing you're doing for your friend. Buen camino!

There is a lot of advice on exactly this on u-tube, mostly by US long distance hikers and also by a few Camino pilgrims. A dash cam might be the simplest answer?

Follow Efren Gonzales blogs on YouTube. I'm using my phone, charger and the Relive App. Easy to use , affordable and light weght.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I own the DJI Osmo Pocket, it takes great photos and 4K video, it is small. Having said that I have put it on my backpack and found it is too big and clumsy even as small as it is because I've not found a way to make it stable while attached to my backpack. My other issue is it is delicate and would not take even a minor fall (I know, I dropped mine 3 feet onto carpet and it damaged it so that every third or fourth time I turn it on it won't. I have to squeeze the end mounts of the lens in order for it to work. This is a known problem.

I think there is a better one called Insta360 G0 2. I have not purchased this yet, but I will soon and, I will take both cameras with me. The Insta360 GO 2 does not take 4K, but 2.5K. What makes it better IMHO is its' size and the way it can be mounted anywhere, seriously, anywhere and it is tough, waterproof and can be used to record video underwater. It has its' negative points, the battery life is 30 minutes on a good day when outside of its' case, 2.5 hours when in its' case. To learn more about it goto YouTube and search Insta360 GO 2 and you'll find a lot of reviews and you'll see what I am talking about.

Both have their pluses and minuses and I will take both using them in different scenarios and because they're both small they're easily transportable.

Finally, I think it is a great thing you are doing for your friend.

I have an Osmo Pocket 2 and love it. I’ve got a flashlight holster I use to carry it in when hiking. The extension rod is a useful and light accessory. There is a wireless mic if you’re worried about sound quality.
Ps. If you’re serious about making interesting videos, there are lots of good tutorials on YouTube and you’ll find that you won’t be using it much mounted on your backpack.

I own the DJI Osmo Pocket, it takes great photos and 4K video, it is small. Having said that I have put it on my backpack and found it is too big and clumsy even as small as it is because I've not found a way to make it stable while attached to my backpack. My other issue is it is delicate and would not take even a minor fall (I know, I dropped mine 3 feet onto carpet and it damaged it so that every third or fourth time I turn it on it won't. I have to squeeze the end mounts of the lens in order for it to work. This is a known problem.

I think there is a better one called Insta360 G0 2. I have not purchased this yet, but I will soon and, I will take both cameras with me. The Insta360 GO 2 does not take 4K, but 2.5K. What makes it better IMHO is its' size and the way it can be mounted anywhere, seriously, anywhere and it is tough, waterproof and can be used to record video underwater. It has its' negative points, the battery life is 30 minutes on a good day when outside of its' case, 2.5 hours when in its' case. To learn more about it goto YouTube and search Insta360 GO 2 and you'll find a lot of reviews and you'll see what I am talking about.

Both have their pluses and minuses and I will take both using them in different scenarios and because they're both small they're easily transportable.

Sounds like the DJI Osmo Action would be perfect for you? Why the insta 360? It's optimised for 360 degree video. Make sure that's what you want! I tried a GoPro 360 - great idea in theory. An absolute nightmare in reality. Took hours to process the output into regular footage.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

You may find that if you attach a continuously recording video camera to your pack that you might be shunned by people who don't want their privacy invaded in such a gross manner.

you might be shunned by people who don't want their privacy invaded in such a gross manner.
That's a very good point, I am hoping I will be able to walk some stretches more or less alone and will take care not to include others in the footage. In fact I normally do avoid getting pilgrims in my photos (unless they walk into them), so I hadn't specifically thought about that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have put it on my backpack and found it is too big and clumsy even as small as it is because I've not found a way to make it stable while attached to my backpack.
A friend with the same pack has already confirmed that it does fit in the small mesh pocket, if that works, I think I would prefer it to an external mount. Thanks for sharing your experience!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good to know, I hadn't considered it as I will be using my poles but food for thought.
Besides the obvious use for selfies, it’s also good for shots from down low and up high. The joystick allows you to move the gimbal, something you can’t do with a generic selfie stick. The gimbal tracking allows you to get crane type shots, something you can’t do with a GoPro or smart phone.

One weakness of the Pocket is that the battery is built in, so you can’t carry a spare. If you’re going to do lots of recording you’ll need to carry charging brick or stick.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I totally agree with @Jeff Crawley about the potential of shakiness. After watching an independent film (at a festival) made with a mobile phone I was unwell for two days. It was like the worst motion sickness ever, yet I have no problems on rough ferry crossings or trains. I also agree that short bits with slowish panning is best. In any case, @nidarosa, this is a lovely and generous thing you're doing for your friend. Buen camino!
Absolutely no shakiness with modern action cameras/GoPros - if anything the smoothness can look at bit unrealistic.

I haven’t used a DJI Osmo Action or the 360 GoPro, but matching a camera to an app for uploading could yes be a very slow process. Hours. If I brought my camera I think I’d bring a usb power cord and a handful of sd cards and review the footage on a laptop w/a mini sd USB adapter back at home. I don’t love using my camera around other hikers but I suspect many people don’t care or notice much. Experiences of course would be personal and varying!

so i just tested my fimi palm extensively during mem day weekend hike in a canyon state park. Fimi palm mounted on a 10-ft mono-pod acted like a drone especially on cliffs, stability was awesome and when mounted on a backpack, i seemed to forget that it was there, there was a 10-min video-cut on a continous recording but it starts right away so stitching it on a video editor would not be a problem. Overall, both the Fimi palm and the mono-pod are very light that i'm excited for my Camino Del norte this year plus an almost 2-hour battery would make the recharging less of a hassle.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I just purchased an Insta360 Go 2 and so far I am very impressed with it. The 30 minute record time is not an issue for me as I like to record short clips. When you put it back in the case (about the size of an airpods case), it recharges. I'm going to take it hiking next week and see if I'm still happy with it.

About the right size to catch a few pictures...

Attachments

• 20210923_231918.jpg
    20210923_231918.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.