• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Minimalist Packing

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
Well I started my first Camino with 10K in an Osprey Talon 44L. Over subsequent Caminos it got down to 6K in an Osprey Remote 25L. Yesterday I walked a trial 20K with my latest idea, an Osprey Talon 6L lumbar pack which has 2x600ml shaped bottles on the hips. I have my toiletries, towel, silk liner, emergency kit, phone charger, gloves, buff and shopping bag in the pockets. With my sandals in a dry bag and one set of clothes in another (both attached with carabiners), and my waterproof attached in it's own bag the whole thing is comfortable (I was wearing my shell, but in good weather this would be looped across being held in place by the spiders web. It worked very well and I hardly felt the weight (3K includes a shell jacket and waterproof one). Note that the shopping bag is a SeatoSummit daybag weighing only 38g that packs into an incredibly small space. My Lumbar pack can go into this bag as cabin baggage. So my project has worked! :) It's a great feeling having my shoulders and back unencumbered. I found that it improved my posture with all the weight on my hips I seemed to have a more heads up walk than normal. So that's that then, just need to decide where and when next! I'm a very happy little bunny! :):):)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Excellent news, Al! I am very impressed and was hoping for news of your experiment. Since I managed to get my entire packing list into a 20 litre (Osprey here too, a Tempest) pack I have been very tempted to take it out for an all day spin. What is it that feels so scary about carrying little? Next time I hit the Wirral Way I shall put my Camino gear in the 20 L and see if there will still be room for lunch and water ...

I'm a great believer in supporting the local economy along the Camino so I tend to not carry more than spearmint and raisins in the waist pouch. But the day bag can hold whatever I need when I want to have a picnic.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I agree wholeheartedly, when I am in Spain I enjoy eating and drinking when the opportunity arises, but I need my lunch on the Wirral Way ... :D

Al, could you take a picture of your setup? I'm having a little trouble visualizing how it fits together.

I'd love to see a photo too. I've just googled the Talon you refer to and it's basically a large bum-bag, right? If I understood correctly, you will clip several items and bags to this bum-bag. Won't the constant swinging back and forth of those items drive you crazy? (I know it would me).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd love to see a photo too. I've just googled the Talon you refer to and it's basically a large bum-bag, right? If I understood correctly, you will clip several items and bags to this bum-bag. Won't the constant swinging back and forth of those items drive you crazy? (I know it would me).

I was wondering the same thing.

Photo please, Al. I'm having trouble picturing this but it sounds impressive.

Pictures as requested. Nothing moves while walking as careful selection of dry bags and clipping of them makes them secure. It was an epiphany moment when I trialled it!

Attachments

• 1414143560459812590559.jpg
    1414143560459812590559.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 176
  • 14141436005331055044922.jpg
    14141436005331055044922.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 169
  • 1414143836903312273073.jpg
    1414143836903312273073.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 170
  • 1414143959711501135424.jpg
    1414143959711501135424.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That is great Al and it looks like everything is secure. I don't think I could go with quite that small of a kit myself as I really feel the need for a sleeping bag. (September/October time frame.)

Pictures as requested. Nothing moves while walking as careful selection of dry bags and clipping of them makes them secure. It was an epiphany moment when I trialled it!
Congratulations, that looks like a work of art!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tiny tiny!! Hey Al - noticed your pics were about 2.5 Mbs each! If you download the free pixresizer at http://pixresizer.en.softonic.com/ you can quickly and simply reduce them to internet usable size.
Also - when you upload a photo file on here .. when it has uploaded you will see the button "full image" click on that and your photos will appear full size in your posting rather than as thumbnails

Buen Camino!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
. Yesterday I walked a trial 20K with my latest idea, an Osprey Talon 6L lumbar pack which has 2x600ml shaped bottles on the hips.
I think I'll take this challenge and pack with my ancient Marmot Highlander lumbar bag for our next weekend trip to Seattle. It will not be weather tested or walked much with but will be packed with essentials. One change of clothes, bathroom kit, iPhone and charger, rainwear. Now if I could only get my dog's packweight down a bit... (what she brings for a weekend trip, not what she weighs - 135lb)

I think I'll take this challenge and pack with my ancient Marmot Highlander lumbar bag for our next weekend trip to Seattle. It will not be weather tested or walked much with but will be packed with essentials. One change of clothes, bathroom kit, iPhone and charger, rainwear. Now if I could only get my dog's packweight down a bit... (what she brings for a weekend trip, not what she weighs - 135lb)
I see your 135 and raise you 152lbs...A Turkish Anatolian Shephard :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm waiting for someone to use one of these.
L37161600_1.jpg

I'm waiting for someone to use one of these.

Funny you should mention that. :p I have the same bag and was strongly considering taking it on the CdF this summer. It's worked for me for 10 day ultras before, and the Frances has many, many more stops that rural Tennessee. However, now I'm looking at the Norte or the Madrid, I've decided to upgrade to a 20L Osprey.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well I started my first Camino with 10K in an Osprey Talon 44L. Over subsequent Caminos it got down to 6K in an Osprey Remote 25L. Yesterday I walked a trial 20K with my latest idea, an Osprey Talon 6L lumbar pack which has 2x600ml shaped bottles on the hips. I have my toiletries, towel, silk liner, emergency kit, phone charger, gloves, buff and shopping bag in the pockets. With my sandals in a dry bag and one set of clothes in another (both attached with carabiners), and my waterproof attached in it's own bag the whole thing is comfortable (I was wearing my shell, but in good weather this would be looped across being held in place by the spiders web. It worked very well and I hardly felt the weight (3K includes a shell jacket and waterproof one). Note that the shopping bag is a SeatoSummit daybag weighing only 38g that packs into an incredibly small space. My Lumbar pack can go into this bag as cabin baggage. So my project has worked! :) It's a great feeling having my shoulders and back unencumbered. I found that it improved my posture with all the weight on my hips I seemed to have a more heads up walk than normal. So that's that then, just need to decide where and when next! I'm a very happy little bunny! :):):)
Al, I'm wondering if you were inspired at all by this thread from last year?

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back