• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Minimalist shoes on the Camino Portguese (cobblestones - yes, I'm obsessed)

katie@camino

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPDP-Finisterre 2016;CP (Central) Porto-SdC 2017;CP (Coastal) Porto-SdC 2018;CF Leon-SdC 2019
Hi all,

I've started walking in some Vivobarefoots and actually quite love them - really keen to strengthen my feet and legs and help my overall alignment. I am really comfortable in zero drop shoes - getting more comfortable with such thin/minimal soles.

However, I am walking the Camino Portuguese (probably Coastal) in July. And the combination of cobblestones and 'barefoot' shoes has me a bit worried. Has anyone walked the Camino Portuguese in minimal/barefoot shoes? And if so, how did it/you/your knees/feet/ankles find it?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all,

I've started walking in some Vivobarefoots and actually quite love them - really keen to strengthen my feet and legs and help my overall alignment. I am really comfortable in zero drop shoes - getting more comfortable with such thin/minimal soles.

However, I am walking the Camino Portuguese (probably Coastal) in July. And the combination of cobblestones and 'barefoot' shoes has me a bit worried. Has anyone walked the Camino Portuguese in minimal/barefoot shoes? And if so, how did it/you/your knees/feet/ankles find it?

Hi Katie,

I walked from SJPDP-Santiago in 2016 in minimalist NB trail runners. I was miserable because of the rocks and pavement. Because of the soles, I felt every single rock and pebble! I ended up walking most of the way in my Chaco sandals. They had much better soles and since I had strong ankles, I didn't have any issues with sandals.

I don't know how the Portuguese compares trail wise. I live on the coast of NC and walk everyday in the summer in Chaco sandals. From pictures, the coastal camino appears to be on broadwalks which would be fine w/hiking shoes or sandals. However, once you are off of it, you will have some elevation going into Santiago. I have a friend who will be walking mid-July from Lisbon to Fatima, the coastal and then into Santiago. I can get more info from her regarding the trails. I know that she will take her Chacos and another pair of shoes.

Buen Camino,
Debra

Hi Katie,

I have a pair of Xero Shoes Z-Trail sandals that are similar. I am good for about 8-10 miles urban walking on pavements/roads until my feet start complaining. In contrast, if I'm walking with Teva Terra FI Lites or running shoes with some padding my feet are good for about 20 miles and its the rest of me that complains. Are you comfortable walking camino type distances with the added weight of a rucksack in your Vivobarefoots?

My memory is hazy but I don't remember the much feared cobblestones on the CP. There were quite a lot of smooth (often slippery) patterned pavements made of very small stones where Vivobarefoots would be fine. I do have vivid memories of the endless baking hot gravel roads in the Lisbon to Porto stretch that would have been quite hard going in Vivobarefoots because of the sharp stones (I had no problems in Teva Terra FI Lites).

Helen

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi maybe we will see each other along the Cammino ;-):- but i will be on the Central cammino. I think this one has a lot of asphalt ..road like sections ...which i tend to avoid if possible...i guess they will hard on you... have a backup Shoe for Hot & hard surfaces! Bom Cammino ! Ultreya ;-)

If you are starting from Porto it would be are fine.
I did CP this April and 2 days before Porto I got hit with tendon issues on my left foot (heel). Managed to finished the Camino (slowly). I was walking with hiking shoes (ditched my trail shoes after the first day due to the heavy rain in April). It could be just me but I find that the stretch from Coimbra to Porto to be bad when it comes to the hard cobblestone (especially if you add the elevation to the cobblestone. It is also where I got issues with my tendons).

I did not wear minimalist shoes but my New Balance shoes with really thick sole that look untouched after whole Camino Frances, were rally worn down on basalt cobblestone on Camino Portugues last year. I love minimalist shoes but for this kind of walking, I learnt the thicker and more cushioned sole, the better.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Running shoes and trail running shoes are a bit different in construction. The primary thing to look for is whether or not the shoe has a 'rock plate' built into the sole of the shoe ... usually in the midsole. The rock plate is a thin, flexible, light, yet resilient plastic or composite material which keeps the sharp and 'spiky' and the blunt debris laying on or embedded in, the road or trail from bruising the sole of your foot.

Trail runners usually have a thicker and more resilient cushioning, as well as a beefier motion control. The weight difference is about 4 ounces per pair of difference between the runner vs the trail runner. Keep in mind that a trail runner will also work well on asphalt, but not necessarily the other way around.

Hi Katie,

I walked from SJPDP-Santiago in 2016 in minimalist NB trail runners. I was miserable because of the rocks and pavement. Because of the soles, I felt every single rock and pebble! I ended up walking most of the way in my Chaco sandals. They had much better soles and since I had strong ankles, I didn't have any issues with sandals.

I don't know how the Portuguese compares trail wise. I live on the coast of NC and walk everyday in the summer in Chaco sandals. From pictures, the coastal camino appears to be on broadwalks which would be fine w/hiking shoes or sandals. However, once you are off of it, you will have some elevation going into Santiago. I have a friend who will be walking mid-July from Lisbon to Fatima, the coastal and then into Santiago. I can get more info from her regarding the trails. I know that she will take her Chacos and another pair of shoes.

Buen Camino,
Debra
Thanks so much Debra.

Totally share your love for Chacos! I will have a pair with me on my next Camino. Last week, on a 0 degree morning at the local growers market, one of the stallholders expressed incredulity as to my outfit - thick tights, woollen scarf and puffer jacket but with Chacos sandals, no socks. I just LOVE Chacos. Wear them as often as possible!

I walked the CP Central route last year so am familiar with the terrain - just don't know how the mix of vivos and cobblestones will go - at least I'll have my Chacos!

Hi Katie,

I have a pair of Xero Shoes Z-Trail sandals that are similar. I am good for about 8-10 miles urban walking on pavements/roads until my feet start complaining. In contrast, if I'm walking with Teva Terra FI Lites or running shoes with some padding my feet are good for about 20 miles and its the rest of me that complains. Are you comfortable walking camino type distances with the added weight of a rucksack in your Vivobarefoots?

My memory is hazy but I don't remember the much feared cobblestones on the CP. There were quite a lot of smooth (often slippery) patterned pavements made of very small stones where Vivobarefoots would be fine. I do have vivid memories of the endless baking hot gravel roads in the Lisbon to Porto stretch that would have been quite hard going in Vivobarefoots because of the sharp stones (I had no problems in Teva Terra FI Lites).

Helen
Thanks Helen. Food for thought - I haven't walked that far with a backpack in my Vivos...yet! The night after going for a walk in my Vivos I often get a tingling sensation in my feet - which I love! It tells me my feet are 'waking up'.

I don't think your memory is hazy - those smooth, patterned pavements are the 'cobblestones' that I'm referring to. I have learned from this forum that more accurate terminology for them is 'granite setts'. So you think your Xero Shoes Z-Trail (which I have looked into) would be ok on them?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you are starting from Porto it would be are fine.
I did CP this April and 2 days before Porto I got hit with tendon issues on my left foot (heel). Managed to finished the Camino (slowly). I was walking with hiking shoes (ditched my trail shoes after the first day due to the heavy rain in April). It could be just me but I find that the stretch from Coimbra to Porto to be bad when it comes to the hard cobblestone (especially if you add the elevation to the cobblestone. It is also where I got issues with my tendons).
Thanks Evan - I have heard that the Lisbon-Porto stretch is a bit rough with so many hard surfaces - I hope you were able to still enjoy your slower Camino!

I did not wear minimalist shoes but my New Balance shoes with really thick sole that look untouched after whole Camino Frances, were rally worn down on basalt cobblestone on Camino Portugues last year. I love minimalist shoes but for this kind of walking, I learnt the thicker and more cushioned sole, the better.
Thanks, that's what I'm leaning towards too...

Running shoes and trail running shoes are a bit different in construction. The primary thing to look for is whether or not the shoe has a 'rock plate' built into the sole of the shoe ... usually in the midsole. The rock plate is a thin, flexible, light, yet resilient plastic or composite material which keeps the sharp and 'spiky' and the blunt debris laying on or embedded in, the road or trail from bruising the sole of your foot.

Trail runners usually have a thicker and more resilient cushioning, as well as a beefier motion control. The weight difference is about 4 ounces per pair of difference between the runner vs the trail runner. Keep in mind that a trail runner will also work well on asphalt, but not necessarily the other way around.
Thankyou - have used trail runners with significant heel drop on past two Caminos - was pretty happy with them at the time but am looking to go a bit more minimal these days. Hoping to ward off some knee pain by having better alignment.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Zero-drop, thy name is Altra. And just for you they have just redesigned the Olympus 3.0, with a really thick sole (still zero drop) to make those cobblestones go away. Try the older 2.5 as well (slightly thicker cushion actually). I wore the Altra Timps on the CP, but not on the cobblestones (they were just a bit thin for that). My wife reports that her Hoka Bondi 5 floated over the cobblestones, but Hokas are not zero-drop.

Hi,
I walked CP from Lisbon to Santiago Sept. 17 , be prepared to walk on paved roads on the Portugal section and cobblestones on Spanish section. Many pilgrims were complaining about that.
Bon chemin!

Thanks Helen. Food for thought - I haven't walked that far with a backpack in my Vivos...yet! The night after going for a walk in my Vivos I often get a tingling sensation in my feet - which I love! It tells me my feet are 'waking up'.

I don't think your memory is hazy - those smooth, patterned pavements are the 'cobblestones' that I'm referring to. I have learned from this forum that more accurate terminology for them is 'granite setts'. So you think your Xero Shoes Z-Trail (which I have looked into) would be ok on them?
The setts (quite right) are cubes cut from large blocks of granite (actually saw a labourer sitting on the road and chipping them to size/shape) so are quite abrasive - not smoothed off like say the Camino distance markers. They have the advantage of not being as slippery as cobbles (naturally round stones) which are a hazard when wet. But, if your soles are in good condition I doubt if you'd wear them out on the CP.
As to comfort however, I wear a similar shoe when kayaking and there's no way I'd use them for significant distances.
This year, after advice from this site, I caminoed for the first in trail runners on the Ingles and was perfectly happy in them. I would certainly use them on the CP.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am over half way done the Francés route wearing my beloved barefoot shoes. They were great for the first few days and I quite liked being able to feel the rocks underfoot—like a free foot massage. I soon realized that my arches and tendons were not prepared for day after day of long distances and the extra weight of my pack. After about 15 km, I started to experience pain and swelling. Perhaps if I had started out very slowly, and then added more kms each day, I’d be fine. I really wanted to do the whole thing in my barefoots. Due to pain, I ended up bussing a few stretches that had a lot of pavement and this helped, although was not part of my original plan I finally bought some Teva hiking sandals in Astorga and those are giving me some relief. I’ll likeky switch back and forth between the sandals and the barefoots for the rest —and allow for shorter days as needed.

Hi Katie, I’ve never understood all these posts about walking on cobblestones. There are LOTS of cobblestones in Portugal. Maybe it’s because I’m a “boot” person? I just don’t feel them.
Jill

I can't speak about the Camino Portugués specifically, but walking the CF from SJPdP in fairly minimalist Merrell trail runners destroyed my feet. I loved those shoes and had had no problems with them before. I'd even run a trail half-marathon in them through the Swiss Alps.

I bought a new pair of the same model specifically for the Camino, but on Day 1 I developed plantar fasciitis, and a year later I still haven't gotten rid of it. I was in almost unbearable pain for the first 30 days of that Camino.

I tried lots of different things (insoles, taping, stretching, massaging, etc.), but the only thing that worked for me in the end was Crocs. After reading recommendations online from other people who had suffered from plantar fasciitis while hiking, I bought a pair of Crocs in León and walked the last 334 kms in those.

They were brilliant and saved my Camino, although the plantar fasciitis never completely went away. I still felt it if I walked long distances. One year later, I've just returned from walking the Camino Primitivo. This time, for whatever reason, the Crocs didn't keep the plantar fasciitis pain away. Instead, I wore a pair of Brooks trainers with extra insoles and arch supports. I have high arches, so the arch supports were key for me.

I liked the idea of minimalist shoes, but they just didn't work for me on the Camino, so I won't be going back to them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wear Vibram Fivefinger most days and other shoes next to never.

I wear boots to walk and Vibrams the rest of the time, I have tried to walk in the the Vibram Fivefinger and I could not get my feet hardened enough past five km.

Modern boots are light and good for all day walking.

Jon

Zero-drop, thy name is Altra. And just for you they have just redesigned the Olympus 3.0, with a really thick sole (still zero drop) to make those cobblestones go away. Try the older 2.5 as well (slightly thicker cushion actually). I wore the Altra Timps on the CP, but not on the cobblestones (they were just a bit thin for that). My wife reports that her Hoka Bondi 5 floated over the cobblestones, but Hokas are not zero-drop.
Thanks! I just ordered a pair each of Altra Timps and Superior. Will give them a try!

I am over half way done the Francés route wearing my beloved barefoot shoes. They were great for the first few days and I quite liked being able to feel the rocks underfoot—like a free foot massage. I soon realized that my arches and tendons were not prepared for day after day of long distances and the extra weight of my pack. After about 15 km, I started to experience pain and swelling. Perhaps if I had started out very slowly, and then added more kms each day, I’d be fine. I really wanted to do the whole thing in my barefoots. Due to pain, I ended up bussing a few stretches that had a lot of pavement and this helped, although was not part of my original plan I finally bought some Teva hiking sandals in Astorga and those are giving me some relief. I’ll likeky switch back and forth between the sandals and the barefoots for the rest —and allow for shorter days as needed.
Hi Donna, I'm so sorry you experienced such pain in your minimalists - I totally get the desire to wear them the whole way. Sounds like you made a good decision getting the Tevas though. I hope the rest of your Camino is far less painful and much more fulfilling.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Katie, I’ve never understood all these posts about walking on cobblestones. There are LOTS of cobblestones in Portugal. Maybe it’s because I’m a “boot” person? I just don’t feel them.
Jill
Hey Jill - you're so lucky! I remember them only too well from the CP last year.

I can't speak about the Camino Portugués specifically, but walking the CF from SJPdP in fairly minimalist Merrell trail runners destroyed my feet. I loved those shoes and had had no problems with them before. I'd even run a trail half-marathon in them through the Swiss Alps.

I bought a new pair of the same model specifically for the Camino, but on Day 1 I developed plantar fasciitis, and a year later I still haven't gotten rid of it. I was in almost unbearable pain for the first 30 days of that Camino.

I tried lots of different things (insoles, taping, stretching, massaging, etc.), but the only thing that worked for me in the end was Crocs. After reading recommendations online from other people who had suffered from plantar fasciitis while hiking, I bought a pair of Crocs in León and walked the last 334 kms in those.

They were brilliant and saved my Camino, although the plantar fasciitis never completely went away. I still felt it if I walked long distances. One year later, I've just returned from walking the Camino Primitivo. This time, for whatever reason, the Crocs didn't keep the plantar fasciitis pain away. Instead, I wore a pair of Brooks trainers with extra insoles and arch supports. I have high arches, so the arch supports were key for me.

I liked the idea of minimalist shoes, but they just didn't work for me on the Camino, so I won't be going back to them.
Hi Wendy, amazing that you can do a half marathon in minimalists but not the Camino - or maybe we underestimate the constant, daily wear on our feet, especially when loaded with a pack. I'm so sorry to hear that you're having long term pain with your feet. I experienced the same with my left knee - damaged it on the CF in 2016 (well it was probably inevitable since my knee recon in 2007) and it has never been quite the same. We carry a bit of the Camino on with us, I guess! I hope your foot problems ease up.

I wear Vibram Fivefinger most days and other shoes next to never.

I wear boots to walk and Vibrams the rest of the time, I have tried to walk in the the Vibram Fivefinger and I could not get my feet hardened enough past five km.

Modern boots are light and good for all day walking.

Jon
This is so helpful, thanks Jon, to know that even a seasoned barefoot-er struggles with them on the Camino. I'm giving up the minimalist Camino dream!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Would these provide the necessary cushioning underfoot? ;)

https://www.teva.co.uk/1018565.html...#icid=hp_banner_sale_S18_50&start=2&cgid=sale

They’d give me vertigo!

I have just found a nearly new pair of Chacos in the bottom of my wardrobe. :rolleyes:
They’d been languishing there, with my old(ish) Ecco walking sandals ...

I do have far too many pairs of walking sandals, but wear one of my Merrell Siennas/Sandspurs/Terran, Tevas(2) or Reefs everyday ... until forced into boots by falling temperatures.
I took teva originals and wore them occasionally.
I think I’d walk in my Teva Terra Fi now ... tough, wide and grippy.

Thanks! I just ordered a pair each of Altra Timps and Superior. Will give them a try!
i find the sole on the Superior too thick, almost like you are sitting on the shoe rather than in it. However the Timps, Lone Peak and King Mountain are all glorious shoes to wear over long distance.

Hi all,

Hi,

I did the Frances 2 years ago in barefoot shoes. I trained in them at home and was sure they would be great. What I hadn’t factored in was the day after day after day with little recovery time and the extra weight of my pack. I discovered I could only do about 10 km without my tendons screaming. Since I needed to do closer to 18-20 km per day, I was in a lot of pain and needed to stop and rest a lot. (I didn’t mind the feel of the stones and pebbles.) I iced a lot and walked really slow. At about 2/3 of the way, I finally stopped being stubborn and got some hiking sandals. What a difference!

I still like the idea of barefoot shoes. Just make sure to have a backup and consider switching to more supportive shoes as needed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,

I did the Frances 2 years ago in barefoot shoes. I trained in them at home and was sure they would be great. What I hadn’t factored in was the day after day after day with little recovery time and the extra weight of my pack. I discovered I could only do about 10 km without my tendons screaming. Since I needed to do closer to 18-20 km per day, I was in a lot of pain and needed to stop and rest a lot. (I didn’t mind the feel of the stones and pebbles.) I iced a lot and walked really slow. At about 2/3 of the way, I finally stopped being stubborn and got some hiking sandals. What a difference!

I still like the idea of barefoot shoes. Just make sure to have a backup and consider switching to more supportive shoes as needed.
Thanks for the feedback. That was a while ago and now I would NEVER consider walking a Camino in minimalist shoes - goodness me, what was I thinking??? I fully appreciate some people can, but my joint need a decent amount of cushioning. I've found Altra Lone Peaks and think they'll be my Camino shoes from now on.

i find the sole on the Superior too thick, almost like you are sitting on the shoe rather than in it. However the Timps, Lone Peak and King Mountain are all glorious shoes to wear over long distance.
Yes i tried and LOVE Lone Peaks!

Hi all,

Hi Katie, I walked the French route in 2017 in minimalist vivo barefoot shoes. I had used them every day for at least six months before leaving. I also bought a pair of hiking sandals the day i left to wear at night. I was completely unable to manage in my minimalist shoes carrying my pack. My feet were swollen and tender and I couldn't put them onto the ground at the end of the day, but had to lie against the wall with them in the air for hours. I ended up walking almost 400km in the new sandals (luckily they were perfect) and then i bought a pair of cheap E30 "running shoes" which i wore alternately for the last 400km with my sandals. They were also perfect! There just wasn't enough padding on the soles of my minimalists. I would at least take an alternate pair with some padding. PS I didn't get one blister. Not one. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I finished the CP the end of October. I walked the Central the entire way.

Injinji socks, REI wool socks over them, Merrell boots. No blisters. Not one.

I am very glad I wore boots. The cobblestones, as you are clearly aware, are something to prepare for. Even with my boots, I could feel them.

I am currently having a FB discussion with a Camino family member about that one section of the CP that goes up that hill/mountain (you CP-ers know which one I'm talking about). River rocks and stream bed. Nasty stuff. And tiring. Lots of limping pilgrims after that section.

Do what you think is best, but remember that your feet are your most valuable piece of Camino equipment - treat them with care.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.