• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Minimum age for alberges or other necessities along the way

artymiss

I am a 17 year old female, and planning to walk a portion of the Camino Portuguese (all in Spain), then the Finisterre. I'd like to do this on my own, but need to know if I will encounter any problems with being able to register at alberges, or anything else, due to my minor status.

From what I have read, there are not serious safety concerns, but please also comment on that if you disagree.

My parents are understandably anxious that we confirm the practicality and safety of my plan. Many thanks for any comments and help.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Re: Minimum age for auberges or other necessities along the way

Hi all I know is that I met a young german girl your age who had walked all the way from germany by herself and not encountered any problems apart from being nipped by a dog in France somewhere.
The dogs on the Camino Frances are no problems by the way. She stayed in albergues and refugios. I don't know though if there are any rules to do with this. Regards, Gitti

Re: Minimum age for auberges or other necessities along the way

My son walked at age 17 and was never questioned about his age.

I´ve been hospitalera several times at several places, and have hosted people of all ages without any such issue being raised.

Reb.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi artymiss,
I think you'll be at least as safe on the camino as you are anywhere else. Your usual common sense will stand you in good stead. Should you ever feel uncertain or even lonely there will be lots of people willing to help.
You didn't mention where you are from and this might make a difference getting to and from the camino. Generally hotels in Europe require a passport as do youth hostels. I'm not sure what the age policy is for hotels. Also if you're from outside of the European Union, the Customs and Immigration folks at your landing spot may have something to say about your age. The travel agent who sells you your ticket should be able to fill you in on any of those legalities.
One warning though: you may find that a lot of us grandmothers and grandfathers want to fuss over you every time you turn around<grin>.
Buen camino
Grandma Cecelia

artymiss said:
I am a 17 year old female, and planning to walk a portion of the Camino Portuguese (all in Spain), then the Finisterre. I'd like to do this on my own, but need to know if I will encounter any problems with being able to register at alberges, or anything else, due to my minor status.

Hi Artymiss,

I walked last year with my daughter when she was only 8! So don't worry for that.

About your age, may be it's enough with a letter written by your parents. But in my opinion you will find no problems.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Back