• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Minimum age for alberges or other necessities along the way

artymiss

I am a 17 year old female, and planning to walk a portion of the Camino Portuguese (all in Spain), then the Finisterre. I'd like to do this on my own, but need to know if I will encounter any problems with being able to register at alberges, or anything else, due to my minor status.

From what I have read, there are not serious safety concerns, but please also comment on that if you disagree.

My parents are understandably anxious that we confirm the practicality and safety of my plan. Many thanks for any comments and help.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re: Minimum age for auberges or other necessities along the way

Hi all I know is that I met a young german girl your age who had walked all the way from germany by herself and not encountered any problems apart from being nipped by a dog in France somewhere.
The dogs on the Camino Frances are no problems by the way. She stayed in albergues and refugios. I don't know though if there are any rules to do with this. Regards, Gitti

Re: Minimum age for auberges or other necessities along the way

My son walked at age 17 and was never questioned about his age.

I´ve been hospitalera several times at several places, and have hosted people of all ages without any such issue being raised.

Reb.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi artymiss,
I think you'll be at least as safe on the camino as you are anywhere else. Your usual common sense will stand you in good stead. Should you ever feel uncertain or even lonely there will be lots of people willing to help.
You didn't mention where you are from and this might make a difference getting to and from the camino. Generally hotels in Europe require a passport as do youth hostels. I'm not sure what the age policy is for hotels. Also if you're from outside of the European Union, the Customs and Immigration folks at your landing spot may have something to say about your age. The travel agent who sells you your ticket should be able to fill you in on any of those legalities.
One warning though: you may find that a lot of us grandmothers and grandfathers want to fuss over you every time you turn around<grin>.
Buen camino
Grandma Cecelia

artymiss said:
I am a 17 year old female, and planning to walk a portion of the Camino Portuguese (all in Spain), then the Finisterre. I'd like to do this on my own, but need to know if I will encounter any problems with being able to register at alberges, or anything else, due to my minor status.

Hi Artymiss,

I walked last year with my daughter when she was only 8! So don't worry for that.

About your age, may be it's enough with a letter written by your parents. But in my opinion you will find no problems.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back