• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Minimum time to get that Camino-feeling

MichaelC

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023: Via Francigena, Lucca to Rome
I realize that this question is subjective & there is no one-size-fits-all answer, and yet: What would you all say is the minimum amount of time that a pilgrim should walk to get that full Camino-feeling? And does it differ on different walks?

I look back at my own experiences, and know that one week would not have been enough for me. Two weeks (equivalent to SJPP to Burgos, or León to Santiago) would make a great trip, but I still don't think it would be enough for that deep immersive experience. Three weeks (SJPP to León, or Le Puy to Moissac)? That might be enough ... but personally I think I'd still want more.

This is more than just a theoretical question! I'm already plotting how to return, whether in Spain, France, or Italy, and how long it will take me to save enough vacation time. And so I'm curious to hear what folks' experiences were who walked shorter caminos. Because I can pull off three weeks in Spring 2019, or four weeks in Fall 2019, or ... if I can hold out ... a longer walk in 2020. But I doubt I can hold out that long.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've done both long and short - and have been surprised how quickly the heart drops into that timeless camino place, even on day 1 of a short walk. For me the main difference between a short walk and a longer one is how 'done' I feel at the end. After a month I feel pretty 'cooked,' and ready to go. But not after 10 days; then I'm still eager to walk and seeing new things inside and out. So the leaving is much more reluctant.

Coming from the US I need to make the best use of my air travel. I've walked for 6 weeks two different times and 5 weeks once, and they both felt like I was fully immersed in the Camino experience. This June I will be walking Le Puy to Moissac and have planned for 4 weeks total. I think this amount of time will be fine, too.

I would not keep postponing your dream indefinately....2020 sounds like a long reach away!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walk shorter times exclusively - I've been on a Camino (counting on my fingers) over 20 times now, but the longest time I've ever had was 19 days.

The moment I step out of my door with a backpack, knowing I have all I'll need with me, my walk changes and (says my husband) my eyes focus in the middle distance. I'm on my Camino, even walking to the airport bus.

Which I will be doing around lunchtime today, I just have to go to work for a few hours first.

Whee!

My first camino was only 2 weeks and I was just beginning to get "that" feeling, so I was sorry to be leaving at that point. Subsequent trips have been longer, but I did not enjoy the 6th week of walking as much as the first 5. Of course, every camino is different, but I have decided that about 30 days of walking (about 5 weeks away from home) is generally more than enough to satisfy me. If I didn't have that much time available, I would still be happy with 3 or 4 weeks.

Come to think of it... I would be happy with 2 weeks. Even 1 week. No, one week isn't enough to get over the jet lag, so I draw the line at 2 weeks!

Here's another vote for a two-week minimum. That gives 3-4 days to transition in, mentally, and 3-4 days of transitioning out, leaving a solid week's worth of pilgrim mental state in the middle.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I realize that this question is subjective & there is no one-size-fits-all answer, and yet: What would you all say is the minimum amount of time that a pilgrim should walk to get that full Camino-feeling? And does it differ on different walks?

he he he he he, not just "subjective", but divisive ... :eek:o_O:p:cool::p

For me, as a "purist" (cough !!), I'd consider "the full Camino™" to be something I've not done, the 4000 K hike there and back again ; though I've done the "short version" of home to Santiago twice, from two different homes, which I'd certainly suggest was "good enough". But sure, that's a bit more difficult to do if you live outside Western Europe, which is why I often advise people to start somewhere a little further or more meaningful than just SJPP, like starting at your airport, or train station, or ferry terminal of arrival or say start at Lourdes or Saint Palais, Bayonne or Tarbes or Pau, and so on -- mainly to get a "feel" at least for the more solitary Camino prior to joining the more crowded main routes in Spain .

Which sure, would certainly vary from route to route -- starting in places like Gibraltar or Andorra, or Barcelona or even some short walking in Ireland or the UK before a ferry to Santander, or Madrid or Salamanca would do it too ... doesn't have to be 1500 to 2000 K !!! :)

I walk shorter times exclusively - I've been on a Camino (counting on my fingers) over 20 times now, but the longest time I've ever had was 19 days.

The moment I step out of my door with a backpack, knowing I have all I'll need with me, my walk changes and (says my husband) my eyes focus in the middle distance. I'm on my Camino, even walking to the airport bus.

Which I will be doing around lunchtime today, I just have to go to work for a few hours first.

Whee!

Your making me feel so envious. Please take pity on your fellow forum members and curb your joy!!!!!

Seriously have a great time.....

For me, there is no minimum time. Since 2009 I’ve been on Camino’s 11 times. Last year I went twice. First in June with 47 degrees from Mérida. I only had 5 walking days. It was awesome. In November I went with my father to the Francés. 4 walking days. Perfect.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I need at least two weeks to get trail fit. Three is better. Then two weeks when the body lets the mind go. So five weeks is perfect. Six weeks and missing my beloved overshadows the pleasure.

Fit or not that special Camino feeling has always occured when arriving at Saint Jean Pied de Port, the picturesque Basque mountain town in the French Pyrenees to begin another CF. Excitement grew while riding there on the local train from Bayonne. After hoisting my pack, walking uphill and through the old fortress walls to the 39 rue de la Citadelle office of the welcoming Amis du Chemin de St Jacques to obtain a Credential and bunk, I walked on. Nearby at 55 was the famous red door of the municipal albergue. Pushing it open began each new Camino adventure. Mme Jeannine, the tireless hospitalera greeted all and serendipity prevailed. ... Ultreia!

Last edited:
@JabbaPappa, as long as I have my family and friends back home anxiously waiting for my return, I can not envision wanting to be away for over six weeks. For the more independently free souls who are able to walk 1000 k and more, you/they most likely are unencumbered from many of life's other responsibilities back home. "It's all good" as the saying goes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sure, Camino Chris, but some people can do 1000 K easily within 6 weeks (I once did a 1800 K Camino in 44 days, though of course I was 29 at the time, and in extremely good training ... ), so as I said, the whole "what's long enough" thing is highly variable ... ;)

Yes, Jabba, I admit to being a fairly slow walker. The good news with that thankfully I've been fortunate to have had no injuries thus far on three Caminos. I let the young ones sail on past me.

I've still be pondering this, and I think 3-5 weeks is what I'm looking for. I understand how people feel the spirit of the Camino the moment they set out, and that for this it doesn't matter if it's a three days or three months. But there's also that sense of immersion that only comes with time.

Now if I only had three to five weeks every year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
- Jabba papa you mention starting with a quieter walk. I do wonder what all the fuss is about when you think how busy it must be there.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back