• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Minor pre Camino injury

Travelingal

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances planned Aug 2022
I am a pretty fit 61 year old and have been walking all fall, winter and right up until now. I suffered a minor groin strain after walking 27 km 10 days ago. I am getting treatment but it was suggested to rest and can't walk at all for about a week. I start my walk on August 29th. I am hoping that this will give me enough time to get ready for the frances route. It is not bad enough to cancel the entire trip but am definitely not able to follow the suggested 24 km three times a week. My accommodations are prebooked so I guess I can always do the best I can each day and take transport if required. Anyone with a similar experience that could share?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
am definitely not able to follow the suggested 24 km three times a week.
Are you talking about 24 km three times a week as suggested training, week after week? While such distances may be a wonderful thing for those who can, this is not typical training.

I strongly support training for a Camino. But I (73yo) am very pleased with myself with if I can find time to walk over 50 km every week for a few months before. Some weeks it is 75 km but other weeks, only 50. In the last couple of weeks, I ease off so that I don't risk a last-minute injury.

Often it is suggested (and I agree) that first-timers include 3 consecutive days of 20-25 km in their training, but that is meant as a one-time test to reveal vulnerabilities such as tight shoes, blister-prone areas. Sometimes blisters or other irritations don't show up after a single long day, but do appear after repeated days.

Don't overdo the training - as it seems you may have done. Your body needs some rest now, and then some gentle maintenance to get ready for the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I always keep my training and equipment testing walks to about a 5-10 kilometers distance with a lot of stretching and sometimes planks and pushups. About five days before I leave for the Camino I stop my training walks and just do stretching. Give my legs time to rest and recover before the long walks begin. A few ten kilometer walks definitely does expose any footwear and sock issues.

I always keep my training and equipment testing walks to about a 5-10 kilometers distance with a lot of stretching and sometimes planks and pushups. About five days before I leave for the Camino I stop my training walks and just do stretching. Give my legs time to rest and recover before the long walks begin. A few ten kilometer walks definitely does expose any footwear and sock issues.
Stretching is what I need to do more of!! Thank you

I am a pretty fit 61 year old and have been walking all fall, winter and right up until now. I suffered a minor groin strain after walking 27 km 10 days ago. I am getting treatment but it was suggested to rest and can't walk at all for about a week. I start my walk on August 29th. I am hoping that this will give me enough time to get ready for the frances route. It is not bad enough to cancel the entire trip but am definitely not able to follow the suggested 24 km three times a week. My accommodations are prebooked so I guess I can always do the best I can each day and take transport if required. Anyone with a similar experience that could share?
in 2017 I walked with a 70 year old friend who had a mystery back problem about 6 weeks before we walked, she was quite incapacitated by it initially, the same person who suffered a heart issue before walking the first Camino.
Both times she was fine and walked slowly at first for a few days, then was OK. For the back issue she had a brace initially but then used my Kathmandu waist belt (which they dont make any more) instead of a day pack, which acted as a brace and wasn't as hot and we made sure she didnt have to carry anything heavy.
On my last Camino I suffered from a medical issue caused by a severe reaction to Cortisone. And was using a knee scooter up until a day before we left, while the affects wore off . The final healing occurred on the plane. We had some days in Paris before heading to Spain, and I needed crutches the first day, but then it eased. I slept with my foot up each night.
We were just super lucky, It was really risky, I wouldn't recommend what we did at all.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am 68 years old and I think with each camino I train a little less. Now I do no more than 10-12K a day and about a month out I start to walk with my pack. I put about half of what I will carry and bring it up to a full pack over about 10 days. I do this because my mindset when I start a camino is I am only walking 5k. By this time I have a pretty good idea without any outside resources of what 5k feels like. At 5k I stop and rest just about wherever I am and find a stone fence, rock, patch of grass or just sit on my pack. I will have a small snack, drink some water, and rest for 10 or 15 minutes. Then I go again. If I am lucky and I am in a village I may get a coffee. I do this throughout the day and also take 45-60 minutes for lunch. I try to keep my first couple of weeks to about 20K a day or a little more. Later on I may bump that up to 25k or so depending on distances from one village to the next. Listen to your body. Stop, eat and sleep when it tells you to. Do not listen to your brain or others. Only you can take care of yourself. I think it is better to walk a little less than too much. Even a few kilometers can be too much.

Probably the most important part of any pre-Camino training is wearing the footwear you’re intending to use and carrying the rucksack with your intended load. It might encourage you to be more ruthless with the contents.

There’s no issue whatsoever introducing some transport to your plans - other than that the last 100Km should be entirely on foot if you want a compostella and a clear conscience.

If you’re starting in St Jean you might seriously consider using bag transport for the first couple of days. Given that you’ve pre-booked accommodation you do at least know your intended destination.

I had to resort to a hair-raising taxi-ride one day earlier this year when I opportunistically did the short stretch from Burgos to Leon. What I thought was just bursitis turned out to be bilateral osteoarthritis in both knees; but it’s not deterred me from making future plans. In my case, with already a handful of compostellas, I’ll be using bag transport and/or public transport as the mood takes me.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
I am 68 years old and I think with each camino I train a little less. Now I do no more than 10-12K a day and about a month out I start to walk with my pack. I put about half of what I will carry and bring it up to a full pack over about 10 days. I do this because my mindset when I start a camino is I am only walking 5k. By this time I have a pretty good idea without any outside resources of what 5k feels like. At 5k I stop and rest just about wherever I am and find a stone fence, rock, patch of grass or just sit on my pack. I will have a small snack, drink some water, and rest for 10 or 15 minutes. Then I go again. If I am lucky and I am in a village I may get a coffee. I do this throughout the day and also take 45-60 minutes for lunch. I try to keep my first couple of weeks to about 20K a day or a little more. Later on I may bump that up to 25k or so depending on distances from one village to the next. Listen to your body. Stop, eat and sleep when it tells you to. Do not listen to your brain or others. Only you can take care of yourself. I think it is better to walk a little less than too much. Even a few kilometers can be too much.
Thank you very much, that is very sound advice. It is so true to just listen to your body and your mind. This is my first camino and I have done so much research....probably too much!! I really appreciate your advice

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
in 2017 I walked with a 70 year old friend who had a mystery back problem about 6 weeks before we walked, she was quite incapacitated by it initially, the same person who suffered a heart issue before walking the first Camino.
Both times she was fine and walked slowly at first for a few days, then was OK. For the back issue she had a brace initially but then used my Kathmandu waist belt (which they dont make any more) instead of a day pack, which acted as a brace and wasn't as hot and we made sure she didnt have to carry anything heavy.
On my last Camino I suffered from a medical issue caused by a severe reaction to Cortisone. And was using a knee scooter up until a day before we left, while the affects wore off . The final healing occurred on the plane. We had some days in Paris before heading to Spain, and I needed crutches the first day, but then it eased. I slept with my foot up each night.
We were just super lucky, It was really risky, I wouldn't recommend what we did at all.
Wow you two were very brave, I am glad that it worked out for you!! I am getting better every now and have been doing a lot of stretching. I am more hopeful now!

Thank you very much, that is very sound advice. It is so true to just listen to your body and your mind. This is my first camino and I have done so much research....probably too much!! I really appreciate your advice
If I could make one small correction. if your body is telling you one thing and your mind is in conflict telling another go with the body every time!!!:)

Thanks for this perspective. I also am 68 in very good health. I am starting the Frances on Sept 9. I have been walking 7-10 miles daily with my backpack about 2/3rd’s full weight for the past month. It is working well for me and I feel I am developing good stamina. I have been thinking I need to increase my distance, but my body has been saying “I don’t hurt and you’re doing great”, and I believe I am.
I love your reference to “I’m walking a 5K” … which will end up being three, four or five 5K’s in a given day, with rest intervals between each one. Breaking the 500 miles down into 5K intervals is going to make the distance seem much more doable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
24km three times a week? Wow. Have never heard of, or done, that kind of training in my 4 Caminos.
I’d recommend you rest your present injury. Then resume walking shorter distances. Maybe 10 km to start. If that goes well then start walking that distance with your packed rucksack. I’d recommend not to increase training beyond that or you may reinjure! You’ll have plenty of time to walk 20 km+ when you’re on the Camino. Rest up so you can start healthy and healed.
Last year I notched up my training a couple of weeks before starting the Camino ( as a fit 62 year old I thought running hills would be a good idea 🤦🏻‍♀️) Ended up with a really bad left groin injury. Almost cancelled the day that we flew to Europe. I ended up sending my rucksack ahead for the first week ( up and over the Pyrenees), did gentle stretching multiple times a day, and took a strong prescription anti inflammatory for 4 weeks! I’ve learned my lesson.

Over training is good! You will benefit with a much more enjoyable Camino because you will not be having physical problems on what will be an easy hike.

After training hard, I recommend that you ease up on your training about 1-2 week before your trip to avoid injury.

-Paul

Thanks for this perspective. I also am 68 in very good health. I am starting the Frances on Sept 9. I have been walking 7-10 miles daily with my backpack about 2/3rd’s full weight for the past month. It is working well for me and I feel I am developing good stamina. I have been thinking I need to increase my distance, but my body has been saying “I don’t hurt and you’re doing great”, and I believe I am.
I love your reference to “I’m walking a 5K” … which will end up being three, four or five 5K’s in a given day, with rest intervals between each one. Breaking the 500 miles down into 5K intervals is going to make the distance seem much more doable.
Hi Linda, I try to even go a little more minuet. When I am walking up a really steep hill I pick a spot and say I will just walk to there. It could be 1/4 or half or 3/4 of the way up the hill. I go to that spot and catch my breath. Even if it is just a minute or so. Then continue. But when I am walking I also try to walk one step at a time and try to take in every moment, All we have in life is the step we are taking. Walk and train and give yourself at least 1 day a week off. I think you are doing a good job listening to your body. If you listen to your body and not your mind or someone who wants you to keep going or walk faster or slower you will create problems for yourself. You can always meet a new friend for lunch or a coffee break. Also, especially at our age. A few k less a day is far better than pushing and going 4 or 5k more. They can be they longest 4k of your life. We are all here for you if you have more questions. If you want to write me a pm for so more old man advice;) feel free.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
24km three times a week? Wow. Have never heard of, or done, that kind of training in my 4 Caminos.
I’d recommend you rest your present injury. Then resume walking shorter distances. Maybe 10 km to start. If that goes well then start walking that distance with your packed rucksack. I’d recommend not to increase training beyond that or you may reinjure! You’ll have plenty of time to walk 20 km+ when you’re on the Camino. Rest up so you can start healthy and healed.
Last year I notched up my training a couple of weeks before starting the Camino ( as a fit 62 year old I thought running hills would be a good idea 🤦🏻‍♀️) Ended up with a really bad left groin injury. Almost cancelled the day that we flew to Europe. I ended up sending my rucksack ahead for the first week ( up and over the Pyrenees), did gentle stretching multiple times a day, and took a strong prescription anti inflammatory for 4 weeks! I’ve learned my lesson.
Thank you Maria for your suggestions. I was cleared to resume my exercising yesterday. It turns out that I have an adductor strain, probably from doing side lunges not so much the walking. I am sure the long walk didn't do me any favors. I feel more comfortable now with these comments that I was likely over training. I took a nice easy walk today and am doing a lot of stretching so feel more comfortable now.

Over training is good! You will benefit with a much more enjoyable Camino because you will not be having physical problems on what will be an easy hike.

After training hard, I recommend that you ease up on your training about 1-2 week before your trip to avoid injury.

-Paul
Thanks Paul!

Back issues, particularly spasms, are usually alleviated by walking. I had back issues on the Via in March/April. It was painful to get out of bed but after I started walking the muscles warmed up and the pain disappeared.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back