• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Missing hiker Esther Dingley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2022
I was just wondering if the area this sad story is happening is anywhere near the Camino Aragon? It’s hard to tell from the maps that I find on the news. Although of course I have no idea, I certainly hope this hlker is OK somewhere by choice.

And it brings up the question if there were any unsolved cases of missing pilgrims? And I don’t mean people who just chose not to be found.

I know, a dark subject, but the mind has a tendency to go to these places in these times.

And for those of you who aren’t aware of the story, this is a hiker who was last seen November 22 while hiking through the Pyrenees. No trace of her has been found. Quite the mystery. Here’s a link to an article about it, or just search for Esther Dingly.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For those of you who do not subscribe be to the NY Times

In a post on the couple’s blog, Ms. Dingley wrote about how the past six years of traveling had changed her: “I’ve discovered I like doing things I never dreamed I thought I would be capable of because I was too scared,” she said. “Slowly, one onion layer at a time, I’m releasing my fears and enjoy challenging myself and pushing my boundaries but in a sustainable and joy-filled way.”

In a post on the couple’s blog, Ms. Dingley wrote about how the past six years of traveling had changed her: “I’ve discovered I like doing things I never dreamed I thought I would be capable of because I was too scared,” she said. “Slowly, one onion layer at a time, I’m releasing my fears and enjoy challenging myself and pushing my boundaries but in a sustainable and joy-filled way.”

A British woman who documented her travel around Europe with her partner for the past six years on a popular blog has gone missing while hiking alone in the Pyrenees mountains, the authorities said.
Search crews were looking for Esther Dingley, 37, who was last seen on Nov. 22 in the mountains in Luchonnais, an area in southwestern France near the border with Spain, and had planned to return three days later.
The authorities in France said on Tuesday that they were increasingly pessimistic about the chances of finding Ms. Dingley on the French side of the border.
“We’ve already patrolled the zone so much that I don’t really know where else we could search,” said Pierre Gaillard, the deputy commandant of the French mountain platoon leading the search. He said the possibility of snow on Tuesday could force them to stop the search.

We now have doubts that she even got into France,” Mr. Gaillard said. “There’s the same confusion on the Spanish side.”
At the time of Ms. Dingley’s disappearance, she had been on a monthlong solo trek while her partner, Dan Colegate, stayed on a farm in Gascony, France, according to the BBC.

The couple, who have been together for 18 years after meeting at Oxford University, began their journey as long-term hikers and explorers in 2014 after Mr. Colegate experienced medical complications following surgery. That experience, they said, pushed them to cancel their wedding, abandon their successful careers and find what made them happy. They soon rented out their home, sold their car and purchased a motor home, which they named “Homer.”
Mr. Colegate declined to comment on Monday but said in a statement over the weekend that Ms. Dingley’s disappearance had “broken” him.
“I’ve not been saying anything, but this wonderful person believes in the power of positive thought and right now I’ll take anything if it means that she can be found,” he said. “I need her back. I can’t face the alternative.”

In a post on the couple’s joint Facebook page on Tuesday night, Mr. Colegate said that the authorities may be looking at explanations other than an accident. He said that a missing person’s investigation had begun in Spain and that a special judicial unit in France had opened an inquiry.
“This means they will be looking at other options beyond a mountain accident,” Mr. Colegate said.
Mr. Colegate said that searchers likely would have found Ms. Dingley’s body had she fallen from one of the hiking paths.
“While this is a terrifying development in many ways, I’m trying to focus on the fact that it leaves the door open that Esther might still come home,” he said. “She was so utterly happy and joyful when we last spoke, I’d do anything to see her face and hold her right now.”

Ms. Dingley was last seen on Pic de Sauvegarde on Nov. 22, according to the BBC. She had been walking from the town of Benasque in Spain the day before had planned to stay Sunday night at a cabin in France, Mr. Colegate said.
Ms. Dingley was last seen wearing black and pink mountain clothes, according to a missing persons announcement from the Civil Guard in Spain.
Mr. Colegate told the BBC on Sunday that Ms. Dingley had been on solo treks before: “She always tried to keep in touch, but sometimes on her hikes was out of contact for a couple of days,” he said. “This is not looking good.”

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And it brings up the question if there were any unsolved cases of missing pilgrims? And I don’t mean people who just chose not to be found.
I remember one case, a pilgrim called Richard Krismer. He was 55 years old at the time of his disappearance, from Austria, and he had last contacted his family from the vicinity of a camping site near Lourdes. He was on his way to Santiago de Compostela. It is not known where he intended to cross the Pyrenees, whether on the Camino Frances or Aragones. There was some publicity in the French and Austrian media and on social media but not much. It happened in September/October 2015. I don't know of any more recent news about the case. Below is a link to the notice from the French police, with a description of Richard Krismer and asking the public for information.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information that the location of the Dingley search is not near any Camino route. It seems to be a very sad case that hasn't been resolved. However, further discussion is not really relevant to the Camino and it could easily stray into speculation.

For this reason, I'm closing the thread to further replies at this time. If any future information emerges about either of the cases mentioned above, that is helpful for keeping us safe when we walk, then we would certainly be interested in updates.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back