• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Missing Pilgrim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You’d make a great detective.
Like many others, I have a knack for finding stuff on the internet and in electronic books, you just have to ask the right questions :). It seemed quite important so I'm happy that our collective efforts have tracked it down.

Ever since I walked through Aulnay on the road from Tours in France, I've been intrigued by Romanesque sculpture. I knew the biblical story of Daniel in the lions' den but what I've learnt now is the fact that it stood, for early Christians, for resurrection in particular, hence I suppose it's a motif chosen for the lid of a sarcophagus, as may have been the case for the stone slab now incorporated in the outside wall of this small church in Airexe. But there are many ways of reading these sculptures and what they can mean to us.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@joanjf This morning I was reading the latest blogpost of a crafty lady in England. As I read her words I thought of you - they might help in your healing.
“We wrapped up warm to wander around the festive markets. We munched on street food, under the shadow of Tower Bridge. We marvelled at the views over the capital from the Sky Garden. We just generally mooched about and it was fantastic.

It was hard of course, as I regressed into thoughts of Mum. How much I miss her, and would've loved her to be right there with me. But I smiled and knew she was there in spirit. It's impossible to enjoy anything without a little regret when someone you love has died.
It's natural to feel empty, and to wish things were different. But I think it's really important to honour their memory by taking every opportunity to live in the moment. It's ok to laugh, and feel joy. You're not disrespecting or diminishing the grief by being happy for the simple things.
As we approach the latter part of January, I do hope you're all settling in to the rhythm of a New Year. That whatever's going on in your life, you find the strength to cope with it. This time last year I was in the depths of despair. It was hard. But I survived, and you can too.“

Thank you Kiwi family for your kind words and thoughts.
Life is tough.
I miss my beautiful son. I miss my Brother.
I try to live my life and theirs to. But the memories are always there wishing it could be different.

Hello @joanjf - Yesterday I passed the small church in Eirexe and thanks to @Rick of Rick and Peg was able to quickly find this and photograph it. This is a smaller version but am very happy to send the full-sized image if wanted. Just PM me with an email address and it will be so. Thank you to @HedaP for bringing it to my attention. I hope it brings a small measure of peace for the loss of your brother. Warm regards, Jordon.
8E823579-C626-440D-B02F-870315128F27.jpeg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello @joanjf - Yesterday I passed the small church in Eirexe and thanks to @Rick of Rick and Peg was able to quickly find this and photograph it. This is a smaller version but am very happy to send the full-sized image if wanted. Just PM me with an email address and it will be so. Thank you to @HedaP for bringing it to my attention. I hope it brings a small measure of peace for the loss of your brother. Warm regards, Jordon.
View attachment 39335
Well done you! And it’s a beautiful photo. Shows clearly Daniel protected by two lions.

View attachment 39335
Thank you for the beautiful Photograph. Hopefully many pilgrims will go to see this now they know of it.. please send me a large photo when you can I will send you a message with my address. Thank you so much and Buen Camino
View attachment 39335

View attachment 39335

For those who want to visit Daniel and the Lions here are the directions:

The church you are looking for, Iglesia de Santiago, is in Eirexe (Airexe) which is between Portomarin and Palas de Rei (Brierley's stage 30.) Most of the way from Portomarin to Eirexe you will be on a 400 meter climb but the climb portion is over 15 km so its an easy 3% grade. Then, at the top of Sierra Ligonde, you start downhill past Ligonde.

The next few paragraphs describe what to do next but if the next link works right you probably won't need my description. The link is to an interactive map (you may have to zoom out some):
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=42.863270,-7.785559&z=18&t=h

You will follow a hairpin turn to the left and then shortly cross a river (the bridge is rather non-descript.) Then you start climbing again. A map has you passing a cafe, Casa Mariluz, on your right (hope it is still there with the same name.) The map then wants you to leave the camino for a short distance by taking a left to the Iglesia de Santiago. This left is at a triangular traffic island. Google shows a sign there that may have information about the church and/or the town.

After taking the left the church is just ahead and in sight. The coordinates for the church itself are: 42.863893,-7.787043

Its steeple has two openings for two bells. Photo: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-d3LdivOMGI8/VjvdlWm6OSI/AAAAAAAAHz4/uzLDppj-EuM/s640/2204+Saturday%2C+%E2%80%8ESeptember+%E2%80%8E20%2C+%E2%80%8E2014%2C+%E2%80%8F%E2%80%8E124+PM.JPG

A description of Daniel's stone has it on the south side of the church. It's a big stone, outside, low to the ground to the left of a door. Photo: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CbC-UwSspmA/V2q2nJ_0IJI/AAAAAAAALdI/F1hPLxP85Tg_eIXqMG4fWYPrzFUHjTalwCLcB/s640/2204cc+Airexe+-++Igrexa+de+Santiago+-+stone+slab+and+door+in+S+wall+%28gl.wikipedia.org%29.jpg

The photos above come from this blog that also has a description of things: http://madillcamino2014.blogspot.com/2015/10/placeholder-saturday-september-20-2014.html

The blog says of the church: "The portal has some unusual decorative elements. On its capitals are birds—incised lines indicating their feathers—picking at plants."

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Jozero. you are a wonderful kind person. To do a detour to take photos leaves me speechless.i am humbled by your actions.
Pleas send me larger photos when you are able too. This gives me joy in my heart.
It will be 4 years 9 months for my son tomorrow. My Brother 4years 4 months. I shed a tear each and every day for them. They were my little family. I look for anything that helps me to feel strong. So I appreciate your kindness.
I will see this place one day and like I said walk the 100kms when my body says go.
Love to you all and Buen Camino Jozero

Thank you Jozero. you are a wonderful kind person. To do a detour to take photos leaves me speechless.i am humbled by your actions.
Pleas send me larger photos when you are able too. This gives me joy in my heart.
It will be 4 years 9 months for my son tomorrow. My Brother 4years 4 months. I shed a tear each and every day for them. They were my little family. I look for anything that helps me to feel strong. So I appreciate your kindness.
I will see this place one day and like I said walk the 100kms when my body says go.
Love to you all and Buen Camino Jozero
That this has made a difference for you makes it special for us, Joan. In all honesty, the detour was very small and it was only through the collaboration with Heda and Rick that really made it possible. I am thankful I was in the right place at the right time. I will say a small prayer for your men tomorrow when I give my thanks to St James. My best wishes to you.

It seemed quite important so I'm happy that our collective efforts have tracked it down.
For those who want to visit Daniel and the Lions here are the directions:
Hello @joanjf - Yesterday I passed the small church in Eirexe and thanks to @Rick of Rick and Peg was able to quickly find this and photograph it.

Pilgrims helping pilgrims.
This posts on this thread this week are SO heartwarming. Thank you, everyone, for being such good people.

And all of us are behind you, Joan, with heartfelt well-wishing.
Buen Camino and ultreia....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back