• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Missing Pilgrim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2013, 2014.
This popped up in Facebook and I thought I would share it in case any of you had any info.

URGENT!!!!!
A walking friend of mine has been contacted by a German friend who is concerned about the wellbeing of her father Bernhard (aka Alf). He set out on the Camino in April sometime and she hasn't heard from him since. We're trying to establish which route he is on but as some of you are regulars on the Camino I thought you might have done some networking and established some contacts along the way that you may be able to ask. We do know he travels light and prefers to sleep outdoors.

Even if you think you can't help please share this as we can't underestimate the power of FB

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are you sure this is current, and not from a different year? It rings a bell about a pilgrim who fell down a cliff in the Norte last year (or maybe two years ago)

EDITED : please disregard this post by myself, I am not deleting it because that might create more confusion on the thread, but please do consider it to be VOID

Last edited:
Are you sure this is current, and not from a different year? It rings a bell about a pilgrim who fell down a cliff in the Norte last year (or maybe two years ago)
The plea for help appears to be current. It appeared on a Meetup site on 17 Jul 17, where it was stated that it would also be pasted on Facebook.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

This is a different person. The German pilgrim who fell off a cliff had started in Switzerland (if I remember well) and he was in regular contact with his family. They missed him within the week.

The disappearance of Bernard aka Alf is strange. If he left in April, he should have arrived by now, no matter where he started in Spain. But did he start in Spain? Or simply left home in Germany and walked on?

I assume that he is the man with the dark hair in the pictures on FB?

I am not trolling the concept of being helpful, but I believe it is important to consider the point of view of the pilgrim. He may be doing what he wants and have no interest in being found. I say this because an aging mother had not heard from her son in months and started a search in this Forum. By coincidence I encountered him shortly thereafter at the Formiga Albergue before Palas de Rei. I asked him if he was himself, and he said he was. I told him his mother was concerned. He was a bit surprised, but promised he would call her the next day. He did. She reported the contact back to the Forum. At no time was it my role to tell her about him regardless of how concerned she obviously was. He had become a permanent denizen of the Camino, was happy in his role, and was not lost at all. He also was a caring son who was happy to ease his mother's worries, but if he had not wanted to be found, it would have been my responsibility to let him live his life as he saw fit.

There are many facets to meddling!! ;)

Pretty much every time we are asked to look for someone on this forum we get the same response's from some members, do they really want to be found, is it really a family member who is looking for them or someone who they are trying to avoid, on two occasions the search did not end well, in one case the pilgrim had fallen to his death, in the other the pilgrim had been murdered. I think that when a plea for help is posted we should help if we have information that the person is ok. Anyone who has ever had a family member missing will understand the anguish this family is going through.
Please keep posts to any information you have on this missing pilgrim and if you have met or seen him, and not on speculation.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just found the post in the FB group and contacted the poster with an offer to help, at least language-wise. In all cases, it would be really helpful if we had some firsthand information, from the daughter or another family member/close friend. Hope all is well with this pilgrim, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Update: He was definitely seen beginning of July by another pilgrim crossing the Pyrenees via Saint Jean Pied de Port and he said that he wanted to go to Finisterre. This evening his daughter will send me bigger photos than those she has on FB and I will post them here and send them to hospitalero friends I have alongside the way. Please keep your eyes open for him if you are at the moment on the CF (his most likely route) BC SY

His picture is already on a number of Frech speaking Camino FB pages.

60-70 perhaps, white hair, white beard, glasses, lovely smile.

Grey and black backpack. Large front pack in same colour, royal blue tshirt, black short, walking poles silver and royal blue.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well said wayfarer straight to the point.

I remember that dismissive attitude before on this invaluable source, can we ask contributers to refrain from dismissing worried families and friends plea,s for help.

Please do not say " maybe they do not want to be found " think first before contributing, if it was you looking for help for a loved one . Safety first then worry about privacy afterwards.

Pretty much every time we are asked to look for someone on this forum we get the same response's from some members, do they really want to be found, is it really a family member who is looking for them or someone who they are trying to avoid, on two occasions the search did not end well, in one case the pilgrim had fallen to his death, in the other the pilgrim had been murdered. I think that when a plea for help is posted we should help if we have information that the person is ok. Anyone who has ever had a family member missing will understand the anguish this family is going through.
Please keep posts to any information you have on this missing pilgrim and if you have met or seen him, and not on speculation.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Update: He was definitely seen beginning of July by another pilgrim crossing the Pyrenees via Saint Jean Pied de Port and he said that he wanted to go to Finisterre. This evening his daughter will send me bigger photos than those she has on FB and I will post them here and send them to hospitalero friends I have alongside the way. Please keep your eyes open for him if you are at the moment on the CF (his most likely route) BC SY
Do you have a clear photo of him from his daughter. I'm in Santa Marina at moment on way to Finisterre. May recall seeing him.

Do you have a clear photo of him from his daughter. I'm in Santa Marina at moment on way to Finisterre. May recall seeing him.

No, not yet, we 'spoke' on Facebook and she was not at home at her main computer. The one posted above with the child is the clearest one I do have apart of this one:

Missing Pilgrim 3_crop.jpg

Tomorrow I should have hopefully better pictures. BC SY

No, not yet, we 'spoke' on Facebook and she was not at home at her main computer. The one posted above with the child is the clearest one I do have apart of this one:

View attachment 35063

Tomorrow I should have hopefully better pictures. BC SY
Thanks. Would be good to see a more recent pic.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
His picture is already on a number of Frech speaking Camino FB pages.

60-70 perhaps, white hair, white beard, glasses, lovely smile.

Grey and black backpack. Large front pack in same colour, royal blue tshirt, black short, walking poles silver and royal blue.

Are you sure we are speaking about the same pilgrim here? The photos his daughter sent me show a man around 45 years old, no glasses and no beard and his hair is certainly dark brown or black. Also the photo I saw on the French FB group had little resemblance with those I know. BC SY

Confusing.......

Agree.

While I do not doubt that the gentleman is missing, I'm having some problems the way this is 'organized'.
If someone goes missing, ideally there should be one central point with all the info. A simple FB page will do, and all it takes is a link in the message.
Now we are faced with vague connections like a friend of a friend, and someone in Scotland (?) who calls for action but keeps his privacy on FB at the highest levels.
Plus the confusion that stems from this thread, leading posters to think that the pictures of the missing man are not recent, because he allegedly has aged some decades and grown a white beard in the meantime.

That said, I hope he is located soon and in good spirits.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Police in Spain should be that central point and concerned relatives must contact them as well as their own embassy or consulate - in that way enquiries can be coordinated and accurate information shared. It is understandable that relatives and concerned friends use the social media to spread the word when they think someone is "missing". The reality is that the Police are the appropriate authority to take any search forward - alerting the network of albergues, asking the Pilgrims Office to search their files of arrivals, checking hospitals and hotels as well as mobile phone and bank use etc etc. Imho there is no harm done posting on Facebook and so on but we should always advise relatives to contact the Spanish police.

I forwarded all the info regarding the need of filing a missing person report to the police in the home country and in Spain, contacting their embassy in Spain etc. to the daughter of the missing pilgrim, unfortunately she hasn't come back to me yet. I can only offer my help with language issues etc., all the rest is up to the family. Buen Camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back