• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Missing the Camino --- Did Some Baking

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Perfecto! Even the dish looks just like one you might see in Spain under such a torta. Don’t worry about carbs. Far more important to know that if this torta is made to the original recipe it is gluten free. ;)

Last edited:
Perfecto! Even the dish looks just like one you might see in Spain under such a torta. Don’t worry about carbs. Far more important to know that if this torta is made to the original recipe it is gluten free. ;)

Yup, traditional recipe with eggs, sugar, almond flour, lemon zest and juice. No wheat flour.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Here's the recipe, for those who asked....

Tarta de Santiago

Makes one 9 or 10-inch round

Ingredients

Butter (for the pan)
6 Eggs
1¼ cups Granulated sugar
1 Lemon rind, grated
¼ teaspoon Almond extract
½ pound Almond flour (about 2¼ cups)
Powder sugar (for sprinkling)

Directions

Set the oven at 350 degrees.

Lightly butter a 9 or 10-inch springform pan. Line the bottom with a round of parchment paper, and butter the paper.

In an electric mixer, beat the eggs and granulated sugar on high speed for 5 minutes or until thickened and pale yellow.

Beat in the lemon rind and almond extract. With the mixer set on its lowest speed, beat in the almond meal and mix to blend.

Pour the batter into the pan. Leave about 1.5 - 2 inches of head space to allow for expansion during baking.

Bake the cake for 35 minutes or until it is golden, a little darker around the edge, and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs.

Cool in the pan on a cooling rack. When cooled, unlatch the sides and lift off the ring. Use a wide metal spatula to transfer the cake to a platter. (I use a small pizza peel for this). Be sure to slip the spatula or peel UNDER the parchment paper on the bottom of the cake.

For the Cross, I first used a stencil made from an online image that I then printed out. Later I ordered a metal template from a cooking supply place in France. I couldn't find one in the US.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nobody likes almonds in our house. A full tarte is a bit much for one. I'll have to wait..

I didn’t ask. Can I please still copy?i will wait to make it though till my 3 and a half year low carb diet is over, it starts next year...

Nobody likes almonds in our house. A full tarte is a bit much for one. I'll have to wait..
Almond flour provides virtually no almond flavor, it is pretty neutral. If you leave out the almond extract, there will be no almond flavor at all. The taste will be more lemony, in a bright, refreshing way, especially if you replace the almond extract with lemon extract. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
OMG you mean I bypassed all that tarta de Santiago when I was avoiding wheat??!!
I might not have lost all that weight
I'm afraid to go back and let myself loose

Yes, @Nanc, it is perfect for those who are gluten intolerant or don't eat wheat! I've even made one using xylitol instead of sugar - so no carb (but xylitol can have a laxative effect, so only eat a small slice).

I like to grind some whole almonds myself, and add that to the almond meal. It gives a bit more texture.

OMG you mean I bypassed all that tarta de Santiago when I was avoiding wheat??!!
I might not have lost all that weight
I'm afraid to go back and let myself loose

It's best to ask the baker or restaurant if they use any wheat flour in their recipe. The traditional recipe doesn't use wheat flour at all, but, as with many things, bakers and cooks can deviate from tradition, especially since wheat is less expensive than almonds. You should find many tartas with your name on them, though. Also, keep in mind that even wheat flour-less bakery production can be cross contaminated with wheat flour, so if an allergy or intolerance is extreme, make an inquiry.

I have seen at least one recipe that uses wheat flour, but the bakery that I visited and "observed" in Madrid -- the head baker is from Galicia -- was proud to demonstrate his very traditional tarta production.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, @Nanc, it is perfect for those who are gluten intolerant or don't eat wheat! I've even made one using xylitol instead of sugar - so no carb (but xylitol can have a laxative effect, so only eat a small slice).

I like to grind some whole almonds myself, and add that to the almond meal. It gives a bit more texture.

I like to do that, too :), although if I get lazy I always keep a stash of commercial almond flour in the refrigerator. I do a quick blanch of the almonds which lets me quickly slide off the skins, but I know some grind the almonds skin and all, which produces a "coarser" meal. Is that what you do?

Yes, mainly because I'm lazy! It is the easiest dessert. Served with a dollop of pure double cream..... (which is not how it is eaten in Galicia).

I use 2 teaspoons of cinnamon instead of the almond extract, and use lemon juice instead of rind. It's just a matter of taste.
For the cross, I copy an image from Google Images (Knights Templar cross), laminated the whole page then cut out the cross. Then use sticky tape to form a loop to lift it off the cake. Or you can get any local stainless steel worker to make a copy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's ok to grind almonds or it must be real flour?

Grinding almonds is just fine. Be sure to be watchful that your grinding doesn't turn to almond butter, though :) When I grind almonds, I generally remove the skins, or buy blanched and slivered almonds. The skins can be left on, it produces a 'coarser' grind that still works well for the recipe.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back