• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Missing the Camino like crazy

Frank66

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016 Camino Frances
September (2017) First stage of Camino Portugués
Hi, I walked the Camino Frances this May/June and it has altered me forever. The positives are that I am a lot more open-minded and have people that I consider my friends from all over the world.
The negative side, is that I am still struggling to come to terms with 'life after the Camino' even now. It is driving my wife to distraction!.. . I still fight the urge (on a daily basis) to drive myself to Stansted Airport, London and hop on the first available flight to Biarritz.
My wife isn't a walker and didn't have a great time of it whilst I was away, so doing it again as things stand is out of the question. She is an asthma sufferer so would be unable to join me in any future trips. I'm thinking of doing the odd week every year though to try and recapture some of the feeling of camaraderie that I experienced the first time around.
Missing the feeling!!:(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Frank,
Just a suggestion but perhaps your wife could join you in one of the many beautiful locations along the Camino once you have finished your walking? Alternatively you could share your experience with her by driving the route or a favourite portion.
I have been wrestling with this issue since 2008 and I have yet to convince my wife to at the very least meet me on the route. I would dearly love to share Burgos, Leon, OCebriero Santiago Finisterre Oporto, or any of the coastal towns on the Norte.
To date I haven't succeeded with the Mrs. But my daughter will be joining me in June 2017 for the Portuguese!
Regards
Jim

Life after the Camino is hard... But it gets better :)
Would it be a solution for both of you to go together like this: you on foot, your wife visiting/chilling out around the Camino with a car/camping car/... ? You could meet for agreed areas for breaks/lunch and find each others in the evening. I've met a lot of people doing this, it made everyone happy :) Another way to enjoy and share the Camino and its experience!
(Also, met lots of pilgrims with asthma... although, if she doesn't like to walk, that's another story...)
Keep it alive in your heart and soul! :)

full

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If I had all the money in the world as well as plenty of time, I would not hesitate one minute. I would return and walk for a longer time and distance to see all the places you are all talking about. Would my hubby join me? I don't know. I walked for the first time this past September. I know I will go back eventually, God willing.

Hello Frank,
Just a suggestion but perhaps your wife could join you in one of the many beautiful locations along the Camino

I have dreamt, since coming back from the Norte, of taking my parents with me on a Camino trip. Getting an apartment along the Euskotren line and settling in for a week or two. The parents wander around a different village or beach each day while I go to the beginning and walk the Camino in between the villages - taking the Euskotren back to them each night. The train is a metro service a Euro or two per ride. The Euskotren runs between Irun and Bilbao - along some of the most lovely parts of the Norte. http://www.euskotren.eus/es/Planos

This idea might work for you - it would also give you the opportunity to take your wife on shorter sections with no pack encumbering her.

Keep dreaming!

Kathy

Yes, unfortunately missing the Camino is a common consequence of setting out.

While it would never replace the Camino, perhaps you might look at joining a local walking group. It could provide some of the camaraderie that you so miss.

As for returning to the Camino, if suitable, have a look at some of the commercial operators who provide tours of parts of the Camino with different focuses. Would your wife be interested in a small bus tour and you could walk to meet her each night?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
aaaah....just go walk it again
your wife won't leave you over it
ain't like you are running off to be a football hooligan, or something
just kidding (sort of) :D
best of luck and hope you get to do it again (trust me, you will keep thinking about it)
cheers

Hi, I walked the Camino Frances this May/June and it has altered me forever. The positives are that I am a lot more open-minded and have people that I consider my friends from all over the world.
The negative side, is that I am still struggling to come to terms with 'life after the Camino' even now. It is driving my wife to distraction!.. . I still fight the urge (on a daily basis) to drive myself to Stansted Airport, London and hop on the first available flight to Biarritz.
My wife isn't a walker and didn't have a great time of it whilst I was away, so doing it again as things stand is out of the question. She is an asthma sufferer so would be unable to join me in any future trips. I'm thinking of doing the odd week every year though to try and recapture some of the feeling of camaraderie that I experienced the first time around.
Fortunately for you, it's not a 20+ hour ordeal to get to Spain like it is for some of us! I think that a week or 10 days should help with your camino-itis.

We know the feeling. Walked Leon to Santiago in March this year and loved it so much we are planning to go back in March next year to start from SJPDP hopefully to Leon. My wife and I are teachers and have taken long service leave to do this and other bucket list items. Can't wait to get back

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife joined me in Sarria last year and enjoyed the last part of the journey. Since then we have completed Hadrian's Wall which she found very hard in some places, as I did. We had a long discussion relating to a further camino and my wife (bless her) said that long distance walking was something for me to do alone. Shame because I did enjoy the journey together.
When I got back I joined the local Ramblers, not the same as camino walking but it gets me out for some lovely walks.

Many of the ideas above are excellent ways to cope with "Caminoitis." I, too, experienced the same dynamic with my loving wife after my first Camino in 2013.

The affects of my first Camino (complete Frances, solo, from St. Jean Pied de Port to Sanitago) were literally life-changing for me. Were it not for the fact that I have responsibilities for aged parents and my tiny family here (me, my wife and a cat), I would be living in Spain, volunteering full-time.

In fact, shortly after returning home in June 2013, I literally wanted to pull an "apostle" and walk away from my past life to take on the life of a Camino "hobo," albeit with a modest regular income. Being a responsible, boring fellow, I restrained that impulse... But, doing subsequent Caminos only reinforced the first-impression. I am hooked! i cherish my time in Spain and always lament coming back home.

However, although we are both retired and on pensions, my wife of more than 37 years and I were able to negotiate a compromise solution. All things in life are negotiable...except perhaps death...and maybe taxes... But, in a marriage, all things are on the table, so to speak.

So, in return for moving anywhere in the world my wife chose on her retirement, and in a home of my wife's choosing and decoration, I am allocated one Camino and one volunteer stint annually. This might sound one-sided but, as we live in the US (South Florida), it takes at least a full day to travel to Spain or France. The costs are also not insignificant. Besides, I would have agreed to almost anything to get this result.

So, in 2015, we sold our home in Virginia, and moved to south Florida, bought and completely renovated a home, and decorated it primarily to my wife's liking. I have been relegated to one of the several guest bedrooms, to serve as my office, "dog house," or "man cave." In the process, the wife also scored a new SUV. I am a big believer in "happy wife...happy life."

As most of you know, after doing one or more Caminos, you find that material things just do not matter as much anymore. Most of us come to realize that we can only wear one change of clothing at a time, and that we can do quite nicely thank you, with what is in our rucksacks.

With two household moves in one-year, one long-distance from the north, some 1,600 km south, and another local move, I have been keeping the local Goodwill folks happy with charitable clothing donations. I have also been toting duffle bags loaded with excess Camino-capable clothing and Camino gear to the Pilgrim House in Santiago when I return there. This coming summer will be no different from last July.

I now regard my home as a place to store my accumulated stuff, and to house ME between Camino-related activities. I just do not care about landscaping, fabric choices or wall colors anymore... In the grand scheme of things, it truly does not matter. Fortunately, my wife has an outstanding interior design and decorating sense.

So, our home is striking. But, for me, that is a corollary benefit. As long as I have space for my Camino gear, and I can pack a rucksack and head for the airport in hours, I am content. I know the Camino will ALWAYS be there, waiting for me to return. It is my security blanket, my "safe space," if you will. It might be an expensive "hobby." But it is what keeps me sane in retirement. I hope to be able to remain active and to give back well into the future.

But, for us, this overall arrangement works. My wife has her life and interests. I have mine. BTW, we have no children so that bit it made infinitely easier.

We are blessed in being able to arrange our budget so we can afford these activities. In fact the overall cost of living in Florida, versus Virginia, is lower; significantly enough so that it adequately covers the costs of all my annual Camino activities.

My wife is not interested in doing a Camino. But, she is very interested in traveling to Spain with me in future.

So, we have discussed possibly cobbling together a "Morse Code Camino." I coined this term to describe a Camino made up of walking "dots" and riding "dashes." The idea is be to have my wife experience the entire Camino Frances, walking the most scenic and historic parts (dots), while connecting these places with bus, train or even taxi rides (dashes). Of course, hostal and hotel stays would be de rigeur. I have covered all or most of this route three times since 2013. So, I know which parts to emphasize.

She well understands that she will have to walk the final five or six day stretch from Sarria to qualify for her Compostela. This is in a future plan.

We shall see...

@Frank66
After I walked my first camino, in the fall of 2015, I wanted to repeat the experience. I thought that this might be impossible, since I had no control over my calling to my first camino or over what I experienced on it. So I decided to try to help others, especially first timers, on my second camino. Again, I had no control over what happened on my camino. But by the end of it I knew what called me to go on camino. Briefly, it is the only way that I can experience anything like what some others experience during retreats. That is, experience spiritual insights. For you, "the feeling of camaraderie" is what you miss about the camino. For both of us, I guess that the camino is a place and a way that we can have important experiences that we do not have otherwise.
I find that I am now being called to serve others on the camino as a hospitelera, and have signed up for the training in the spring, as well as planning to continue with my Spanish studies. Can you think of ways that you can experience that feeling of camaraderie in future? I know that there are pilgrim routes and organizations in England. Is there anything there for you? If you decide to do short camino walks, as you can fit them into your life, perhaps you might try routes like the Sarria to Santiago route or some of the shorter routes, where you could meet other pilgrims as they begin their walk and continue that ongoing contact during the rest of the route to Santiago. You can find a way. Blessings as you turn your longing into a plan.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know the feeling, did my first Camino with my wife. I was hooked but she was not, so did my next Caminos with an old friend. I'd like to do it with her, but she do not want to go, so I'll go with a friend again. I have to accept that she is a bit mad to me. Only nine months to go...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi. I did the Camino Northern Route in July and August. I have cronic asthma and less than 50% lung capacity. I did it on my own. I took the up hills slowly, huffing and puffing, stopong yo get my breath back if I ran out of it. The walk helped. I took no blue Puffa at any time and was reducing my preventer when I had to come home. within days of being back in London I needed blue and found my chest tighter. crap London air I guess and clean air in Northern Spain. But I know what you mean. Keep thinking Camino thoughts and want to do Frances or Primitivo next (soon!)

Hi Frank. I'm with you all the way on that one! I walked the Frances in April and May this year from SJPP and we may have even met at some point? Wasn't it brilliant?. I live in Detby and walk with the Derbyshire Dales Ramblers and I gave a presentation yesterday to around 30 of them of my journey. The feedback I got was great and doing it helped me re-live the whole journey again. Like you I met some brilliant people and have them as friends on Facebook. We talk from time to time and I love following their lives and what their up to and why wouldn't I? They are my Camino family. Unique and special.
To quote Chrissie from Arizona.....' Pete, the real thinking starts when you get home'.....how right she was. I wrote a blog everyday and I often read it and it makes me smile. The Camino is such a wonderful adventure and I'm going to do the Northern Camino next September. I can't wait.
You are amongst brothers and sisters on this forum my friend. We are all better for the Camino and hopefully in time your partner will see that.
If you get time come and walk in the peaks sometime. It would be nice to meet and chat.
Pete

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I met a lovely couple of the Camino Frances. He walked and she drove. She would meet him at the next town that they would be staying at. She was the official photographer, tour guide and travel agent. They both saw the same and similar sights and shared their experiences at the end of the day.

My life is now primarily divided into two areas. Walking a Camino route and when not walking a Camino route, planning for the next Camino and of course ceaseless training and conditioning as well.
Training is not just walking, but core strengthening exercises as well. I learned the hard way in 2014 by not being in top shape, even though I was an avid cyclist, not the same as walking as I found out. The last two Camino's were considerably easier with what I learned on the first one.
Been on a Camino three years in a row and will do the Portuguese route next April and possibly the del Norte route next fall. I am retired now, so I have the time.
It is a way of life now that I will continue as long as I am able.
Now in the best shape of my life.

Funny that Camino thing. I did SJPP to Santiago last fall ... not doing it again, nope, not what I thought it would be, not into the communal thing, the rain was too much .... but the beer and wine is pretty good, and I didn't spend as much time in Leon as I wanted and there was that one section that I would do differently, and I wonder if April/May is better than Sept/Oct. So yes, I admit, I am actively planning it again for next fall. I have things to do differently, maybe, and as a single female traveller I have established it as safe so I can walk with more ease this time around therefore providing a completely different experience.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all, I have walked 8 camino's with my husband and although I am an asthma sufferer I have found that I am better off in the outdoors during the walk and only really, really suffer when in the albergues. Maybe your wife's medical practitioner could prescribe her some preventative medication (specifically inhalers as I use twice a day) to try and curb the attacks when in the albergues as on the trail the fresh air makes for great breathing.

Funny that Camino thing. I did SJPP to Santiago last fall ... not doing it again, nope, not what I thought it would be, not into the communal thing, the rain was too much .... but the beer and wine is pretty good, and I didn't spend as much time in Leon as I wanted and there was that one section that I would do differently, and I wonder if April/May is better than Sept/Oct. So yes, I admit, I am actively planning it again for next fall. I have things to do differently, maybe, and as a single female traveller I have established it as safe so I can walk with more ease this time around therefore providing a completely different experience.
Many, many thanks.

Hi Frank,I am relieved to have found your post. I walked from Sarria to Santiago in April this year,and I miss the Camino everyday since being back..its only been 6 weeks since my return,but feels like eternally! I have cried myself awake once after dreaming of being on the Camino,and had a second dream recently. I find solace in my photos,staying in touch with friends I made,and also reading Letters to a young poet..it clarifies the enjoyment of solitude. I know that I must return to the Camino..it has become an integral part of me. I echo your longing!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The feeling gets better. I have friends who do a week a year. I did the northern route last year and am doing a mini camino next month. The finesterre route. Frank. Are you sure your wide can't join you? I'd she has her inhalers and you take it easy? I have COPD and took the hills slowly. The air was pure and I felt better.

Life after the Camino is hard... But it gets better :)
Would it be a solution for both of you to go together like this: you on foot, your wife visiting/chilling out around the Camino with a car/camping car/... ? You could meet for agreed areas for breaks/lunch and find each others in the evening. I've met a lot of people doing this, it made everyone happy :) Another way to enjoy and share the Camino and its experience!
(Also, met lots of pilgrims with asthma... although, if she doesn't like to walk, that's another story...)
Keep it alive in your heart and soul! :)

full
I was going to propose the same idea. While we were walking in 2016, we met a man, whom we saw every day as we were approaching our day’s destination. This man was always walking on the opposite direction, as if he were coming back from Santiago. After seeing him four or five days in a row, we stopped and asked him what he was doing; he was obviously not doing the Camino (he looked always rested, clean and smiling). The man replied his wife was the one walking, and he was taking it easy, driving every day from point A to point B to wait for her. In the evenings, we would see both of them having dinner together.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back