• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Missing the Camino

MargiSchmidt

CF: SJPP to Santiago Sept-Oct 2022
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Sept 9, 2022...First One
Is it strange to be completely heartsick that my camino is over?

I walked the Camino Frances last Sept / Oct. and am now reviewing pictures and accomodations to assist a family member prepare for his camino.
My heart just hurts I'm missing it so.
I want and need to go back.

I complained about being tired when I called home to talk to my husband. (Only a couple times)
And now I'd give anything to be tired like that again!

After those calls, my musician husband wrote some silly lyrics to an old Kink's melody and I put my photos to his little song.
Just wanted to share it...So Tired Music Video

Best wishes to all of you doing the camino this year.....so jelly!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nothing strange here at all, it is as common as grass. Post Camino Syndrome is a thing. I received no fewer than four emails/phone calls in the past three weeks from former first timers I had walked with, who were missing the Camino. Typical complaints are a wistful longing, distraction, selective memory, daydreaming, and a compulsion to watch That Movie over and over again. There is no known cure for this syndrome. Your best course of treatment is to plan your second. Even planning seems to reduce the symptoms somewhat.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Better be careful.

I've walked my 5th Camino last year. Having walked most of the major ones, thought it would be my last.

This thought lasted 4-5 weeks. Then that nagging feeling started again, which has now turned into a (impossible to ignore) itch.

So there are only two solutions for you:
  1. start scratching and don't stop until you're too old to walk another one.
  2. start planning.
Good luck.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nothing strange here at all, it is as common as grass. Post Camino Syndrome is a thing. I received no fewer than four emails/phone calls in the past three weeks from former first timers I had walked with, who were missing the Camino. Typical complaints are a wistful longing, distraction, selective memory, daydreaming, and a compulsion to watch That Movie over and over again. There is no known cure for this syndrome. Your best course of treatment is to plan your second. Even planning seems to reduce the symptoms somewhat.
I do believe you are right-it's time to start planning again!....The wistful longing and selective memory are particularly strong right now...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I walked the Camino Frances last Sept / Oct. and am now reviewing pictures and accomodations to assist a family member prepare for his camino.

I complained about being tired when I called home to talk to my husband. (Only a couple times)

After those calls, my musician husband wrote some silly lyrics to an old Kink's melody and I put my photos to his little song.

Hello fellow San Diegan!

These are all normal feelings. I’m on the Camino right now for the 3rd time (Villamayor de Monjardin). Clearly I’m hooked.

Start planning the next one

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for sharing. Agreed that the best remedy is to buy some guidebooks (from Ivar?) and start planning, even if you have no dates/routes in mind.

Thanks for sharing. Agreed that the best remedy is to buy some guidebooks (from Ivar?) and start planning, even if you have no dates/routes in mind.
Yeah, I think that's the only solution. Right now, I can't stop the urge to say "buen camino" to my fellow dog walkers in the park...

So cute… great video and memories.
I’m walking Mid-October this year…and I was going to ask you how much rain you experienced? I think I only saw one rainy day there? Or how was it?- thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

You are not alone, I also did my Camino in Sept-Oct. and at that time, I was adamant that this would be my only Camino and I poured all of myself into it. Now that I have Camino buddies returning the call of St. James, I find myself longing to be on the way ... again.

Let’s not close the Camino door and hopefully we find ourselves dusting off that backpack and those hiking shoes to make it to Santiago de Compostela yet again. Buen Camino

I solo hiked the CF in 2019. Thinking of biking it with my buddy in 2024. I had an overall amazing experience disconnecting for a little over a month and enjoying the wonderful journey from SJPP to SDC. Missing it seems normal to me if you truly enjoyed your camino.

Margischmidt that was a beautiful video your husband has a great voice ! I start my Camino Frances next week April 15th🥾🥾🥾I’m so excited ! Just me and my 15 pound backpack that I can’t decided if I should bring a poncho for rain or my rain pants and rain jacket 🤦🏻‍♀️

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've walked my 5th Camino last year. Having walked most of the major ones, thought it would be my last.
I've never understood this idea that, having done a Camino (or a particular Camino route), one wouldn't want to repeat it. If it is a great experience, why would one not want to repeat it? I understand there are many other places to spend one's time and one only has so much time to go around. Yet...

Can you imagine someone saying, after hearing a great song "That song was wonderful! I never want to hear it again."? Or perhaps, after eating a delectable dish saying "Oh my God, that recipe is marvellous. Never serve it to me again."? Why should a Camino be different?

The thing about a Camino is that for some of us, it takes a bit of time and perspective to discover how wonderful it is. Memories of the hard times recede and appreciation of the benefits becomes more apparent. I know for my son, as we approached the end of our Camino he was asking why anyone would want to do it more than once. Yet six months later he had changed his tune.

The pull to walk a Camino once more is not uncommon. Especially not on a forum like this one. I'd say it makes perfect sense, as per my rhetorical questions above. But I am not unbiased.

I've never understood this idea that, having done a Camino (or a particular Camino route), one wouldn't want to repeat it. If it is a great experience, why would one not want to repeat it? I understand there are many other places to spend one's time and one only has so much time to go around. Yet...

Can you imagine someone saying, after hearing a great song "That song was wonderful! I never want to hear it again."? Or perhaps, after eating a delectable dish saying "Oh my God, that recipe is marvellous. Never serve it to me again."? Why should a Camino be different?

The thing about a Camino is that for some of us, it takes a bit of time and perspective to discover how wonderful it is. Memories of the hard times recede and appreciation of the benefits becomes more apparent. I know for my son, as we approached the end of our Camino he was asking why anyone would want to do it more than once. Yet six months later he had changed his tune.

The pull to walk a Camino once more is not uncommon. Especially not on a forum like this one. I'd say it makes perfect sense, as per my rhetorical questions above. But I am not unbiased.
Love your analogy. I plan on using it. Thank you!

Margischmidt that was a beautiful video your husband has a great voice ! I start my Camino Frances next week April 15th🥾🥾🥾I’m so excited ! Just me and my 15 pound backpack that I can’t decided if I should bring a poncho for rain or my rain pants and rain jacket 🤦🏻‍♀️
Thank you so much! With regard to the poncho question...I used my windproof jacket and a poncho. No rain paints. I was rained on quite a bit and was quite comfortable. My leggings dried very quickly when I stopped for a break. Hope that helps!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So cute… great video and memories.
I’m walking Mid-October this year…and I was going to ask you how much rain you experienced? I think I only saw one rainy day there? Or how was it?- thanks!
I had several very rainy days, but I somehow enjoyed it. The sound of the rain hitting my poncho was quite pleasant and I dried out nicely whenever I stopped for an indoor break.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.