• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Missing Walker in the Haute Savoie, France

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello - I dont know if it's ok to post this information here but an online friend has gone missing and as she is a keen walking I thought I would post the search information here for folks to read and maybe share if relevant.

Carol Sheridan (aged 73) has gone missing in the French Alps, probably whilst out on one of her frequent mountain walks. Carol lives in Habere Poche, in the Haute Savoie departement about 20 miles from Lake Geneva.

She is mad keen on hiking alone in the mountains, and will often take off in her car to find a remote mountain pass where she can walk and enjoy the amazing scenery.

On Saturday last, she was seen driving out of her car park by a neighbour, and she has not been sighted since.

She drives a black Fiat Panda 4x4 reg: AZ 522 AP. She could be parked on a mountain pass, waiting for help to arrive if she has broken down. The walks she goes on are in very remote areas, but she does occasionally see other walkers and cyclists.

There is a facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/carolsheridanmissing

The family hope to share this information with as many people as possible in the hope that Carol is found safe and well.

thank you

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For anyone who was following this or had shared the post with other groups... sadly this was reported this morning from her Grandson - Carol's body was recovered in the Alps near one of her favourite walks.

I am very sad to announce that French authorities recovered Carol’s body this morning, near to where her car was found a few days ago. There are no further details from the police at the moment.

We would like to thank everyone who helped in the search, whether by sharing through social media, contacting the press or actually going out and looking. Your efforts meant the world to us; they made us feel supported and they showed us how loved she was - that so many people were so desperate to find her.

Thank you also for the messages of support and sympathy over the last week. They have helped our family through a very difficult time.

I understand now that people will want to show further support and it is natural that many friends and friends of the family will want to be in touch and talk about what has happened. However, I would ask you all to respect that this is a very, very difficult time for us, and as a family right now we would like the privacy to come to terms with what has happened.

We still welcome your messages of support and condolence, but ask that, for now, you restrict them to posting on the wall in this group.

Carol was an amazing woman who lived an amazing life. She was dearly loved by many and will be hugely missed by all of us. Personally, I am taking some comfort in that her last moments were spent doing something she loved.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Les Brass. I'm so sorry that I somehow managed to miss this post first time around. My sincere condolences to you and her family and friends.

Les Brass so very sorry to hear your sad news may Carol's Soul rest in peace and my sincere condolences to her family and to you also.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thoughts with you and family Les Brass.
73. That's no age.
Bless all in mourning, may you find strength in each other.

Such sad news. Wishing all your family peace and healing as you mourn.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family at this very sad time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for all these kind words.

I only knew carol online - she was a keen walker and loved walking in remote places... she was a very fit and active woman... certainly age was just a number for her!

Another friend wrote that they had talked about her walks, and she had said words to the effect that, if she died falling off a mountain, then so be it. She knew she was taking risks, but she was a risk taker. The bits he knew about her life were full of risk, she lived life to the full.

She was very much a silver surfer and had a great number of on-line friends - she often talked at length about the region she lived in and the walks she took and she was highly respected. There has been a great number of wonderful comments on various forums and I'm sure all these thoughts and prayers will be much appreciated and bring some comfort for the family.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.