A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Missing woman in Sierra de Madrid

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Since 24th August Blanca Fernández Ochoa is missing.
Blanca (56) is very popular in Spain because she was the first Spanish woman who won an olimpic medal in ski.
Her car was found yesterday in parking Las Dehesas (Cercedilla). She likes walking alone in Sierra de Madrid and has done two Caminos.
Pilgrims doing the stage Cercedilla -Segovia will see in these days the big deployment (police and helicopters)
in Valle de la Fuenfria and north Sierra.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Oh, my :(

She's just a bit older than me and coming from the nation where alpine skiing is national sport I remember her well watching every single TV broadcast of skiing championship for years.
EDIT: Her father brother was also well known alpine skier and has a statue right on the Camino in the center (pedestrian zone) of Cercedilla.

Hope she's OK and nothing bad happened to her.

Last edited:

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Oh, my :(

She's just a bit older than me and coming from the nation where alpine skiing is national sport I remember her well watching every single TV broadcast of skiing championship for years.
Her father was also well known alpine skier and has a statue right on the Camino in the center (pedestrian zone) of Cercedilla.

Hope she's OK and nothing bad happened to her.
The statue in Cercedilla is of her brother Paco, olympic gold medal.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I remember in albergue in Pajares on Salvador the staircase from the dinning/living room to the dormitories on the first floor decorated by different brands of skis. One of them were Elan. Very famous Slovenian brand on which Ingemar Stenmark won all those medals and wins. I was so proud (being a Slovenian) :)

And when I walked past Paco's statue I can say that I was equaly proud that I knew who the Ochoa family was in the world of Alpine skiing. Ah, even at this age a person can still be a little child I guess :D :D :D

Last edited:

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
After 10 days I think there aren't much chances, sorry to say. Maybe a little bit depending on cause (bleeding?), provisions (water?), clothes (hypothermia) etc. She being still very sporty and fit as the article says I'm still hoping for the best.

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Sad news.
Her body was found in Peñota peak. That is located 2 hours West from Puerto de la Fuenfria.
Peñota peak is a rocky area complicated to walk in dry that.can be very dangerous in wet terrain. Maybe a storm happened.
Montañera descansa en paz.

Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route.
How sad.
The article stated there were no signs of violence.
An autopsy is pending.

RIP Peregrina.

Last edited:

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 - 2019

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
Our condolences to her family and friends.
May she Rest In Peace.

Bala

Veteran member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
So sad to learn of this. May she rest in peace.

ISABEL linares

Camino(s) past & future
camino frances,camino del norte,camino frances
Blanca (56) is very popular in Spain because she was the first Spanish woman who won an olimpic medal in ski.
Her car was found yesterday in parking Las Dehesas (Cercedilla). She likes walking alone in Sierra de Madrid and has done two Caminos.
Pilgrims doing the stage Cercedilla -Segovia will see in these days the big deployment (police and helicopters)
They found the body for Blanca Fernandez Ochoa in the mountains. Descanse en Paz.

Tony Bobcat

Camino(s) past & future
May 2017
Sorry to hear the sad news, at least she died enjoying what she loved.

MinaKamina

Camino(s) past & future
Jacobspad 2017
According to sources near the investigation, the remains show signs of a fall, with a wound to the head.

https://elpais.com/deportes/2019/09/04/actualidad/1567596684_309463.html?ssm=TW_CM

The news about a fall appears not to be true. Blanca Fernández Ochoa had no wounds to her head, and she was found in a location that cannot be reached by falling or rolling. The place is described as a 'mirador' a spot of naural beauty with a great view over the sierra.

"all the indications found by the investigators assure that the death would not have been caused by an accident, since the body did not present signs of violence and was found in a natural position."

https://www.diezminutos.es/famosos-corazon/famosos-espanoles/a28940984/blanca-fernandez-ochoa-detalles-autopsia/

Galuh

Camino(s) past & future
mei 2016
The news about a fall appears not to be true. Blanca Fernández Ochoa had no wounds to her head, and she was found in a location that cannot be reached by falling or rolling. The place is described as a 'mirador' a spot of naural beauty with a great view over the sierra.

"all the indications found by the investigators assure that the death would not have been caused by an accident, since the body did not present signs of violence and was found in a natural position."

https://www.diezminutos.es/famosos-corazon/famosos-espanoles/a28940984/blanca-fernandez-ochoa-detalles-autopsia/

If this is the case, RIP Blanca

jerbear

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de madrid, camino francis, camino inverino (2012, 2013,2014)
CdM, Francis, San salvador, primativo june 2015 CDM , francis, inverino 2016
Camino madrid, via de Plata. Santiago.
Coast of the dead malpica to muxia
Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
duds Camino de Madrid 1
OLDER threads on this topic
missing message

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%