• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Missing woman in Sierra de Madrid

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Since 24th August Blanca Fernández Ochoa is missing.
Blanca (56) is very popular in Spain because she was the first Spanish woman who won an olimpic medal in ski.
Her car was found yesterday in parking Las Dehesas (Cercedilla). She likes walking alone in Sierra de Madrid and has done two Caminos.
Pilgrims doing the stage Cercedilla -Segovia will see in these days the big deployment (police and helicopters)
in Valle de la Fuenfria and north Sierra.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh, my :(

She's just a bit older than me and coming from the nation where alpine skiing is national sport I remember her well watching every single TV broadcast of skiing championship for years.
EDIT: Her father brother was also well known alpine skier and has a statue right on the Camino in the center (pedestrian zone) of Cercedilla.

Hope she's OK and nothing bad happened to her.

Last edited:
Oh, my :(

She's just a bit older than me and coming from the nation where alpine skiing is national sport I remember her well watching every single TV broadcast of skiing championship for years.
Her father was also well known alpine skier and has a statue right on the Camino in the center (pedestrian zone) of Cercedilla.

Hope she's OK and nothing bad happened to her.
The statue in Cercedilla is of her brother Paco, olympic gold medal.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I remember in albergue in Pajares on Salvador the staircase from the dinning/living room to the dormitories on the first floor decorated by different brands of skis. One of them were Elan. Very famous Slovenian brand on which Ingemar Stenmark won all those medals and wins. I was so proud (being a Slovenian) :)

And when I walked past Paco's statue I can say that I was equaly proud that I knew who the Ochoa family was in the world of Alpine skiing. Ah, even at this age a person can still be a little child I guess :D :D :D

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After 10 days I think there aren't much chances, sorry to say. Maybe a little bit depending on cause (bleeding?), provisions (water?), clothes (hypothermia) etc. She being still very sporty and fit as the article says I'm still hoping for the best.

Sad news.
Her body was found in Peñota peak. That is located 2 hours West from Puerto de la Fuenfria.
Peñota peak is a rocky area complicated to walk in dry that.can be very dangerous in wet terrain. Maybe a storm happened.
Montañera descansa en paz.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How sad.
The article stated there were no signs of violence.
An autopsy is pending.

RIP Peregrina.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Blanca (56) is very popular in Spain because she was the first Spanish woman who won an olimpic medal in ski.
Her car was found yesterday in parking Las Dehesas (Cercedilla). She likes walking alone in Sierra de Madrid and has done two Caminos.
Pilgrims doing the stage Cercedilla -Segovia will see in these days the big deployment (police and helicopters)
They found the body for Blanca Fernandez Ochoa in the mountains. Descanse en Paz.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry to hear the sad news, at least she died enjoying what she loved.

According to sources near the investigation, the remains show signs of a fall, with a wound to the head.

https://elpais.com/deportes/2019/09/04/actualidad/1567596684_309463.html?ssm=TW_CM

The news about a fall appears not to be true. Blanca Fernández Ochoa had no wounds to her head, and she was found in a location that cannot be reached by falling or rolling. The place is described as a 'mirador' a spot of naural beauty with a great view over the sierra.

"all the indications found by the investigators assure that the death would not have been caused by an accident, since the body did not present signs of violence and was found in a natural position."

https://www.diezminutos.es/famosos-...984/blanca-fernandez-ochoa-detalles-autopsia/

The news about a fall appears not to be true. Blanca Fernández Ochoa had no wounds to her head, and she was found in a location that cannot be reached by falling or rolling. The place is described as a 'mirador' a spot of naural beauty with a great view over the sierra.

"all the indications found by the investigators assure that the death would not have been caused by an accident, since the body did not present signs of violence and was found in a natural position."

https://www.diezminutos.es/famosos-...984/blanca-fernandez-ochoa-detalles-autopsia/

If this is the case, RIP Blanca

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back