• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Missives from the Camino Madrid

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for this evocative description of your Camino de Madrid. I imagine that your experience walking to Sahagún might compare to the experience of those solitary pilgrims who walked the Frances many years ago. As a consequence I’m adding the Madrid to my thinking about the next time to Santiago.
All the best,
Paul

Thanks for this evocative description of your Camino de Madrid. I imagine that your experience walking to Sahagún might compare to the experience of those solitary pilgrims who walked the Frances many years ago. As a consequence I’m adding the Madrid to my thinking about the next time to Santiago.
All the best,
Paul
Glad you liked it Paul. It was everything I had hoped for and much much more. I encourage you to give it serious consideration. Cheers!
Robert

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Robert B. I have read the blog twice and enjoyed it a lot. Your stages was nearly the same as my planned stages for my camino next May. Hope to start the 8th. Do you remember the name of the hotel you stayed in in Navacerrada? Seems like a good choice if the mountain is not passable. Thanks for sharing the blog!

@Robert B. I have read the blog twice and enjoyed it a lot. Your stages was nearly the same as my planned stages for my camino next May. Hope to start the 8th. Do you remember the name of the hotel you stayed in in Navacerrada? Seems like a good choice if the mountain is not passable. Thanks for sharing the blog!
You are very welcome - I am so glad you enjoyed it! The hotel is a pretty fancy one, but through Booking.com I was able to secure an extremely reasonable rate for a lovely room and a big, included breakfast. Here is their website address. https://haciendalosrobles.com/web/ Enjoy your Camino!

Thanks!🙂🙂

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Robert B. Thank you for the link to your blog, it's awesome! I've only read up to Sahagun so far. I'll continue another day. So much information & inspiration!
@gerardcarey, have you seen this thread?

Thanks for your beautiful pictures. It's awesome and very inspiring . I will be at CM May 2020. You mentioned several times that US pilgrims are kinda not so welcomed, but Canadiens are. I am wondering if that is a new "thing" as I experienced that in Germany too. Sad. :(

Thanks for your beautiful pictures. It's awesome and very inspiring . I will be at CM May 2020. You mentioned several times that US pilgrims are kinda not so welcomed, but Canadiens are. I am wondering if that is a new "thing" as I experienced that in Germany too. Sad. :(
As a Canadian, I have felt embraced and warmly welcomed on my journeys around the world and feel blessed. I most certainly don't want to give the wrong impression about our American friends. It was not so much my feeling that US pilgrims are not welcome, but that there is a possibility that in certain situations they may be be regarded in a different light, particularly of late. Unfortunately, I did have a couple of unpleasant encounters and was deeply affected and saddened by them. But, as most people who have experienced the world, I have found that people are good everywhere and are often misunderstood due to circumstances far beyond their control. Enjoy your Camino in May!

Last edited:
Hi Petra, when are you starting?, I’m beginning last week of April, glad to know there’ll be others on the route👍

Hi Petra, when are you starting?, I’m beginning last week of April, glad to know there’ll be others on the route👍
I am starting on 22nd April. There will be 4 of us- all Aussies.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll be interested to hear how it goes Sharon. Hope you get nice cool weather.
Thanks Heather. Hope so too. After reading how hot it was in September for you, we changed our dates.

Thanks Heather. Hope so too. After reading how hot it was in September for you, we changed our dates.
Definitely no white water streams to cross between Tres Cantos and Colmenar Viejo at that time of year :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Strange,I thought I would never want to repeat the Camino Madrid but now I think I would like to try it in Spring. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Strange,I thought I would never want to repeat the Camino Madrid but now I think I would like to try it in Spring. :)
Funny, I thought I was ready to move to another route but the Camino Madrid is calling me back as well!!!

Just this weekend, we were discussing caminos, and my husband and I both agreed that this is the one we want to repeat...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for sharing your blog, Robert. I enjoyed it a lot and it brought back such happy memories of the Camino de Madrid.

Your encounter with the Coca hospitalera made me smile. I remember arriving in the town and contemplating a hotel night, but her enthusiastic welcome (or benevolent kidnapping!) drew me straight to the albergue. I had a similar experience in Santa María la Real de Nieva, when another elderly person seemed to be waiting for my arrival and marched me to the little albergue. So much kindness and genuine interest in pilgrims on this route.

Rioseco to Villalón was also one of my favourite days - there was something very special about being in those vast fields and skies. I didn't want that day to end.

Really great to read your blog Robert as I'm planning to walk the Camino Madrid next and hopefully on to the Salvador from Leon. Especially after walking the wonderful Invierno, the quieter more solitary routes are definitely for me!

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back