A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Mixed-method Camino - no distance certificate/compostela?

2020 Camino Guides

nickymd1

Camino(s) past & future
CdN + Fisterra 2017
Jakobsweg (Imperii + Regia) | BER-Leipzig-Naumburg 2018
Burgos-SdC 2019
Hi all,
Does anyone know if one is still technically eligible for a distance certificate if one mixes modes?

I started walking the 'real' camino from my front door last year and would like to walk the rest of Jakobsweg through to France next spring. I'm seriously considering switching to my bike for the french portion of the Camino though, as much due to time considerations as expense/linguistic ones, before switching back to á pied from near Ostabat (not sure if continuing CF or CdN thereafter). I'd love to have a (final) pair of cathedral-stamped documents saying I made the trip from Berlin and would hate to miss receiving them due to a technical rule. Does anyone know if the Pilgrims Office has a policy on this?

Thanks!
*final because I'm not likely to stand in line a fourth time, not final because it'll be my last Camino ;)

Tincatinker

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
There don’t appear to be any rules in regards to the distance certificate other than “on foot, bicycle or horse”, evidenced by “sellos”. But beware the “recognized” Camino rule. Try to avoid wobbling about too much 😉

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
The only KMs that count for the Compostela are the last 100 km by foot, or the last 200 by bike. The distance certificate is another story. I did a combo of the Frances, Salvador and Norte this year. I kept track of my distance, and that is what was recorded for me on my distance certificate.

benny aumala

Camino(s) past & future
may-june 2016
may-june (2019)
There might be rules when entering Albergues. They look the sellos for continuation.

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Again, soon as possible!
There might be rules when entering Albergues. They look the sellos for continuation.
I have never experienced this. I can't remember a hospitalera checking my last sello for continuation. I have walked the Frances backwards three times and no one in any albergue said anything. (Well, apart from calling me loco). But maybe I just never noticed?

Davey

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Again, soon as possible!
As far as I can gather the OP won't have a problem. If from Berlin you walked, rode a biycycle, and used a donkey on different stages, as long as the last 200km (bike or donkey) or 100km on foot is on a 'recognized camino' in won't matter. It is that last section they will be checking in the office.

When I first walked I heard of a guy who started in Moscow. Apparently he hitch hiked until he hit a camino trail in Western Europe then walked from there. He received the compostela of course. He received a distance certificate from Moscow (probably out of respect).

Davey

Tincatinker

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
There are all sorts of rules when entering Albergues ;). But in this instance some Albergues, and typically the Donativo, Paroquial and Xunta Albergues, might look for a continuity of journey westward or eastward but they are well aware that walkers and bikers cover vastly different distances in a day.

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
f from Berlin you walked, rode a biycycle, and used a donkey on different stages, as long as the last 200km (bike or donkey) or 100km on foot is on a 'recognized camino' in won't matter.
The pilgrim office website doesn't actually mention donkeys but I would guess they would treat that like riding a horse - in which case the minimum distance is 100km, the same as walking.

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Again, soon as possible!
The pilgrim office website doesn't actually mention donkeys but I would guess they would treat that like riding a horse - in which case the minimum distance is 100km, the same as walking.
I really thought using a horse/donk was 200km. I stand corrected!

Davey

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
Hi all,
Does anyone know if one is still technically eligible for a distance certificate if one mixes modes?

I started walking the 'real' camino from my front door last year and would like to walk the rest of Jakobsweg through to France next spring. I'm seriously considering switching to my bike for the french portion of the Camino though, as much due to time considerations as expense/linguistic ones, before switching back to á pied from near Ostabat (not sure if continuing CF or CdN thereafter). I'd love to have a (final) pair of cathedral-stamped documents saying I made the trip from Berlin and would hate to miss receiving them due to a technical rule. Does anyone know if the Pilgrims Office has a policy on this?

Thanks!
*final because I'm not likely to stand in line a fourth time, not final because it'll be my last Camino ;)
As others have said, it won't be a problem to switch modes in France. It is only a problem if you switch modes in the last 100 or 200 km immediately before Santiago (depending on your mode).

Camino(s) past & future
Levant from Avila 2013
If I walk the Camino Primitivo Camino Verde as far as Biomorto, then cut across to Lavacolla, am I still able to receive a Compostella in that the last 50 or 60 km will not be on an actual marked Camino route?

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Praorn Miscellaneous Topics 2
OLDER threads on this topic
My mixed Caminos of 2019

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 318 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 92 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 363 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock